air silencer removal - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to TrevorSmith
air silencer removal

i was wondering if there was an easier way to yank the air silencer than this http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12h...box/airbox.htm because i would love to do it but i really dont want to have to take off the fender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Drag racing with Jesus

Quote:
Originally posted by TrevorSmith
i was wondering if there was an easier way to yank the air silencer than this because i would love to do it but i really dont want to have to take off the fender
The fender is not removed ONLY the Inner Plastic Fender Shield Just make sure
your car is secured wth jack stands

Enjoy your new free power

Curtis Carter - July 14, 1954 to June 4, 2006 -- RIP Brother, you will be missed

MODS=SCT tuned/J-Mod/Trans Cooler/Dyno max Cat-Back/NgkPlugs/Mac cold air/March UD's/FRPP aluminumcarrier3.73's "SOLD CAR"
PI cams + PI intake manifold w/adapter plate
Mark VIII Convertor/80mm L-Maf/70mm TB
Mark VIII 1 piece shaft/Cobra R' wheels/
Kumhos 235/60/16 - White leather w/ blue
cloth seats - white face gauges in 95 cluster
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dstock22
I didnt even remove my fender wall, I just got underneat my car and jimmy'd it out.

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
=Got Boost?=

-Deceased 1994 Thunderbird LX-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

is the difference noticable enough to go to the bother or removing the fender and all that stuff, or should i just leave it?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
All it does is remove the noise it makes without it. So what. No hp gain.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to texastbird
is that the noise that i hear that reminds me of a damn sedans engine?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
i was wondering if there was an easier way to yank the air silencer than this http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12h...box/airbox.htm because i would love to do it but i really dont want to have to take off the fender
Just reach up underneath there, grab it, and yank it out. It's a little effort to get out of there but it comes out.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
Yep that's the noise. Chunk the darn thing and let it go. Are you gonna keep the filter box?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok, sounds easy enough does anyone have a picture of the airsilencer still in the car so i know what i am "yanking" out
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:11 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 1997T-Bird Send a message via Yahoo to 1997T-Bird
Quote:
ok, sounds easy enough does anyone have a picture of the airsilencer still in the car so i know what i am "yanking" out
Hey buddy, don't try to make this harder than it is. Okay what you need to do is open the box where your air filter is and look IN THE HOLE.

Is there a black spot and you can't see down it? That means your air silencer is still there there is THREE bolts holding it to the airbox. It is a little tight and BE CAREFUL, do not get pissed, because METAL BITES HARD.

Just get a really small wrench and try to jiggle each of the nuts out. It takes about 30 mins tops. I never removed anything (tire, sheilds, nothing).

Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask,

John

Currently: 2004 Honda Civic Ex 5 Speed
17X7 BSA Wheels - 215/45/17 Falkens; Complete JL System; Magnaflow Catback; Lowered 1.4"

Last Car:
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust; 2003 Cobra Rims with Kelley 255/45/17s;Steeda U/Ds; B&M Transmissoin Cooler; Dirtyd0g's custom 2800 Stall Torque Converter; J-Mod Kit installed by Dirtyd0g; SCT Tuned by Darrin; Lowered with Spring Tech Springs

Want great work done on your tranny? Have dirtyd0g do it! He made a believer out of me!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Veteran Poster

ROFLMAO Gotta admire you Hardin County boys! Right to the point, no holds barred! Keep up the great posts!

Sideoiler
Quote:
Originally posted by Metalbassist03

Hey buddy, don't try to make this harder than it is. Okay what you need to do is open the box where your air filter is and look IN THE HOLE.

Is there a black spot and you can't see down it? That means your air silencer is still there there is THREE bolts holding it to the airbox. It is a little tight and BE CAREFUL, do not get pissed, because METAL BITES HARD.

Just get a really small wrench and try to jiggle each of the nuts out. It takes about 30 mins tops. I never removed anything (tire, sheilds, nothing).

Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask,

John

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 08:08 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Sideoiler
ROFLMAO Gotta admire you Hardin County boys! Right to the point, no holds barred! Keep up the great posts!

Sideoiler
I try (Did you used to live in Hardin Co. ? )

Just wanted to give him a clear cut answer

Get it out yet?

