Engine sounds like a diesel! :-O - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Unhappy Engine sounds like a diesel! :-O

My 94' 4.6 tbird makes an intermittant sound that I can't figure out. I thought it was lifters, but oil presure is fine and it's not low on oil. I can't understand what it would be because some days it will not ever show up but some days it's so loud, and it sounds just like a diesel engine running. it just makes more of a clank sound than a ticking noise. I was listening to it the other day and it went away while i was under the hood but it still sounds like it's there, just really quiet. To me it sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine, and It sounds like it's more towards the front driver's side. Every time I take it to my mechanic, it won't make the noise. I'm getting frustrated. Any info would be great. I wish I could put a quality sound clip on here but i have nothing to record with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

get a mechanic's stethoscope. I bet it's the injectors clicking though.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:20 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...=diagnose+idle

Sound anything like that? I don't have a definate answer for you, but I can assume to run some seafoam, and possibly AutoRx through it. You can eliminate some carbon buildup from the possibilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

yeah, it sounds somewhat similar to what you've got going on there in the audio clip. hard to hear but it's just like... it sounds to me like a diesel engine without the really low growl. i don't know how else to explain it. how much do injectors cost, and would i have to replace them all? i'm still a newbie when it comes to cars but I'm learning fast. It did sorta sound like it was coming from the injector in the front there. The thing that baffles me is the fact that it's off and on. I can't figure out what causes it or what makes it stop, either. sometimes it's quieter, sometimes it's really loud... but i never see a performance drop or anything really. very confusing and frustrating.

The more i listen to that clip the more it sounds like what i've got going on. I can't be sure though cuz of the wind and stuff... hard to hear.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:40 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
I'll try and record a new idle soon. Maybe inside a garage will help
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Since you say front of engine...a bad crank damper can make a knocking sound. I've seen this happen on a few cars, that or timing chains. My car was making a clattering when the oil pressure got low (sludged engine when I bought it), upon removal...one of the chain guides was missing its little nylon cover.

Seriously though, the best way to check this out is with an automotive stethoscope. It's really handy diagnosing some of the noises that cars will make at our shop. Let us know what you find out for future reference!
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Insert Title Here

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenBird
get a mechanic's stethoscope. I bet it's the injectors clicking though.
I've got an old child hood toy that when you spin it around in the air it whistles, works for me!

1994 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe - 3.8L V6 - 15.125 @ 90.76

”Sticks impress high-school kids, autos win races” – Unknown
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Since you say front of engine...a bad crank damper can make a knocking sound. I've seen this happen on a few cars, that or timing chains. My car was making a clattering when the oil pressure got low (sludged engine when I bought it), upon removal...one of the chain guides was missing its little nylon cover.
how hard are either of those things to check/fix? keep in mind i'm a quick learning rookie. LOL

Something new. Today when I started the car up to leave work, it was idling wierd. It would go up to like 1500 rpm and then act like it was going to stall, and go down to 500 rpm then it'd revv up to 1500 and then die again. it did this over and over and over and it sounded like a belt was squealing too. It didn't stop until i started driving. when i got home and put it in park it wasn't there. Any ideas? maybe they're related?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Insert Title Here

Same as mine, vacum leak.

Look down every damned line for a hole, use a little toy to hear the lines (stielscope I think, I just use a little hand whistler thingy). Same for the belt squeaking problem, I almost bought a new belt until I figured out it was a pulley.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Something new. When I'm driving down the highway with the heater/defroster/blower on, every 5-6 seconds the car hesitates in a way that it feels like power kinda dies for a second and then kicks back in. If I shut the heater off, it runs fine. I noticed this when I had the cruise control on. The rpms don't really change, and the gauges all stay the same. My guess is a Vaccum leak? Any ideas?

Also, RyanG... Would you happen to have new soundclips yet?

