PI Engine Swap Tech Article? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

PI Engine Swap Tech Article?

Has anyone written a Tech Article for doing a PI Engine Swap? I have seen a couple "Vague" ones, but was hoping to find a more in depth article... Or if anyone in SoCal has done one, and wouldn't mind helping for a weekend????

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself".
John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 10:34 AM
PostWhore

Garage
The PI Head Swap article is probably your best bet. Covers a lot of the other stuff you will need to buy besides your PI engine. Much more needed to do a 95.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 10:53 AM
Boom.

Tim and I loosely started one focused on the Explorer engine into '94-95 cars, but it hasn't been completed. If you need specific information, you can feel free to PM me, TimB, Cam94, or Aaron K. I speak for all of us when I say we're always willing to help someone doing an engine swap!

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for the help guys, I will need it. My motor should be arriving today, but I plan on rebuilding before I put it in, so it may be a month or so before I am ready to install. Palmguy, I will definately be bothering you on a daily basis!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself".
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 02:54 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Unless someone has found a way to adapt the cruise control from a 94-95, you will lose that with the swap. I was going to attempt to swap it with a 96 unit but have not done it - requires some rewiring.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:22 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

My 94-95 cruise control works just fine on my PI motor. Just cut the little red tip off the cable and you are good to go

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy
Thanks for the help guys, I will need it. My motor should be arriving today, but I plan on rebuilding before I put it in, so it may be a month or so before I am ready to install. Palmguy, I will definately be bothering you on a daily basis!
Ya need any help wrenching on it and I'll try to give you a hand. Though the gate guards might look at me funny if I roll up with a Navy Sticker on my windshield and then ask for a visitors pass.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:11 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
Quote:
Originally posted by timb
My 94-95 cruise control works just fine on my PI motor. Just cut the little red tip off the cable and you are good to go
Same here, although not PI motor but 96/7 upper (same thing)

Joe

BTW I am working on an article for a PI intake swap to a 94/5, a lot of that is what you will need I am assuming

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoLXBird

Ya need any help wrenching on it and I'll try to give you a hand. Though the gate guards might look at me funny if I roll up with a Navy Sticker on my windshield and then ask for a visitors pass.
Lol SD, I am sure you will be fine. The MP's see alot stranger things come through that gate... I have never swapped a motor before so this should be an interesting adventure. I figured, Hell, I rebuild jet engines for a living, how hard could this be? That being said, if you would lend a hand SD, it would be greatly appreciated. I will be ready with cold ones in the fridge.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by timb
After eight years of owning the car, I have yet to actually USE the Cruise Control. I am thinking it won't be a problem if I lose it, but it would be good to keep it working in case I ever need it.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by whitecoug

Same here, although not PI motor but 96/7 upper (same thing)

Joe

BTW I am working on an article for a PI intake swap to a 94/5, a lot of that is what you will need I am assuming
Awesome Joe!, Will you be posting it in the tech articles section or on a private webspace? Let me know when its done!!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
Quote:

Lol SD, I am sure you will be fine. The MP's see alot stranger things come through that gate... I have never swapped a motor before so this should be an interesting adventure. I figured, Hell, I rebuild jet engines for a living, how hard could this be? That being said, if you would lend a hand SD, it would be greatly appreciated. I will be ready with cold ones in the fridge.

Just lemme know and I'll bring my toolbox.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 07:04 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
Quote:

Awesome Joe!, Will you be posting it in the tech articles section or on a private webspace? Let me know when its done!!
I'll post it up here somewhere. It should been done soon, hopefully. It has been started.

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in