17X7 BSA Wheels - 215/45/17 Falkens; Complete JL System; Magnaflow Catback; Lowered 1.4"

Last Car:
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust; 2003 Cobra Rims with Kelley 255/45/17s;Steeda U/Ds; B&M Transmissoin Cooler; Dirtyd0g's custom 2800 Stall Torque Converter; J-Mod Kit installed by Dirtyd0g; SCT Tuned by Darrin; Lowered with Spring Tech Springs

Want great work done on your tranny? Have dirtyd0g do it! He made a believer out of me!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Metalbassist03

I try (Did you used to live in Hardin Co. ? )

Just wanted to give him a clear cut answer

Get it out yet?
I was raised in Evansville, Ind., and spent my summers on my uncle's tobacco farm in Hopkinsville. Funny I never made it to Harlin County untill years later when my old car club in Ma. (Wheels of Time) made a trip down to Louisville and somebody in the club knew about a place in Elizabethtown that had some old cars they showed to the public. I can't remember the name of the place but "Swopes" or something like that comes to mind. I had to act as an interpreter for the New England boys cause they couldn't understand much of what the folks there were saying. Of course I could easily understand the words, "Godda**ed loud mouthed Yankees", they were saying. But, I kept it to myself, not wanting to see multiple bruises on my friend's heads and bodies.

We're thinking about leaving the state because of Ivan and I just told my wife I think we're going to visit family in Hopkinsville and I'll make a run with the wife over to Elizabethtown to show her the town. My club spent a couple of days there and I sure liked the people. Guess you can transplant a rebel like me, but you can't make me grow Yankee limbs.
Sideoiler

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok, after about 45 minutes of struggling i finally managed to pull out a piece that i think is the air silencer. please tell me that this is what i wanted to pull out
i am also going to go and get a K&N air filter and it should be as good as a cold air intake, right?

thanks for everyones help

----TrevoR
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:48 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dstock22
OMG, I can't beleive you mistoke the air silencer for that. I sure hope you didn't drive your car without that thing. You better go outside right now and put that back in before you really mess up your car.

Naw I'm just kidding, thats it.

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
=Got Boost?=

-Deceased 1994 Thunderbird LX-
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Poster

TrevorSmith,
DON'T WASTE your money on a k&n filter. It will just oil down your Mass Air Sensor. I ran my car with and without the stock air filter and saw NO difference in 1/4 mile times. If you make serious horsepower (over 500) you may gain a few more but for a stock engine, your money is better spent elsewhere, like on the exhaust or differential.
IMHO.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 07:25 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

In my experience, and opinion, the only way to get oil on your MAF sensor is to apply too much oil to your filter. I have used a K&N filter for the past year and never had problems with oil fouling.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
They get dirty no matter what.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 06:47 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by dstock22
OMG, I can't beleive you mistoke the air silencer for that. I sure hope you didn't drive your car without that thing. You better go outside right now and put that back in before you really mess up your car.

Naw I'm just kidding, thats it.

Thanks man, I needed that.

Last Car:

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear Poster

On the air silencer I just turn it and it came off. Does the other part that is bolted on make a differnt with it ?
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 06:44 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to thunder04
I never even knew there was a guide on removing it! Not that I needed it. It was a bit difficult to remove. At one point I was tempted to bolt it back on lol. I got it, though!

And as for K&N air filters...why bother with an air filter at all? Here's what you can do for free: Remove the airbox and hose, but cut a section off the hose just long enough so you can mount the mass air-flow sensor to the throttle body back to back. You may be able to use one of the rubber seals instead. You'll also need to re-route the mass air-flow sensor wiring. No intake restrictions other than the mass air-flow sensor and throttle body, and it didn't cost you a dime!

Ha..I'm just kidding!!! If you want to severely shorten the life of your engine, though...you may do the procedure above.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstock22
I didnt even remove my fender wall, I just got underneat my car and jimmy'd it out.
Thats the same thing I did
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997T-Bird
Thanks man, I needed that.
I thought you were getting rid of your bird.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Lithsanatrex
because im really bad about bringing back dead threads.....
i yanked mine out a few weeks ago, and my god that was a hoorible 2 hours. i had tried to yank it off when i first got the car, but it wouldnt go anywhere so i gave up and b0lted it bak on. but i got tired of it... so i jacked up the car and went to work. 2 hours of hard pushing and straining later it cam out. that has to be about waht giving birth would be like, only for a car...... well anyway, im loving the whistle/whine i get from it, and it sounds more beastly in neutral if ya give ti a little. hahah well back to work i go

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in