I think I've lost a head gasket... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I think I've lost a head gasket...

Got into my car yesterday morning to run some errands and it drove great. I get into the car this morning, and it's missing and smoking like all heck broke loose.

So I start fiddling with all the simple things and pull the plugs. Passenger side looks like the best set I've seen on a 4.6L. Great. Then on to the driver's side - 7 and 8 were all sooty and 5 and 6 were a little better but not great. hmm. After checking a few things, I find the spark plug boots arent fitting right. The electrodes inside are pushed up inside the boot. So me being in a hurry wanting to fix it (I'm at school and have few tools) I clipped just enough off the bottoms to make the boots fit right on the plugs.
By this time the car has cooled down. I start it up again, smooth as butter. Being optomistic I took it back out, and just as I pull out onto the road it starts smoking again.... just like it did first thing this morning. The smoke is mostly white, but I know for sure there's oil in it as well from this morning.
At least I'm now sure there wont be any mosquitoes within 1/4 mile of here...

Opinions?

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 11:48 AM
PostWhore

Let the car warm up a little, just enough where the cooling system starts to pressurize. You can squeeze the top radiator hose and feel for pressure.
Are you getting the whitish/blue smoke out of the tail pipes?
Then, slooooooowly , start letting pressure off the cooling system by loosening the cap of the coolant recovery bottle.
If the smoke stops, you, more than likely have a blown head gasket.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:15 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
Does the exhaust smell like gas at all? Does it appear to be running rich at all? The reason I'm asking is because that kinda sounds like what happened to my car when my PCM went and hung open an injector. Mine ran really rough and billowed out clouds of white smoke(unburnt fuel). Go to the parts store and get a noid light(fuel injector test light) and test to see if you have an injector hanging open. If you do, it's probably th PCM, at least that's what it was in my case. I think at least with the 94s this was a common problem, I'm not sure about the 97s. Just another thing to check, and it's a lot easier to fix than HGs.

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
so did you find it?

.............oh, my bad, sorry......

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

the exhaust doesnt smell like fuel IMO. And leaving the pressure off (which i will do from now on) didn't seem to affect the smoke either. As of now it is throwning no codes and my OBD2 tester says the o2's are still working okay (for now). If indeed the HG has gone I'll find the O2 dead soon. The exhaust has this funny smell that keeps telling me its probably coolant... but so far no coolant in oil or vice versa either. As the day wears on and it gets hotter out the smoke gets less and less noticeable, which wouldnt be the case if it were oil or fuel IMO.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
well, as far as i know fuel is black smoke, and oil is blue smoke, if it is white smoke then i hate to tell you but it gonna be coolant, have you been losing any coolant out of the resevoir? best thing to do is get the coolant system pressure tested, that way you know for sure, and look at the oil on the dipstick, if it looks like a mcdonalds chocolate shake then there is no doubt, sorry guy, i feel for you,

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:26 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver95Bird
the exhaust doesnt smell like fuel IMO. The exhaust has this funny smell that keeps telling me its probably coolant... but so far no coolant in oil or vice versa either.
Last year when my head gaskets went out(79K miles), I had the white smoke with the coolant smell.
I also just experienced a similar condition that 94TchikinV8 described.
My computer connections had gotten wet.
Ivan & my EEC
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

WTF... now I'm really confused.
Yesterday cars were leaving me 1/2 block of space for all the smoke I was pushing out. Today I get in it to do my laundry, and there's nothing wrong. After I did the laundry I took it up on a highway where I could actually get on it.... not a single lonely puff was visible from my mirror.
What the heck is going on here?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 04:57 PM
PostWhore

Are you using a computer chip?
Has your interior, mainly the passenger side, gotten wet lately?
Check your computer connections.
Quote:
Got into my car yesterday morning to run some errands and it drove great. I get into the car this morning, and it's missing and smoking like all heck broke loose. ...
By this time the car has cooled down. I start it up again, smooth as butter. Being optomistic I took it back out, and just as I pull out onto the road it starts smoking again.... just like it did first thing this morning. The smoke is mostly white, but I know for sure there's oil in it as well from this morning.
... the exhaust doesnt smell like fuel IMO. And leaving the pressure off (which i will do from now on) didn't seem to affect the smoke either. ...
Yesterday cars were leaving me 1/2 block of space for all the smoke I was pushing out. Today I get in it to do my laundry, and there's nothing wrong. After I did the laundry I took it up on a highway where I could actually get on it.... not a single lonely puff was visible from my mirror.
What the heck is going on here?
It does sound like head gasket problems, a small one maybe.
The car sits for a while, leaks a little coolant into a cylinder, you start the car and the engine begins to burn off the coolant, white smoke out of the tail pipes.
If your're leaving the top to the coolant recovery tank loose, the cooling system is not building up pressure, so when all the coolant that was in the cylinder/s gets burned off you only have very little or no smoke.
Quote:
Originally posted by chorizon
... best thing to do is get the coolant system pressure tested, that way you know for sure
I agree, get the cooling system pressure tested. The engines bottom end could get damaged. The crank shaft bearings could get damaged. You could hydrolock the engine. If that happens let the car sit for several hours, then just "bump" the starter. You don't want to bend or break a piston rod.
Pay it now or pay it later.

Last edited by JR Tigerstar; 09-19-2004 at 05:06 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

Something is screwy if you were doing your best at "Spy Hunter" style smoke screens the other day and now you're clean as a whistle. I would do a pressure test and see what comes up from that.
The only other (remote) thing I can think of: could there be a crack on your intake manifold? I know it is from left field, but I am just trying to think of anything else that could lead to such things.
Keep me posted Tom, sorry for missing you the other day.

