torque converters - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to texastbird
torque converters

hey guys, i recently purchased a 1995 thunderbird with a 4.6 liter v8 engine, and earlier today i got the notice that my torque converter is gone to hell on this car. my question is what kind of converter should i get? my refferals range from $850.00 to $1500.00, so my thinking is that i should just ante up and get a street racing torque converter since im already in nearly a grande. but once agian im not sure what kind to get, can anyone please help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Based solely on what I have learned in here, I'd go with the Maurader, or Mach I torque converter. But I am sure there are more learned people here on the site. I am hoping so because I may be getting one soon!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

If you are looking for a cheap stock replacement, then grab a marauder converter with a new flexplate and be done with it.

If you are doing anything serious then you would consider a brand name converter with a jerry transmission.

But just for daily service stick with a stock marauder converter. They are like 200 bucks with a core and you can send your tbird core back.

Also the 95 trans is basically a boat anchor, and for what late model transmissions cost, you could save money getting it all done at once if you are paying someone to do the work.

JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

heres what the mechanic told me, he said that theyre could be structual damage to the transmission, there for he might have to put a new one in........ i have read up on the torque converters tonight and dont possible see how it could ruin a transmission.... could it? i really dont know much atll about cars so i would love some input on if you think this guys just trying to stick a big bill in my hand or what, plus im not happy with the acceleration my car gives me right now, say i did go with a more expensive converter, does that mean i have to get a new tranny to?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
There are several critical updates that need to be performed on that transmission before considering another converter.
The converter didn't go bad on it's own the transmission told it to.
If a lockup converter does not recieve good signals it will not give good results.
I build these converters and I will not warranty one unless updates have been performed to the transmission or a later model transmission has been installed.

Alan
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

when i call the guy in the morning, what should i do? should i say lets just try the car out with a new torque converter to see if it fixes my problem, or should i say have fun putting a new transmission togother, and oh btw heres 1500.00 dollars of my hard earned cash, where as the torque converter installastion and purchase coulndt exceed more than 500.00 dollars.... what should i do?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by texastbird
heres what the mechanic told me, he said that theyre could be structual damage to the transmission, there for he might have to put a new one in........ i have read up on the torque converters tonight and dont possible see how it could ruin a transmission.... could it? i really dont know much atll about cars so i would love some input on if you think this guys just trying to stick a big bill in my hand or what, plus im not happy with the acceleration my car gives me right now, say i did go with a more expensive converter, does that mean i have to get a new tranny to?
I see no reason to put a new converter on a 94-95 transmission. I also see no reason to do anything to a 94-95 transmission except change the fluid and drive it until is stops.

If there is something wrong with the transmission do not let them rebuild that boat anchor 94-95 trans. Pick up a late model unit with converter (99+) from a salvage yard and have them install that.

It will cost you half the amount of what a rebuild costs and you get a late model trans with low mileage, and in many cases, a six month warranty.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:02 PM

btw- blast from the past, you have Jason Skwarek's user name lol.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

well it needs a new converter, i know that cuz the dude who had the car b4 me "hot rodded" it, sorry sob, and it studders horribley at about 40 mph and again from then on up when it switches gears, as well as when you brake the car to
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
say i did go with a more expensive converter, does that mean i have to get a new tranny to?
You don't have to get a new trans when you do the change but remember the higher the stall of the converter the more strain it will put on the transmission.
Plus a high stall converter generates more heat than a low stall unit does. That with the fact that these transmissions were seriously undercooled anyway.Bigger cooler lines and a good cooler seriously adds to the life of the transmission. Did anyone mention that the 94-95 transmissions were very weak anyway?
Justin H. said
Also the 95 trans is basically a boat anchor, and for what late model transmissions cost, you could save money getting it all done at once if you are paying someone to do the work

I agree with that and most of the guys who have dealt with them will agree.
What the mechanic is telling you is that the converter clutch in the converter is smoked. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other problems as well. Mine was chock full of problems at 75k when I replaced it.
If you put a performance converter in and your transmission craps out on you it's going to dump that material into the converter. Then you will have to pull the trans out to fix it and have that new converter redone..At your expense. A converter builder will likely notice if your transmission crapped out.... I would. The worst could happen is that you overheat it so bad that the converter melts inside. Then you have a converter builder looking at you like you killed it. Because your transmission did.

As for pricing on the torque converters if anyone charges you more than $300 for a 12 inch replacement it better have every upgrade available done to it. Brazed fins,roller construction,Large clutch,Upgraded friction lining.
The market value for a quality rebuilt 12inch 4r70w converter is only $231

Alan
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:30 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Warlockguitarman Send a message via Yahoo to Warlockguitarman
take a look at greenleafauto.com you could get a good tranny off of there, im not sure on all of the cars to choose from but im sure someone will chim in with all the different cars that you can swap with, im pretty sure mustangs and crown vics and maradures, not sure on any other (99+)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:06 AM

a cheap fix (if its just converter shudder) is to flush the system with merconV and see where that takes you. Make sure you pump the cooler line, and drain the converter, then drop the pan.

JH
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally posted by Warlockguitarman
take a look at greenleafauto.com you could get a good tranny off of there, im not sure on all of the cars to choose from but im sure someone will chim in with all the different cars that you can swap with, im pretty sure mustangs and crown vics and maradures, not sure on any other (99+)
Any modular based 4R70W, including the truck transmissions (with the caveats that Kris mentions below )

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8

Last edited by Palmguy; 09-09-2004 at 06:48 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmguy

Any modular based 4R70W, including the truck transmissions.
Excluding police cars with the longer tailhousing and of course 4x4 trucks. I don't know why the 5.4 transmissions bring so much more $, but they always seem to. I lucked into getting one for $350 but I've never seen another priced close to that. Crown Vic/Grand Marq units seem to usually be the cheapest, I can usually get them for around $250. Mustang ones cost a bit more, but at least you'll get the 11.25" converter with them.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally posted by kdanner

Excluding police cars with the longer tailhousing and of course 4x4 trucks. I don't know why the 5.4 transmissions bring so much more $, but they always seem to. I lucked into getting one for $350 but I've never seen another priced close to that. Crown Vic/Grand Marq units seem to usually be the cheapest, I can usually get them for around $250. Mustang ones cost a bit more, but at least you'll get the 11.25" converter with them.
Thanks for the correction. Aren't the 5.4 trans built just a bit more in stock form than the others? Not saying it's necessarily worth the extra money, especially if you build it up.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmguy

Thanks for the correction. Aren't the 5.4 trans built just a bit more in stock form than the others? Not saying it's necessarily worth the extra money, especially if you build it up.
They already have the higher pressure EPC solenoid. They have the stiffer wave plate in the forward clutch, not a concern if you are adding plates since that would be removed. The short planetary gears and the forward sun gear are made of stronger material. Those are the only real positives, everything else 99-up already has things like the 2.7" OD servo. The one negative is you want a car valve body to put in the 5.4 trans so that drives cost up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in