Idle Speed Issues Rough Acceleration when Cold - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Idle Speed Issues Rough Acceleration when Cold

Hello, long time listener first time caller.

My bird is giving me some problems. Started with a check engine light, ran codes,
I had a right bank lean condition and and egr solenoid issue. Got my mechanic to
change the solenoid and clear the codes. Next day after driving for about 10 miles
check engine light is back. Now only with right bank lean. Changed the plugs to
Autolights, gapped correctly. No change.

The bird also has trouble starting when cold. The RPM's will surge to around 1200 then fall to around 200 and sometimes stall out. This is smoothed out occasionally with a little gas. But overall this lasts around 1 minute until it will smooth itself out at normal speed. My mechanic calls this "hunting" for the correct idle speed. The car also has very poor acceleration at cold temperatures and enjoys to hang on to first gear way long than I like.

Please help, unfortunately I can't through a lot of money at it with my guessing.

Just when you thought it was safe to take the plywood down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forums.

What's the other code, by the way? The "hunting" idle problem has a few culprits, such as a faulty Idle Air Control valve, EGR-related issues (there are a few!), vacuum problems, and a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor. You can locate an article detailing the cleaning of the MAF sensor in the Technical Articles section listed on the home page of this site.

Try the MAF sensor cleaning, and, when the cleaning is complete, clear the PCM by removing the PCM fuse (it's a 20a fuse located in the Power Distribution Box near the battery - the fuse is in position 15), start the car (it won't start), replace the fuse, start the car, and take it for a drive.

As for the 1st gear problem, check the transmission fluid level and condition after the car has warmed sufficiently. Park the car on a level surface, leave the enigine running, and check the fluid level and condition.

Try a search here and see about other ideas.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

The other code was for the egr solenoid, I don't know exactly what it was, but it is not an issue anymore. I've been checking some threads about seafoam. Does anyone think this will help?

If so which vacuum hose do I attach the bottle to so it can go through the system?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Seafoam is worth a try - if anything, it'll help clean out other areas. Some folks use the brake booster vacuum hose for the Seafoam; others use the PCV line.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich95XR7
I had a similar issue last week, and believe it or not, it was from a leak in the air tube before the throttle body. letting the engine get unmetered air, and triggering a lean code.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Checked the vacuum lines all good except the upper pcv, I'll take care of that. But
I checked the MAF and oh my goodness, just caked on grime all over. Cleaned it up for the first time, cleared the codes. And my god runs like better than when I bought it. I highly recommend cleaning the MAF before doing any other repairs. All of my original problems involving starting, idle, and transmission shifts are gone.
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in