PI swap question - Head surface? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

PI swap question - Head surface?

I getting ready to do a PI swap on my T-bird and this guy at work scarred the crap out of me about getting the heads to seal on the 4.6's. Apparently he used to work as a Ford mechanic, and talked about a bunch of horror stories and needing a mirror finish on the heads and block. I just wanted to get some info from some of the veterans swappers here.

This is the first for me. I have done several engine swaps, tranny swaps, changing manifolds and such, just have never done a set of heads. So this is all new.

The heads I have are used, in very good shape. They appear to have been hot tanked and reassembled. How good does the finish need to be? I could not understand the specs in the manual, do they really mean microns? What prep work should I do to the block/heads to have a high chance of success? Also, I have a set of Ford head gaskets, should I get a different brand?

Thanks

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to KrAzyT
i had alot of little scrathes but it didnt make a problem with the seal...

Car isn't running now so hmmmm who knows....

1996 Thunderbird 4.6 -Sold-
259.4 hp and 285.3 tq on mustang dyno
Bunch of motorcycles
2004 F150
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 02:44 PM
PostWhore

Well there is a teflon coating on them that you arent supposed to damage when cleaning the heads. There is a plastic scrapper and special compound used to get the old gasket material off. May have alil discoloration left but as long as you cant feel any large material. My friend has done several head gasket changes due to the oil leaks. You want to try to keep it scratch free as possible. Im sure light scratches wont effect it very much but try to keep them scratch free.

"You Should See the Front!"

1995 Lazer Red Cougar
[email protected]
Custom Tru Duals, PI 4.6, JModded Tranny w/ TC.
Programmed by SCT Xcal2
Thanks to PalmGuy I have this beautiful masterpiece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

You actually want a slightly scarred surface. It is possible to get it so clean nothing sticks to it.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 08:42 PM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
True, a rougher surface is better. Not TOO rough, or it won't seal. Anyone ever use JB weld before? Before applying it, you should "roughen" up the surface, for a better bond. Used it at work for our "aged, out of date, prototype Soda-Blaster" lol... what a piece of junk.

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:06 PM

aoldenbu - I think your co-worker/ex Ford mechanic might be right. A while back I found this article and other similar ones about how smooth the surface must be for the MLS gaskets to seal properly. I believe the SHM 4.6 book also references needing an almost mirror smooth finish - like in a range of 3-8 RA!

head surface finish article

From the reading I've done, a rough surface can seal fine for a while, but after continued heating/cooling cycles, the rough surface will tear the MLS gasket apart due to the different expansion/contractaction rates between the steel block and the aluminum heads. It may not be a problem at the beginning, but it might create problems down the road.

Last edited by tedh98; 06-14-2004 at 12:14 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

This has not given me a lot of confidence. I really took a close look at the heads again, and there are some slight grooves where the fire rings seal at. But for the most part the rest of the surface is clean, with slight discoloration in places. No pitting around any of the water passages. I'm going to get a second opinion, and most likely get then surfaced just to be safe.

Thanks guys

Andrew
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I would HIGHLY recommend that you research this more. According to EVERY Ford manual and everyone that I've talked to about the 4.6L engine, the Ra (Roughness average) is not the same as on other engines. It is a lot smoother and can't be obtained by just milling the heads and block. A lot of machine shops can't get the RA to be correct and don’t even have a way to measure it. So if a head or block has been surfaced, it probably does not have the correct RA.

The head and the block have to be much smoother than a normal engine.

Some reading:
http://www.federal-mogul.com/vgn/ima...20Brochure.pdf

However, there is a new gasket that can be used that does not require the surfaces to be as smooth. I have them sitting at home. I think they are Felpro, but I'll have to double check. They are made specifically for the 4.6L engines that do not have the correct RA number to use the OEM gasket. The gasket if more “forgiving”.

I researched this and am pulling my DOHC apart to just replace the head gaskets for this reason. I've read about a dozen articles in machine shop magazines that have gone into depth on this subject and the general consensus is that the Ra has to be correct to use the OEM gaskets. Not only of Ford, but any engine that uses a Multi Layer gasket.

Now with that said, and before someone tells me I'm talking out my arse, there are probably a lot of people that have just bolted the engine together and not had a failure.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in