And nobody replied to my question as to the difficulty of fixing a crank damper or the timing chain.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Today I was listening for that ticking again, under the hood. I can hear the injectors ticking but it's not that loud. When the car makes the noise i'm complaining about, it's really really loud. could it still be injectors? if it is, would that be fixed by installing a new fuel injector?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to jpilone
here's a stupid question.. does it make the sound when the a/c is turned off?

when a/c compressors are going bad, they sound like that. and your intermittent comment leads me to beleive that's the compressor turning on and off...

Jarrod Pilone
[email protected]
Motorsports Photographer
http://www.jpsportspics.com

This is the space where I used to list the ownership of my 'bird, but I traded it in, it was time to upgrade. But I miss it dearly.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

i never even use the A/C cuz it doesn't blow cold, so no. Thanks for the input though. I'm not getting much help on this. I might just have to take it to the mechanic and let him drive it around forever until it makes the noise.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Insert Title Here

Get a directional sound hearer, or even a cardboard tube should work (such as a papertowl roll) that way it blocks out every other sound, be careful of that fan belt.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Still needs a clue

Fan belt? Electics fans don't have belts...(mine doesn't anyways).
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

today i listened to the sound again. I'm sure it's not injectors because it's coming from the front of the engine. It sounds like it's coming from one of the two middle pulleys, and the repair manual i have says they're the Crankshaft and the Water Pump. Would the water pump make wierd noises like this? it sounds like something metal hitting metal. It also says if the bearing in the Water pump goes bad it makes a squealing sound. I hear a slight squealing sound alot, and my mechanic said it was probably a bearing in my alternator going out. Any thoughts, anyone? Maybe it's the crank damper, like someone said before?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
take the belt off and spin the water pump by hand after what you said with the pulleys makine squeeling it could be a water pump going bad, it could also be a bearing in the alternator like your mechanic said, when my buddies birds alternator was going sounded like he had an s/c under load, it was cool, but he fixed it, and now its better its fixed

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I took the serpentine belt off and it still made the noise. The pulley on the crankshaft isn't loose and it doesn't wobble either.

Last edited by renegade_00; 09-30-2004 at 06:07 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Today when I was parking i turned the wheel and the oil pressure dropped and the check gauges light came on. I'd turn it the other way and it did the same. Then it went away. I'm so confused on what is going on! the other thing is that I changed the oil on sunday, and now it's smoking out the exhaust if i sit and idle. I put in 5 quarts of Valvoline Max Life and then I put in some ProLong. I hope that it's just got too much oil in it and that's why it's burning? I've checked the oil and it just says it's full. The damn dipsticks are hard to read as it is.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 08:11 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Runner383 Send a message via MSN to Runner383 Send a message via Yahoo to Runner383
To locate that noise, take a good look at your belt tensioner. watch the pulley and see if it moves back and forth hitting the timing chain cover. I had that exact same problem before and it ended up being the tensioner. As for the oil smoking? Thats possibly the pro long. I dont know alot about oil additives, but I am 100% against them, from everything that I have heard, (MY OWN OPINION) they are garbage. If someone else knows different please help me out here.

-BEEP! BEEP!

"Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

well like I said above, when I took the serpentine belt off it still made the noise. Wouldn't I be able to expect that it would not be the tensioner at that point?
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
That's definitely not the tensioner. If the rubber on the crank damper was pushed out it could make knocking sound like crazy though!
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

do you think it could be an intermittent sound though? Here's the thing. it only does it once in awhile. I haven't found anything that makes it happen, or makes it go away. when i come to a stop light, if it's making the sound my battery gauge is slighly lower than normal and when it stops clacking the battery gauge goes back to normal.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Okay, thanks for the help guys. Don't need to worry about it anymore. I hit a deer this weekend and the airbags deployed. from what i hear it's going to cost more to have those fixed than the car is worth so i guess i'm just out 4000 bucks. what a bum deal.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Still needs a clue

crappy deal man... but I think I finally figured out what makes that horrid squealing noise on cold days at start up.... blasted water pump!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
if the bags went the damage is proabbly in exsess of 2500 dollars, witch to most birds itself would total it

they might give you 3k for your car depending on miledge tho, id check the for sale forum, theres a few 96 & 97 V8s for sale

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in