TCCoA Forums banner

rpm sticking at 2000?

670 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  weswing04 
#1 ·
I've suspected a bad TC for quite some time, but this has been coming up lately.. If the car is cold and i rev it, it sometimes sticks at 2000rpm. it wont go down on its own, I have to either turn it off or put it in gear and drive around a while, or it will come right back. sometimes turning it off doesnt help, i start it back up and its at 2000rpm.

The car also jerks and jumps and drops rpm a lot when i let off the gas.. been doing it for quite some time now, with the stock TC, mark8 TC, stock computer, SCT chip, SCT dyno tune, etc..

is there some sensor on the engine that could cause all this? thanks

#3 ·
Similar issues

Yeah, I've got some sporadic rpms going on with my 99 sc2 1.9dohc. Not so much sticking, but spiking at about 3000rpm intermittently, whether idling or driving, and then returning to around 12 or 1300. But I've got my temp guage shooting up to the mid point, and the cooling fan coming on, even when cold. Then it doesn't want to start up again unless it's sat for about 90 min. I'll check my iac next as I've all but completly replaced my cooling system and sensors. (I'm still pulling a p0125ect) Good luck!
Greg
CA

#7 · (Edited)
Wes, have you looked into the TPS???? With it sticking like that, I'd look into that first... Faulty TPS can cause those issues!

My Bird does the 'jerking' in 3rd and 4th gears too (worse in third). When I first got it, it wasn't quite as bad as now. After the SCT tune it was alot more noticable, but hasn't gotton any worse since the tune.

It did this with the stock TC and continued to do it when I upgraded to the Marauder TC from DirtyD0g. So the TC is out for me.

The tranny has been rebuilt (overhaul) and that didn't cure it!

Installed a new TCC solenoid and TPS. Didn't fix a thing!

It also did the jerking before and after the J-Mod. J-Mod had no effect on this problem.

I kind of gave up on trying to find my problem. I got used to it and learned how to use the throttle to keep it from doing the jerking quite as bad. The car still runs fine besides the annoying 3rd and 4th gear jerking. Would love to trace the probelm.....

The only thing I can think of that I haven't checked out is the shift solenoids or the computer..... :confused:

#9 ·
weswing04 said:
yeah i've learned to drive it where it isnt as noticible..

I've changed most of the solenoids in the tranny, all the speed sensors, etc.. but i havent touched the IAC or TPS..
Heh.... And I thought I was the only one with the jerking problem. Seems like there are quite a few of us.... you would think someone would have found a cure for this by now.

Sheeeshh! LOL

I think that you are having two different problems. The sticking and the jerking.

So yeah, I would check out the TPS and look into the TB to see if it is all gummed up or anything for the sticking.

Now, if someone could just find the cure to the jerking in 3rd and 4th gears...LOL!

:D

We need to get to the bottom of this damnit! I posted this problem a while back and no one had a fix for it.

If someone drives my car, they are just like WTF! Why is it doing this? How come it doesn't do it when you are driving?

Then I have to teach them to use the 'magic foot'... :tongue:

#11 · (Edited)
weswing04 said:
hey tony, does yours jerk when you first drive it on a cold day? Mine works great until it warms up a little bit, but then it gets really bad until it runs warm for a while..
Thats exactly what mine does Wes!

Once it starts to warm up... forget it. The first couple minutes of driving are so nice...LOL! It is really starting to get on my nerves lately!

We must find a cure...

Exactly what sensors have you changed so far?

Who elses does this?

EDIT: Here is a thread I had started about this over two years ago....
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=34865&highlight=jerking

#13 · (Edited)
So that is pretty much all the sensors in the tranny then. I pretty much did everything that you haven't done.

Damn, wish J-Man was still around to give his advice/opinion on this!

EDIT: Hmmm, wonder if it could be the TOT Sensor (tranny temp sensor)?? Because it seems to get worse the warmer the tranny gets.... I think I am going to just repalce all the sensors that I haven't replaced already.

Found this while doing some searching...

Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor:
The TOT sensor is mounted in the automatic gearbox sump and its input is used by the PCM for control of the torque converter clutch. When the temperature is low (below 15 C) and when too high (above 150 C) the PCM prevents the Torque converter clutch from engaging.

The sensor changes a control voltage from the PCM inverse to temperature. When the temperature is low, the sensor resistance is high, and vice-versa.

Fault Symptoms: harsh or slipping engagement

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.