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Still needs a clue

I think you had better find that head gasket if you lost it...(I know this wasn't a constructive/contributive post but I couldn't resist any longer!) Actually, this is an edit here, I noticed you have a PI Intake, is it possible the PTV sealer gave way and your leaking that way?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:01 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
I find the spark plug boots arent fitting right. The electrodes inside are pushed up inside the boot. So me being in a hurry wanting to fix it (I'm at school and have few tools) I clipped just enough off the bottoms to make the boots fit right on the plugs.
You can use needle-nose plier to reach inside the boot and grab the electrode and pull the wire through the boot. I had to do this on my new set from Ford to get them to fit.

Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by girdnerg

You can use needle-nose plier to reach inside the boot and grab the electrode and pull the wire through the boot. I had to do this on my new set from Ford to get them to fit.

Rob
I would have. but:

Quote:
(I'm at school and have few tools)
They're due to be replaced anyway I figure, so whatever.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

Pull your oil dipstick and look at the oil on the probe. If it looks milky you lost the head gasket. The smoking was a prelude to mine blowing.

98 4.6 SOHC, J-Modded, B & M 24K Tranny Cooler, Cold Air Intake, 76 MM MAF, RM Tube, March 1150 U/D Pullies, Poly Bushings, Air Bags, MK VIII Brakes and Wheels, Trak-Lok w/ 3.55's MK VIII Flex plate and Marauder T/C. Now that it can go, it'll be time for show.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

So far no oil in the coolant and the dipstick looks normal. UNtil I see it I'm going to keep driving it - though that isnt often at school, save groceries and weekends.

I suppose its possible the O2 sensor is shot on the drivers side since all those plugs were dark - when I go home this weekend I'll swap those 4 plugs and add a used but good O2 sensor I have lying around. If it was going full rich on 4 cyls that may explain the funny smoke. I would have thought it would be more black than whitish. I have the strangest luck with these things.

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Well Tom, did you suck up a gasket or what? If you did it would be a good time to put in some PI heads to match that manifold. In the mean time put some of those bars-leak pellets that come 6 to a pack. They won't clog anything and they will buy you some time. They are very effective in stopping a seep, but you hafta drive it easy.--yeah, right.

98 Lincoln Mark VIII Base
280 HP DOHC 4.6

And in this secret compartment of my ring I fill...
With an Underdog Super Energy Pill !
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

So far, I've replaced the O2 sensor on the drivers side... it seems better now. the plugs have cleared up, but I still get an occaisional miss at low throttle. Think it might be time to change the wires. My Vic is up and running again after I rebuilt the tranny this past winter, so hopefully I will get my 5.4L truck tranny put in the Bird along with my springs/shocks... blah blah blah. Make the Vic the winter beater and save the Bird. Been thinking about doing a little underside sandblasting to remove the rust before it gets bad. Then I can have it all prepped painted and clean for the 'Show and Go' season next spring.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear Poster

The wires were new when I got the car. If you remember they had just done the manifold and I had a miss, so Ford put new wires in it because of antifreeze contamination. So the wires are a couple of years old. I was looking at Ford Racing wires at the swap meet and they sure were pretty and not much more than stock. Have been looking at newer Mustangs lately-like your dad had when you guys were here. I need something fast again!

98 Lincoln Mark VIII Base
280 HP DOHC 4.6

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally posted by SOHCammer
Off topic I know, please forgive me...but dang, that was a great show! I forgot all about it until I saw your sig!

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I liked it, but I was much more a Rocky and Bullwinkle fan myself... that and danger Mouse. DM rocked.

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Still needs a clue

so did you find that missing headgasket?
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, it hasn't been smoking recently so I'm still driving it. Theory: I'm starting to wonder if the O2's were flooding the drivers side, and added in with the ignition miss it was passing all the oil and gas to the cat. The mix was then burning in the exhaust and making the smoke come out the back instead of being more absorbed by the cat. It may have dumped enough gas and oil into the exhaust that it took so long to burn off. A little oil makes a ton of smoke. Dunno if I'm right or not, but for now thats what I'm hoping. If it doesnt break on the 10th then I'll know all is good. lol.

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:28 AM
6th Gear Poster

Did you use adapters for your PI intake swap? Maybe a coolant leak inside the intake letting the coolant puddle if you used RTV to seal it.
I don't know if you got the rain form Jeane we did, bu tI found a puddle of water behind my backseat that I still can't figure out where it came from. it was leaking out this grommet plug underneath the back flooroard causing a puddle under the car. Scared me because i thought it was gas when I first saw it because of where it was leaking. Maybe you had some water leak onto your PCM from the heavy rains as mentioned above and it dried out.

edit: just checked the date of your post, so it wouldn't have been Jeane

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!

Last edited by ThunderB; 09-29-2004 at 10:45 AM.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I doubt it was the intake gaskets - my PI intake is epoxy portmatched and uses NPI gaskets with a lil RTV. If it was that I would be seeing a leak in just one cylinder or I'd see a leak coming out the side somewhere. The coolant level so far is staying put, so I'm not losing any at the moment.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 04:38 PM
PostWhore

wouldnt u use the PI intake gaskets if it was portmatched to the PI Intake?

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

To use PI gasket's I'd have to mill the heads to match. Not something you'd do in the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in