Hmmm...Intake Mods - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Cool Hmmm...Intake Mods

So, I'm throwing a new MAF in today, figure while I'm in there I may as well put a different intake on my T'bird. I already have read enough to know not to buy the K&N kit, so I'm looking at a conical air filter by itself just attached to the MAF. My first question (don't worry, there will be more) is what do I do with the little plug sensor that goes into the side of the air box? Should I attach some hosing to the end of the MAF and cut hole big enough for that sensor?

Second, I want to eliminate the air silencer, what is the most effective way to do this? I keep reading about the 'Civic tube'. Does it have all the right openings for the lines that attach to the stock silencer. And...what exactly is the CIvic tube (I know, a tube for a Civic). Is it a stock part or an aftermarket one? Looking at pic's it looks great and I ccould probably paint it to match the metallic flake green of the rest of the car but want to make sure I get the right part.

I checked in the tech articles, but the links iunder intake kept taking me to full engine mods, which I don't want.

Thanks for helping,
Chris

Last edited by bosefius; 08-14-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I am pretty sure you are going to want to plug that little sensor into the intake tube somewhere...that is what is nice about the K&N FIPK setup, if I remember correctly, it has a provision in it already for that sensor. I've heard people say they leave them out, but I wouldn't want to do that unless it was a completely un-necessary part (I don't remember what it does)

Second, the air silencer is a round, curved thing that prevents debirs & probably water from getting up into the airbox, it also quiets the motor down a bit and it is questionable weather or not it takes away any power. I would say it takes just a little bit away (not much, if noticable) You are going to be taking out the airbox anyway, when you get that out, If I remember correctly, there are four additional bolts which hold the air silencer in. You unscrew them, and then you have to find a way to get the air silencer out from inside the car. You could take the wheel off and the splash shield & all that, this would give it plenty of room to come out. Or, you could do what I did (Might be different on a 94-95 vs a 96 like I had) and just turn the wheel out of your way on that side (turn the wheel all the way to the right) and get under the car and pull it out from under the bumper. Like I said, the under-side area of the 95 bumper may not have a big enough hole to get the silencer through, bu then again I did have to smash some of the silencer out of the way to get it out of my car. Later that afternoon I pulled the silencer out of my friend's 90 V6 bird, and those are HUGE box things....just massive. I didnt take ANY parts off to get that one out...just kind of made the bumper/splash shield meeting area give birth to it (I am surprised that the old, brittle urethane did not crack)

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 11:16 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Will3799
To switch your MAF, you need to get a chip. A good intake mod would be to get a 99+ GT intake tube, 99-2001 have a spot for the sensor included.

Will

Fear the insanely fast Thunderbird with SECRET mods!
Secret not meaning Fram filter and removed air silencer.
Yeah…definitely not

Future mods
5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 11:16 AM
6th Gear Poster

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...threadid=42292

Yeah…definitely not

Future mods
5-Speed
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 02:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The sensor is the IAT sensor (Intake Air Temp), IIRC. You could probably just put it in one of the holes where the airbox was without much of a problem, temporarily, but if I were you, I'd make a place for it just because it would bother me to have it dangling around. And the most effective way to eliminate the air silencer...is to just take it off. Not sure what you mean there.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Oh, you're thinking the violin case is the air silencer. The air silencer is inside the passenger side fender, underneath the airbox. Take off your wheel, take off the plastic inner fender cover, and you'll see a snorkel-like plastic tube. Yank it, then look at the disgusting restriction Ford chose to put on these cars. Mine was even jammed up against the sheetmetal. It's a wonder the engine got any air at all. The Civic tube replaces that plastic thing that says 4.6L OHC that runs from your TB to your MAF. Not sure on the years, but it's an aftermarket part like you'd find at Pep Boys or Autozone. I've even heard that they have em at Wal Mart. Hope that helps some.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Quote:
Gee.. I get no credit for walking him through that over IM.

http://www.mn12tbird.com/mods/gtintake/

And here's the civic tube. Depending on the MAF good luck getting it on, that's why I switched to the GT tube. http://www.mn12tbird.com/mods/cintake/

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 01:19 AM
6th Gear Poster

lol, sorry Shadow

Yeah…definitely not

Future mods
5-Speed
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Back in Black

Administrator

Not your fault. He even made me take pictures of the cut location and hole that the tube covers so he could figure out where I cut it.

Oops, yeah I did get credit.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ

Last edited by ShadowDragon; 08-24-2004 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in