4.6L won't start - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

4.6L won't start

My friend has a '96 T-Bird. I went to his house the other day to fix his computer, and he said his car wouldn't start at all. I'm not very good with the 4.6s, so I'm gonna need some help with this one.

He drove the car to work on Thursday, and had no problems. He backed the car into his garage, and the car was fine when he shut it off. He said when he went out Friday morning to start it, all it would do was crank. I checked the inertia switch, and when I pressed it in, it shut the fuel pump off like it's supposed to. I pulled the button back up and the fuel pump kicked back on (you can hear it hum when you turn the key). That didn't work, so just for kicks, I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and reconnected it (because I don't know anything about these cars and I thought it was worth a shot...lol), which didn't work either. I let it crank for a few seconds, and then I depressed the Schraeder valve and fuel came out, but not really a spray. It was more like it barely made it out of the top of it. I'm not sure what it could be, but I thought I'd ask you guys for help. I was thinking either the fuel pump was working but really weak, the fuel filter is possibly clogged, or the tank has a bunch of crap in it. His fuel guage doesn't work, but he said he put gas in it a couple days before that and he's pretty sure he filled it up. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Quote from 93sleeper: "Slow down, you guys are talking too fast. I'm trying to eat a taco!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Still needs a clue

did you press the valve when the key was in the on position(so that the line was pressurized)? Naturally, change the fuel filter if it hasn't been changed. A plugged fuel filter is supposedly the #1 cause of a dead pump. Thats all I can offer for help at this moment.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 03:31 AM
PostWhore

yep, sounds like the same problem i had. I would have to leave the key on the on position in the winter for almost a minute for the car would finally start, or where it built enough pressure to start. Turns out the fuel pump was bleeding off the pressure. Sounds like he needs a new fuel pump. Temporary solution, leave key on the on position for bout 30-45 secs until the fuel pump builds enough pressure. Remember when its warm, u dont have to really do this, it takes less fuel to fire a warm engine than a cold engine, hope this helps.

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks guys. I'll give that idea a shot and see if that works for a temporary fix and let you know. Maybe he'll sell me the car since the pump's out. LOL

Rick

Quote from 93sleeper: "Slow down, you guys are talking too fast. I'm trying to eat a taco!"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Still needs a clue

and cheap!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Unfortunately, that idea didn't work. He priced a fuel pump at around $75 from AutoZone. I'll be talking to a friend of mine that can replace the fuel pump for him.

Rick

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 07:07 PM
PostWhore

sounds like hte fuel pump is already dead.

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I would use a used fuel pump before I would use an autozone fuel pump.
Alan
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 11:30 PM
3rd Gear Poster

LOL. Fuel pumps don't stay on when you turn the key on, they stay on long enough to build pressure and kick off like within 2 seconds. it is possible that he has a bad ground to his ECU (computer). Check the fuses under the hood and make sure they are all in good contact and closed circut. I had a fuel pump go out on a Ford EFI system before and it would start but not run long. Try using Ether (spelling) starting spray by opening the TB and spray some in the intake then let the TB close and try starting. If it sputters then you have a fuel delivery problem.

Meow~
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 12:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The Crank position sensor may also be to blame, it's not an expensive part but it's a real PITA to replace.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I told him I'd see if anyone had one on here that they were selling, but he said he wanted to buy one from AutoZone. It's his car, so I'll let him do what he wants with it. I already told him to spray some starting fluid into the intake to see if it would run. He's gonna let me know if that works or not.

If he were to run codes, would it tell him if the CPS was bad? I was going to ask about the CPS earlier, but I lost internet connection for a bit, so I decided to watch a movie instead. LOL

Thanks again for all the help, guys.

Rick

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
I had a similar problem and I wiggled the connection at the CPS and it fired right up. Give that a try.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Again, since I know nothing about the 4.6s, I'm gonna have to ask. Where is that connection at? Thanks.

Rick

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally posted by corder13
Again, since I know nothing about the 4.6s, I'm gonna have to ask. Where is that connection at? Thanks.

Rick
It is just below the belt tensioner pulley arm. It inserts into the front cover to the left of the crankshaft pulley facing the engine from the front. It has wiring going to it from the passenger side front of the engine. If you reach down you can feel (and see) the connection. Just wiggle it to be sure it is seated properly and then see if it will fire up. If this description doesn't help, I will send a pic.

In this pic, the CPS connection is right below the arm for the belt tensioner.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in