Best Cat-Backs? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Best Cat-Backs?

I wanna get a cat-back for my T-Bird so my car will actually sound good, but I don't have the money for a custom setup. My budget is around 200-250 bucks. Here are my questions.

1. Which cat-back system would give a nice, throaty, V8 rumble without the ricey drone?

2. If I get a kit without the resonator, should I buy the Magnaflow one or stick with the stock resonator?

3. If I get a cat-back and resonator will I gain any hp/torque with the stock cats, or will I lose some low-end torque?

4. How much lighter are the aftermarket systems lighter than the stock ones?

'99 Taurus 24V: daily driver/auto-xer
'95 Thunderbird LX V8: in the garage-"hibernating"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by V8Tsunami
I wanna get a cat-back for my T-Bird so my car will actually sound good, but I don't have the money for a custom setup. My budget is around 200-250 bucks. Here are my questions.

1. Which cat-back system would give a nice, throaty, V8 rumble without the ricey drone?

2. If I get a kit without the resonator, should I buy the Magnaflow one or stick with the stock resonator?

3. If I get a cat-back and resonator will I gain any hp/torque with the stock cats, or will I lose some low-end torque?

4. How much lighter are the aftermarket systems lighter than the stock ones?
I'll try to help where I can, but others who know what they're talking about will be here soon.

I'd suggest the Dynomax system. It is $210 at Summit. Some say it is too quiet, but they also say there is no drone. They also say it flows better than the Flowmaster system. Well, that's all I know.

Night was dark, but the sky was blue,
Down the alley, the ice-wagon flew,
Heard a bump, and somebody screamed,
You should have heard just what I seen.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

well i have the flowmaster on my car and i like that, ollies9d6 has the dynomax and i also like that. although i thought it was alittle harder to install than the flowmaster system because it was a really tight fit. i wouldnt worry to much about which one flows better, your not going to gain tons of hp from any cat-back setup. do it based on which one sounds best to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I have had both systems on my car. The dynomax is way quieter than the flowmaster. It is just barely louder than stock. The flowmaster will give you a good sound but it will aslo drone inside the car, that drove me mad untill I got use to it.

If I remember correctly they was the same to install, and was maybe just a little lighter than stock. I don't believe that you have a resonator, so don't worry about it.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I have a 95 V8, and if memory serves me correctly, the last time I looked under the car it had the resonator on it.

How does the dynomax catback sound with the resonator on there? I'm not concerned about noise, just that there's no drone and that the car sounds good like a V8 should.

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:50 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
Personally i like my flowmaster setup its got a real nice sound to it and it makes the ricers know you got a v8. So i say flowmaster but thats just my .02 cents.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
I have the ART system...no cats w/Flobastards...I have very little drone, but [email protected] it sounds good....Even if its out of your price range...go to a local shop and have them fab one...my 95 has a custom job from a local muffler shop and there is zero drone, and on the outside, she sounds mean It has Flomasters and it still has the cats...if ya wanna hear either setup...call me and I'll let ya hear them
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by V8Tsunami
I have a 95 V8, and if memory serves me correctly, the last time I looked under the car it had the resonator on it.

How does the dynomax catback sound with the resonator on there? I'm not concerned about noise, just that there's no drone and that the car sounds good like a V8 should.
IMO if you don't want any drone I would go with the dynomaz system, but eveyone is different on how much drone they will put up with. For me if I am by myself it does not bother me, but when I have some one else riding along and we are trying to talk, the flowmasters are loud and drony.

I did not notice that you had a 95, since I have a 96 I do not have a resonator. I would guess that all that the resonator delete kit would be, is a piece of pipe and a couple of u-bolts.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i know on my flowmaster kit you take your resonator and throw it in the garbage. the kit hooks a strait pipe up to where your resonator used to be.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:58 PM
6th Gear Poster

Flowmaster kit deletes the resonator with a small length of pipe included with the kit.

The dynomax kit bolts to the resonator on a 94/5 or bolts to the short pipe after the third cat on the '96/7.

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 04:34 PM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
hmmm my experiences..... i have the flow cat-back kit, i think it sounds good, has more of a throaty than the dynomax, but yes it does tend to drone right about 1700-2000 rpm...... then my step brother has the dynomax kit on his bird..

the dynomax is quiet but onece it breaks in and u have it on the car for a while it will get louder, but it doesnt really have a sound to it IMHO, its just a loud hummmm...?? dont really know what words to put it in. but the flows have that throaty sound. ive also been told that the dynomax is more for performance, whiel flows are for sound...umm lets see what else..

oh yea the dynomax is a nice sound while cruising, but it gets really quiet at wide open throttle?? which my flows are pretty loud, and i personally like that better... so its all up to you..
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

As far as the Dynomax system, you say it's quiet at wide open, but when you go wide open does it sound like a V8 or does it sound like it always does?

