TCCoA Forums banner

What is the general concensus on the TTY side bolts?

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  GreenBird 
#1 ·
Basically as the title states, what is everyone doing on the TTY side bolts that run near $100 beans to replace. Reuse them for under 300HP, never reuse, use only with iron or aluminum blocks, find a regular non TTY bolt at the hardware store, etc.

#2 ·
I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when I built my 4.6L.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm going from memory, but doesn't the manual say to replace them, but they only have a torque spec. Not the torque, turn 90 degrees, untorque, retorque, turn 90 deg, etc. like a TTY bolt?

If that is the case, I think I discussed this in length with my engine machinist and we both agreed to reuse them.

I too am interested in what everyone else says. :thumbsup:

And it's not like there are a lot of forces on those bolts anyway!!!

#3 ·
best bet is buy the arp bolts for once and you can reuse it as many times as you want???

#4 ·
Casper said:
best bet is buy the arp bolts for once and you can reuse it as many times as you want???
Are the side bolts available?

#5 ·
what is a side bolts???

is it the header bolt???

#6 ·
no, he's talking about the main side bolt. it secures the main cap to the side of the block.

From what I've seen, some are tty and some aren't. Not alot of info out there.

#7 ·
Casper said:
what is a side bolts???

is it the header bolt???
"Old school" called them cross bolts... as in "cross bolted mains". You can only install cross bolts on the mains if the block has a long skirt, like the old FE engines (360, 390, 427, 428) and the new Modular engines. Ford small blocks, 335 series (351C/M, 400), and 385 (429/460) series engine are "skirtless" blocks so you don't have the option of cross bolting the mains. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Supposedly...ARP 256-5801...

I called ARP a few days ago, and asked the Tech about the options for the 2003 Explorer build I am doing. She said that the 2V 4-Bolt Kit (256-5801) was the one I wanted (even though the new catalog still indicates "1998 & Earlier" :rolleyes: ).

Summit has the kit available for a little under $176.69 (as of 01/20/2005).

I have a kit coming, and will let people know if it really works....but it's likely to be a few more weeks before I get to that point...so you're on your own, if you go with them in the mean time. :D

Wayne

#9 ·
I know the LS1's are NOT TTY on the side bolts. It's a small M6 bolt, and it only torques to 18 ft-lbs. If this is the same on the 4.6, just reuse them. Or replace them with a good grade flanged head fastener from anywhere, torque to 18 ft-lbs, and reuse those forever. Be sure to seal under the head of the bolt, as these are going into the crankcase.

Mike

#10 ·
nickmckinney said:
Hate to hurt your feelings, but that kit only includes the main studs, not the side (cross) bolts. Last I was told ARP is not making anything for the side bolts as yet.
Yep...they arrived today, and you're right. Seems like that would be something they would want to CLEARLY point out in a "Kit" that is sold for a "4-Bolt" installation, huh? I went back and looked at the ARP Catalog and Summit (as well as a few other places) and found no mention of that fact. And, naturally, the ARP Tech said nothing. :rolleyes:

And the fact that I haven't torn into one of these Engines before, means I really don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Oh well...belay my last post...carry on!

#11 ·
Yes as I have mentioned before on this board, ARP is not making the SIDE BOLTS yet!!!!!!!

My 1995 block has some kind of hex insert, and then a bolt threads into that and the main.

Not sure if you call that a cap screw or what, but I don't think it does a whole lot.

Might be important just to reduce vibration for high resonsance, or high rpm.

The caps practically have to be hammered in to the block as it is, and with the main studs, they are not going anywhere, heh.

#13 ·
Teeps said:
Yes as I have mentioned before on this board, ARP is not making the SIDE BOLTS yet!!!!!!!

My 1995 block has some kind of hex insert, and then a bolt threads into that and the main.

Not sure if you call that a cap screw or what, but I don't think it does a whole lot.

Might be important just to reduce vibration for high resonsance, or high rpm.

The caps practically have to be hammered in to the block as it is, and with the main studs, they are not going anywhere, heh.
The "hex bolt" is supposed to be tightened (CCW) against the block to a specific torque spec. Then the side bolt goes through that and locks everything together.

Since the "fit" between the main cap and the side of the block is not perfect, the "hex bolt" takes up the slack. You'll need a long reach allen wrench that you can attach to a torque wrench.

All this is explained in the OEM manual. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
when i built my explorer block (AL) it had real bolts for the sides and i believe they had to be torqued to a certain value, and then turned 90*. i was told they can't be reused, so i bought new ones.

i'm just gonna hope i never have to tear it apart again. :zbash:

#15 ·
is this the side bolt's that everyone being talking about???

thanks.

#16 ·
Yes it is. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
is this bolt available on all 4.6 be it sohc or dohc?

i don't remember seeing it on my sohc.

#18 ·
It's definitely on the SOHC because I remember installing it on mine. I think the early blocks only have them on journals 1 - 4, with the last journal not having one. (I'm also not 100% sure journal #1 has one or not).

I'm not sure if they are the same bolt or not... but knowing Ford....I would suspect they are different... :bawling:

#19 ·
The side bolts come in 4 flavors:

Pre-99 Aluminum
99-up Aluminum
Romeo Iron
Windsor Iron

To my knowledge, the windsor is the only one with reuseable bolts. I know for a fact that 99-up aluminum blocks use TTY bolts. part number XF3Z-6345-AA. List is $15 EACH and you need ten. I have a new set here, and the bolts appear to be made from aluminum.

#20 ·
Heavy Metal said:
There was a post on MD that said they could be used up to 5 times. This was from some engine builder.
John at modular performance, but I'm not going to risk $4000 to save $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.