95 XR-7 TransPak - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to BlackCat666
95 XR-7 TransPak

Hey guys....
I recently bought a 1995 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with the 4.6L engine.... my plans for it are.... Dynomax Dual Exhaust system, K&N Cold Air Intake, JPA Headers, B&M Transpak, Jet Computer Chip, Steeda Underdrive pulleys, Performance cam and whatever else I can manage.... I was just wondering, if anyone knew what transmission is on the 95 XR-7's... I need to know this for the trans pak I wanna put in the car, help would be much appreciated. Also, I heard almost anything that fits the 4.6L mustangs will fit the cougars/thunderbirds, is this correct?

Thanks,
Tom

My lugnuts require more torque than your Honda makes....

Cardomain Sight.... http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackcat666
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Jedi Master

the trans pak will work but If I were you I'd return it before I open it and invest in the J-mod instead.

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Cougar Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCat666
B&M Transpak, Jet Computer Chip
No! No! No! The B&M is no good for your 4R70W transmission. The Jet chip is rather a waste of money, you can get a real chip if you're serious about modding your car.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich95XR7
The only thing in your list that would ever go on my car is the exhaust and cams.

1. Look in the technical articles for the instructions on the J-Mod. It's cheaper and better than the B&M. Also put in a 97 TBird tranny pan and filter, drain the converter, and refill with Mercon V. I know it's expensive, but your tranny will thank you.

2. Don't waste your money on the K&N filtercharger for the Cougar. It's just a cheap conical filter and a couple brackets. It puts your filter directly in the hot engine air, and probably hurts performance more than it helps. Yank the air silencer out, get a good panel filter, and call it a day. While your at it, get rid of the stock "violin" case, that thing is extremely restictive. Look in the For Sale forums, and get a RichardM tube while he's making them. He only makes them every once and a while, so get one while you can.

3. Don't waste your money on a JET chip, it's worthless junk. PM Lonnie, the EEC moderator, who runs blue oval chips, and get a real SCT tune, not some off the shelf junk. You'll be a lot happier, and it's not much more. Get a '02 Mustang GT Mass Air Flow sensor at the same time, since the chip has to be programmed for the MAF.

4. Performance cams require a bit of work in the '95 heads. Get you some '96 and up heads for really cheap, put in the Mustang PI cams, that you can get for under $100, bolt them on and you'll be happy.

5. The intake on the '95's is the real problem for serious performance, but it can be made better a bit. Check out getting an unrestricted throttle body neck from someone like Thomas, he does good work, and a truck throttle body. Both are good improvements. Anything after that, gets real expensive, and isn't worth the money to spend on the '95 intake.

6. I would add at least a Marauder torque converter and at least 3.73 gears if you want to get that 4,000lb beast moving. IMHO, gears and chip would be the first 2 things I would do.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Ill check some of that stuff out... although, my friends brother has a '00 Z28.... he put the B&M Transpak in that thing... the shifts are so hard and smooth, he scratches 2nd, I know it wont be nearly as powerful in the cougar because it aint no LS1 I totally agree with the 3:73, he put that and a predator power chip in the camaro and the launch on that thing is absolutely insane... Im goin for just overall speed and somewhat explosiveness off the line.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, with my stock engine with pulleys, a little intake work, no cams and no power adder, with the stock 3.08 gears, the JMod and chip, my car will kick the rear end out on the 1-2 shift. I'm going to be running a little more gear than 3.73's, so we'll see what happens after the 3200 converter and 4.30's go in next month, along with a new chip to correct the shift points and converter lockup schedule for the new gears and converter. If you buy a SCT chip, reburns for stuff like that are cheap, but my chip was before SCT came out, so I want to upgrade that anyways.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Oh and another thing that was mentioned... what is the "violin" case, AND i've heard all this talk about an air silencer, what is that too, where is it.... My friend, his brother and his dad and I cant figure out what it is....

Thanks

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The violin case is the air intake tube that sits on the top of your engine that says 4.6 on it. For the air silencer, take your air filter out, and look down in the hole at the bottom, that's the air silencer. You can take the fender liner loose, take the airbox out, and pull it out through the fender. There's instructions all over the place on how to do it, and remember, the SEARCH button is your friend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in