cams and rockers - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to infectrus
cams and rockers

what is the best cam and rocker set for our 4.6's? all i ever see in magazines and on the internet is 1996-mustangs with the 4.6, where can we get a good set for our cars, and sence were on the subject, what is different from the 94-95 mn12 4.6 and the 4.6 of mustangs from those same years?

1990 Nissan 300ZX N/A 5-Speed
222hp, 190tq
0-100km/h: 6.6sec (lotsa wheel hop)
Top speed: Hit Fule cut off at 146mph..(not bad for stock)

Future mods:
Greddy body kit; Nissan 350z "Lemans sunset" paint; TT swap with lotsa upgrades and greddy e-man.
Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Unfortunately, the head castings for pre-96 cars are not the same as 96-00 NPI engines. The valve springs and valve spring seats aren't the same, and they wont accept high lift cams without head work. That isnt worth it on the older castings.

So should you choose to do cams, keep the lift low (See Comp's low lift line, etc.). There arent any aftermarket cam followers that I know of, but you really don't need them anyway.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally posted by infectrus
what is the best cam and rocker set for our 4.6's? all i ever see in magazines and on the internet is 1996-mustangs with the 4.6, where can we get a good set for our cars, and sence were on the subject, what is different from the 94-95 mn12 4.6 and the 4.6 of mustangs from those same years?
The reason why you don't see anything but for 1996-newer Mustangs is because the 4.6 was not introduced in the Mustang until 1996. '94-95 Stangs were still 302-powered.

Silver95B is right as well about the heads. If you're getting that in depth into your motor, I'd recommend stepping up to newer heads, be they 96-98 F5 castings or PI heads.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan
TCCoAAC Founding Member

Send a message via AIM to JordanSypek
Aww you meaning to tell me Compcams didnt think the Crown Vic was worthy of Cams back in 92?

TCCOAAC (R.I.P. JOEL)
96 4.6 XR7 (T45 Swap, etc.)
97 4.6 Mustang Cobra (28k Miles)
95 4.9 F150 4X4 M5R2)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:22 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
Doesn't comp cams make a cam that you can just "bolt in"? I thoug i saw one on there web site for 91-95 heads maybe not i dont remeber.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:59 PM
RIP Jake

What you are looking for is the comp cams 268 grind... has .500 lift and lotsa duration ...should fit all apps, and has reasonable lift, some overlap, and decent duration ... expect gains of about 25 - 30 hp,...and dont need to change eec, has decent idle and drivability... 3.55 gears recommended, and the beehive valvesprings are a good addition as well , tho not required with that cam... JL is putting them in his new engine, I got some in mine based on his recommendation, and they work good any thing else will be a stretch for purpose built engines and are appropriate for those that are willing to give up something for more performance...

Also: silver bird , there are aftermarket cam followers (mechanical ) for the mod engine ... a proprietary product from a speed shop in PA, but awfully expensive, and a PITA to adjust, you ask me... PM j.Miller if you are interested and have deep pockets... he was touting them to me at one time, but actually they make no sense in my opinion
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

What's a cam follower? I always love to find out new things about cars, especially engines since I know so very little.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:10 AM
RIP Jake

Cam followers are a rollertipped arm with a pivot ... the roller is in contact with the cam , and translates its eccentric rotary motion into up and down motion on the valve at a given ratio.... they have a hydraulic lash adjuster on them . the mechanical ones I was referring to have a locking screw arrangement, and that is used instead to adjust valve lash(kinda like freeplay, to assure that they are loose enough to allow the valve to seat with some spring pressure) mechanicals have an advantage at extremely high Rpm, as the hydraulics are slower by design/ definition.Hydraulics are quieter by far, and therefore are more popular in stock automotive applications...thats kinda sorta a laymans explanation of followers, hope that explains it, otherwise try a chiltons manual, which may have a pic, which in this case would be worth a couple thousand of my words
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I sorta get it...

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I think we're not distinguishing things well enough here. The question was about cams and 'rockers'. To me that meant the cam followers. Yes, there are solid adjustable tappets out there should anyone want them - but most of us will neither want nor need them. To my knowledge there are not any available aftermarket cam followers. Just don't confuse tappets with followers, they are two completely separate parts.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Still needs a clue

What ratio are the stock followers?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 07:35 PM
RIP Jake

As I said there are some custom followers with solid lifters out there. J.Miller knows who makes them , Price astronomical , PITA adjustment, and only race practical for a mod motor in my estimation, or possibly a gift for the guy who has everything, and no bounds on what he wants, and yes I know the diff between a follower, and a tappet....
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yea, the shop is called Second Street Speed . Lon does great dyno tunes too.

I dunno but wasn't it two years ago when I sent you that intake and told you to gut it? Man oh man… Next you will get some solid lifters… and say it was your idea??? Those Natural Gas NG heads you have with the small valves do not help any. How about that small exhaust? I think you were denied too many sea rations!

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!
post #15 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:55 PM
RIP Jake

Well, John, I am not made of money, or healthy enuff to doo too much at once myself,(getting old y'know) but i do what I can , when I can , and will probably get those bigger pipes in a week or two, as I fried the T/C at the strip , Up 40 hp in the power band(Average), and down 0.1 sec in the quarter at 13.9, go figure, but evry once in a while things work for me .... The heads will do nicely enuff, I defer to your wisdom re the bigger pipes, as 2" true duals wont cut it, as for those followers, I just dont think theyre necessary as I am running a street/road car, and only use the strip as an alternate to the Dyno (cheaper)... however I think I will reach 320 RWHP without too much difficulty without any head work , or bigger valves, or a partridge in a pear tree, just mostly cuttin and fitting and polishing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in