I really don't care how loud it is, I just want people to know that it's a V8 when I go by. I'm looking for sound quality over sound quantity. I want something that sounds like a V8 through the entire rev range without a ricey tone. Will the dynomax system do that for me? I'd hate to spend 200 bucks on something and then not have the car sound like a V8.

p.s. What kind of sound is the "drone" you guys speak of?, (ricey, v8 sounding, or just general noise?)

post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Insert Title Here

Quote:
Originally posted by Black_97_LX

I'll try to help where I can, but others who know what they're talking about will be here soon.

I'd suggest the Dynomax system. It is $210 at Summit. Some say it is too quiet, but they also say there is no drone. They also say it flows better than the Flowmaster system. Well, that's all I know.
This is going to sound really really dumb but is it a whole exhaust system or just the mufflers? The reason I'm asking is because my current cat's rattle like a mofo and I need to replace them.

1994 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe - 3.8L V6 - 15.125 @ 90.76

”Sticks impress high-school kids, autos win races” – Unknown
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

its the mufflers and the pipe from the, well, cats back. so to answer your question, your not going to fix your cat problem with one of these kits.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Insert Title Here

Ok, so I'll have to go to an exhaust shop for the cats forward? (I just realized cat-back duh!) Is it a bolt on?

post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

yup cat back systems are bolt-on. and yes you'll probably have to take it to an exhaust shop for the cats.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Insert Title Here

Can’t I just take a broom and unclog the cats my self? ehhehe jk but seriously do you think muffler shops will do a no cat system in LA?

post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

are your cats clogged or is it just a heat shield rattling? you can unclogg them yourself using the method you mentioned (something alittle stronger though), and i would have to say a reputable shop will not mess with the cats. its kinda illegal, but who knows what a small shop may do.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Insert Title Here

Hmmm,

Not even Mr Washington can convine them?

I was just kidding about unclogging them but jesus people actually do that? The heat shield rattles and I have a feeling that the cats are clogged since it's been 10 years or so in the making since my dad bought the car and drove it all over the US (190k miles!).

What do you suggest? No codes are thrown and I have a rough idle issue, I went to clean the IAC Valve and well I couldnt find it in my haynes book so I was up crap creek with that one.

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

rough idle huh, when was the last time it was tuned up? i would start with that (plugs, wires, fuel filter) and run some seafoam through it. you'll know if the cats are clogged if you gas milage really starts to suck, and it starts to have no power. it will basically choke the engine.
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Insert Title Here

I get maybe 9-10 MPG and 20 MPG in city. That's just a guess because my odo stopped counting miles.

I got beat by an old 1995 Stock Ford Ranger... sound clogged? :P

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

well it could be, if your going to take it in to fix the heat shield just have them take a look at the cats then. if it was me id just drop em, and then gut em and never worry about them ever ever again.
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Insert Title Here

Well,

My problem is I can't really gut them my self can I? Or will the rapid broom strokes cause everything to shimmy out? I want the cats completely gone because the inspectors around here are so lazy that the only thing they checked were my lights and blinker and gave me my sticker.

P.S. I just ate two sandwiches, 10 slices of ham, 12 slices of cheese, 2 slices of bread, on each sandwich and I ate three hot dogs. I'm 145lbs as of right now and I'm only 6 1! I have no idea why I just told you that…

Thanks,
EMP Big Papa Smurf

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

when you "gut" cats thats exactly what you want to happen. to knock out all the crap on the inside of the cats and leave them hollow. your going to put them back on the car when your done. if you do gut them, make sure you get everything out. if you dont then a piece and break off and re-clog it. you could do it yourself, but its probably easier with someone to hold the cat for you while you beat the crap out of it.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Insert Title Here

Wait, does the shop have to unweld the cats or something like that so I can gut them or can I do it with them on the car and just take a vacuum to it?

post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

you need to drop the exhaust from the car, the cats unbolt from the manifolds and you can seperate it at the other end where it bolts to the resonator.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Insert Title Here

Alright,

I'll drive down to my step dads to do this since he has a lift at his shop that he owns...I'm assuming that dropping the fuel tank (if I have to) is going to be a PITA?

post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

nope you shouldnt have to touch the gas tank, but the bolts on the exhaust will probably be really rusty. and make sure you get all the crap out of the cats. it took my father and me awhile to do this on my 86 but i never had a problem with them again.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Insert Title Here

So Wait,

So, I can do all of the exhaust up to the cats by my self in my driveway (garage is full of crap)? I know the heat shield will have to be fixed at a shop with a weld I suppose...

Thanks,
Eric M. Pelezo

post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

yeah a cat back setup will bolt up there no problem. it will be easier on a lift though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in