engine/exhaust/computer stuff - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to sonofpern Send a message via Yahoo to sonofpern
engine/exhaust/computer stuff

I have a 94 4.6L V8 and when I started it the other day, i had a big whited cluod coming out of the tail pipes and the engine firing was erratic to say the least, causing major vibration. My first instinct was oil leak, but the engine, the vibration...yeah.
to get down to it, the shop said first it was #6 and #7 fuel injector valves were malfunctiong, but they tested them, and theyre fine, so they said it was the computer, and a replacement fixed it and now they have to burn the fuel out of the exhaust system by running it for a few minuets at a time till it stops smoking.
So, Id like to know if this is plausible considering there was an identicle type engine swap out. From what I know about Personal Computers, new hardware, even if its identicle, can cause problems, but the engine has 50Kmi. Could this affect the computer? What else could have caused it so I can keep my eyes open in the future? And, i dont have a qoute for cost yet, so if anyone has a ballpark for parts and labor, Id be ever greatful. Thanks to anyone for help.

94 4.6L V8 green/tan stock rebuilt
"Remember, a thunderbird, unlike a pheonix, will not magically come back to life after bursting into flames"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 08:41 PM
4th Gear Poster

I had the same problem on my 94 t-bird. I had a 4.6 too. Rough, erratic idle, white smoke pouring out the tail pipes. I thought at first that it was a stuck injector. It was able to limp home. Turned out it was a computer failure. Total cost including computer and labor was around 275-300 dollars. That was about 4 years ago. I never heard about having to run out the old fuel, but I didn't ask, so I don't know about that. I was just happy to get it back. As for what caused it, I don't have a clue. I was told that it was unusual for a t-bird(ford) computer to fail, that it was more common on other brand cars. Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 10:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Actually no.

The 94-95 cars and even some 96-97 cars have problems with the 4.6 computer hanging open injectors and malfunctioning.

A used computer is 40 bucks at a junkyard, and they take 20 minutes to install.

I would have hated to pay that 300 dollar bill

As for the first guy, grab a noid light and see if the injectors are hung open.

If they are then replace the engine computer, the injectors are probably fine.

JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 10:25 PM
4th Gear Poster

Justin, well, actually, yes. I bought a new computer and had it installed as I had to have a car for work and didn't have the time to fix my car. Our first opinion was the same, stuck open injectors. Ended up being the computer. So I paid for the diagnostics, a new computer & install. He had his diagnosed-it wasn't an injector problem. Also noticed he had it done at a shop, he didn't do it himself. And what I was told was that it is unusual for the computer to fail. Not talking about hanging up. Never has happened to me on either of my birds: 94 or 97, and between the two, I have put over 200,000 miles on the 94 and 105,000 miles on the 97. I have never had an injector problem.

sonofpern-you asked a question, and as I perceive it, you appear to need a mechanic. If so, as I said, it cost me around 275.00-300. That included diagnostics, new computer, and install time. I felt it was fair. Still do. My time is worth about $100.00 an hour to me, so by the time I do all the troubleshooting, running for parts at junkyards, and install time, it was well worth it. That, and I admit, I'm not a know it all mechanic, even though I have four years of formal training, as some on this board appear to think they are. If you are able to do it and have the time, by all means, buy a used computer and install it yourself. I hope this helps.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 10:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
right thats what i said. The computer hangs open the injectors. The injectors themselves aren't faulty its the computer telling them to do the wrong thing.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:30 AM
4th Gear Poster

I gotcha!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to sonofpern Send a message via Yahoo to sonofpern
thanks both, ive already put too much into this car for a new alt.er and a mess of other little things just to fulfill my mechanics american dream, but same as most, i dont have any of the three t's of carworks (time, training, or tools) so if it is only 300, its well worth it since that pales in comparison to other necessary fixes. i will continue to pump more money than its worth into it since it is my first car, regardless of the fact that im the fourth owner, and its on its second block, no matter, i love that demon leprachaun!

ahh, but one day i would just love to run a pair of strait pipes and get rid of the Y pipe, or X pipe, or whatever they call that stupid cat config, its all about true dual!
and high intake, and supercharger, but id be happy with just the true dual, maybe a 2.5" or even a 3" if my SC dream comes true

anyhoo, thanks again

94 4.6L V8 green/tan stock rebuilt
"Remember, a thunderbird, unlike a pheonix, will not magically come back to life after bursting into flames"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 04:14 PM
4th Gear Poster

Good luck, man! You have the right attitude. Life is short, enjoy it. I'm on my umpteenth car. But my third t-bird. I have had an 88 turbo coupe, a 94 v-8 and a 97lx v-8. I drive the 97 daily. I almost fifty years old myself, but I do understand the love affair with the car. Been there, still doing it. Later dude!

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in