Cam won't turn ????? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
Cam won't turn ?????

This evening I was putting my heads back on my car and putting everything back together...heads together, timing chains, all that good stuff. When I went to put the timing chains on, I could easily (to an extent) rotate the pass side cam to get it lined up with the crank. but I tried that with the driver side cam and it will not budge any at all. so I had to rotate the crank a bit to line it up. So anyways, I got the chains on tensioners and guides and front cover. Put the crank bolt in and tried to turn the motor over with a breaker bar. Will not budge. What do I need to do to get that cam to move??? Maybe loosen up the journal caps a bit. They are all torqued down to whatever was in the manual, i forget what it is right off the top of my head. But any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get everything together and try to start it and have a chain snap (it'd be my luck) and bend a bunch of valves. Thanks

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Still needs a clue

Did you use cam lube? Also, make sure you have the lifters, rockers etc in properly. What it could be(just a thought) Piston to Valve contact. Which would make it difficult to manually turn the engine over. If you used those solid lifters to test for PTV did you forget to put in the hydralic after? I'm just throwing out ideas.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I oiled all the journals up real well before putting everything together. Everything is in time, so there shouldn't be any piston to vavle contact. And everything is put back together right (lifters, rockers, etc)

Joe

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 11:06 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kentwood
the 4.6 is an interferance engine - it will have ptv clearance if yuo don't index the crank correctly before putting on the timing chains

There is a procedure in the ford book on what degrees the crank should be at so that all the pistons are below deck height.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I followed the manual, but the thing is, the cam wouldn't turn even with out the chain on it. When all the pistons were below the deck face too.

And whats ptv??

Joe

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 11:32 AM
PostWhore

If it wouldn't turn without the chain and no ptv (piston to valve) contact then there's too much resistance in the journals or lobes (springs). Nothing else it could be, time to triple (quadruple) check everything and find out what's providing that resistance.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ok thanks. I'm heading out now to see what I can do. First thing I'm going to do is loosen up the journal caps a bit and see what happens.

Joe

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
solid lifters?

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Still needs a clue

there are solid lifters you can buy to put in to check for PTV. You don't run them, you put them in, and turn the engine over by hand. That way if you have PTV you can fix it before you bust off a valve head.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 01:43 PM
4th Gear Poster

You didnt by chance buy these heads somewhere? I have read that some folks have had to get the cam bores align honed do to the bores being machined to small. Just a thought.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 05:17 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kentwood
Is it all stock valve train? i.e. lifters/cams/ etc.?

Are they used heads?

They could be warped - you would have to get them bore hones like big scott had to do on his heads.

Try removing all the lifters - remove the caps - reinstall just the caps and torque them properly

Then see if you can spin the cam - if not the caps are out of whack and need to be honed.

EDIT: Off the engine
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Yes everything is stock in the valves, springs, etc. I just got them back from getting ported Friday afternoon and they had taken the caps off and just sent them back with me in a box. I went ahead and left the pressure off of the driver side caps and then it turned. Tightened it down to about 60 in lbs and manual calls for 70-106. It wouldn't even turn then. So I swapped the caps from side to side (dr to pass) and torqued them down to spec and they turn wonderfully. Turned the motor over about 20 billion times by hand to ensure there is no piston to vavle contact and was happy so I continued to reassemble the engine. Hopefully it's able to turn over on it's own power by tomorrow night, and if I have a chip I can do a little driving to work in the new heads

Joe

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 AM
4th Gear Poster

Good Deal!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in