94/95 Tbird vs NPI Mustang Cams - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

94/95 Tbird vs NPI Mustang Cams

Just an idea I am exploring but will the 96-98 Mustang cams work in a 95 Tbird? If they do, would there be any performance gain?

Kevin
Mid-Atlantic Drag Racing Team. 15.589 @ 88.64 mph
MAMN12.COM

Get all your Ford parts from Dan Newman

Green 95 4.6L Thunderbird LX
*J-Modded 00 Mustang GT Transmission and torque converter*
*Mark VIII Flexplate*
*K&N*
*Eibach Springs*
*Hayden Transmission cooler*
*3.27 Trac-loc*
*Removed air silencer*
*Swapped Climate Control and Radio Locations*
*MARCH underdrive pulleys--soon to come*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:21 AM
PostWhore

I'm no expert, but I would think there is no difference between 96-98 mustang NPI cams and the 95 NPI cams.

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

They are the same cams

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally posted by Darrin
They are the same cams

Get 98 GT head with PI cams and you'll have gains.. I have some 98 GT heads for sale if interested..

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yes, good point!
The heads are different even though the cams are the same. The newer heads and PI cams are a good match. Stick a PI intake on it while you are in there and have a ball

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Yes, good point!
The heads are different even though the cams are the same. The newer heads and PI cams are a good match. Stick a PI intake on it while you are in there and have a ball
It's alot more complicated to put a PI intake on a 94-95 than a 96-97.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
It's alot more complicated to put a PI intake on a 94-95 than a 96-97.
Yes, yes it is and the gains are even more impressive when going from that crappy aluminum intake to the PI. All the more reason to do it.
A search will yield the proper info on what all one will need to do it.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich95XR7
I'm working on a '95 intake to see exactly how much capability there actually is there through a full port throughout, and I was told that the real problem with the '95 intake is the lack of plenum volume, and I have a fix for that as well. I don't know what kind of gains there will be at all, but we'll see. If none, well then, I only have about $30 worth of aluminum invested, no big loss. I have a feeling that the runners will allow enough porting to make a difference, and get rid of that restrictive elbow, and you might actually see some HP out of that old crappy intake.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:

Yes, yes it is and the gains are even more impressive when going from that crappy aluminum intake to the PI. All the more reason to do it.
A search will yield the proper info on what all one will need to do it.
And by the time he converts to the 96+ intake, he could have bought a new engine.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:21 PM
RIP Jake

Rich95XR7; be sure and let us know how it comes out when you get that '95 manifold modded, and I have a spare to sell you if needed, cheap...I think that theres some power there, and aluminum when worked up is superior... I am kinda dabbling in modding a 5.4 intake as soon as I find one fror a reasonable price...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The main hangup is adding the plenum volume right now. I'm working on a spacer to weld in where I've cut the bottom of the intake off right now on the mill, but the metal is so thin in that area, it could pose a problem, but we're optimistic right now. I think that with the new intake elbow, bigger throttlebody, and revised intake, '95 owners could see the same gains as switching to the PI, but that's just hopeful thinking right now, we'll see. The only problem I foresee in this undertaking is the mass time involved would make it financially impossible for the average joe to do this. I'm lucky, I have access to a mill, raw aluminum, and all the tools I need.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 05:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Rich,

A few have already tried and given up. The experience of one is here.
Adding more plenum hasn't been done yet I don't think. How are you dealing with the other shortcomings like tight turns and such?
It would be good to see someone succeed with it!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 08:22 PM
RIP Jake

There are lessons to be learned from both the Cobra R intake, and the P-51, which is actually the only modular intake thats both streetable and makes significant power gains ... the Reichard is interesting , but only for a purpose built strictly race car..I'm useing a 99 5.4 liter truck intake right now(alum., NPI) which , I feel is really holding me back , but the 2001 plastic iteration didnt give me much more than antifreeze leaks, and so I switched back to the Alum. one... if and when I find another alum. 5.4 manifold,for a reasonable price I will start the cutting fitting and welding process myself.... I say go for it Rich!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I contacted RichardM before I started, and asked him about his experiences. I also talked to a few other people in the know about what I was about to do, and they verified that the major problem with the intake was the lack of plenum volume and not particularly the sharp turns. The '95 intake also has shorter runner length than the later intakes, so it should present itself better, if it can be made to flow well enough, to higher rpm ranges. Like I said, I don't know what to expect yet, and as soon as I finish it up, we'll see. I'll bolt it on, and hit the dyno, and compare them to my sheets now. Same dyno, same mods to see what the real deal is. If there's no gain, or it's worse, I'll put my factory intake back on, and drive on, but I suspect there will be some gain, simply because of the increase in runner flow, and the added plenum volume.

This is just an experiment. And like many of the other ones around here, we won't know what improvement there will be until it's done. Remember, about a year ago, everyone in the Ford world was swearing that the NPI heads were junk, and should just be tossed in favor of PI heads, everyone knew that. Now it's a different story, because someone took the time and effort to do it. The main thing is, I have more time than money, and the equipment to do this, so why not. I don't believe that anyone has tried to go to the lengths that I am, and noone might ever do it again. The sheer time that will be into this intake would make it illogical for anyone without a machineshop to even try.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 10:21 PM
RIP Jake

The fun is in the doing.... if it were easy you'd probably forget it, heck, I carved the tapers (spiling) for a sixteen foot cedar strip boat with a pocket knife, albeit a good sharp one...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in