96 GT engine???? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
96 GT engine????

After my dumb a$$ idea to drive through a flood which bent a rod, I took my car to get estimates. They company found a 96 GT with 95K on it for $700 ($900 installed) but they have to do it or I can't get the engine. I know it is the same as a 96 bird engine, but will I notice any improvements in power or will it be like driving a 97 Bird. I assume this place realizes that the two engines will appear different.

ps. I asked, they did not find a 99+ GT engine.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:18 AM
1st Gear Poster

If they couldn't find a 99+ GT engine I would guess that they already have the '96 engine on hand. No they aren't the same, similar yes, but not the same. Also, $200 seem awfully cheap for an installation, maybe it's just a good deal but I would get everything in writing before spending a penny. Check greenleafautoparts.com and see how many engines you can find. Just make sure what kind of 'pig is in the poke' before you buy it. Red
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:20 AM
6th Gear Poster

That's a lot of miles for a replacement engine. I would see if I could get them to foot the bill for a 1999 and up GT or Explorer motor with lower miles or get them to write me a $900 check and do it myself. Take the $900, buy an 2k2 explorer motor, mark8 convertor, and mark8 flexplate and be done

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
I checked. They even looked and asked around. They cannot find any 4.6 (Explorer or 99+ engine) that would be a lower price than a new engine, my insureance company will only give enough for this engine. Apparently people in these parts know what they have...or they are just over priced. I believe I am stuck with the 96 motor. Just a ? though, what did ford change from the 96 head to the 99. BTW the $900 installed should have said $900 installation to totall $1600 and then you have to include some other neccessities.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 10:29 AM
3rd Gear Poster

dude, if you can get $1600 ($700 for the engine and $900 for the install), i'd make them write you out a check and go get yer own stuff and you can actually get what you want, especially something with a lot less miles on it.....

if you do what Thunder said, you could get all the stuff he mentioned plus some other stuff, and come out way ahead
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 05:13 PM
RIP Jake

About $600 to R&R an engine in Crystal Riv. Fl.... that would leave a cool grand to buy a replacement mill... hi milers 95-96 go for $400 to $600 here in good condition, a really great mill worth a grand could be found... cant see things being that much more pricey in Ky..... look around a bit , youll come up with a good deal....Do not let the Ins. Co. push you around...demand the cash... go from there...good Luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in