4.6 Parts ... Hard to find. - TCCoA Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

4.6 Parts ... Hard to find.

I got my '94 -Bird 'bout Five years ago. So much pride as you do know wanted to do so much to her,you know what I mean. But, with all the ideas in the world there just is'nt enough money to go around. So I mentally compiled a dream list of Go-fast parts to add to our beloved MN12. I positively remember a company that had the most excellant exhaust systems known to the Thunderbird/Cougar community,by the name of MN12 Performance but he's not doing it full time anymore a shame really.
Then I found out MAC Performance had a Cold-Air Kit (a really nice one too) it was to die for. It was made of polished aluminium or something they had it for the '96 and up cars I was so excited that someday I might be able to purchase such goodies and share them with others in the Club. But to no avail, these innovative Go-fast parts are no more. I don't know for the life of me why High Performance companies ignore such an incredible automobile like ours. If anyone out there has any idea where a guy can get these coveted parts ...PLEASE LET US KNOW!

Philippe Mentor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 11:34 PM

Talking Try these links:

www.speedfreak.cc for exhaust

http://home.flash.net/~rfm2/ for intake air tube.

Hope this helps,

Mager Thom
1997 AED Thunderbird LX
287RWHP 345RWTQ

"It's ALL about air flow...eveything else...is tuning..."
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks Thom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Back in Black

Administrator

Re: 4.6 Parts ... Hard to find.

Quote:
Originally posted by Philippe Mentor
Then I found out MAC Performance had a Cold-Air Kit (a really nice one too) it was to die for. It was made of polished aluminium or something they had it for the '96 and up cars I was so excited that someday I might be able to purchase such goodies and share them with others in the Club. But to no avail, these innovative Go-fast parts are no more. I don't know for the life of me why High Performance companies ignore such an incredible automobile like ours. If anyone out there has any idea where a guy can get these coveted parts ...PLEASE LET US KNOW!

Philippe Mentor
The 96-97's breathe very well as it is, the only gains one would see with the MAC intake is A) the 90degree bend right before the MAF throwing off the transfer function and lying to the EEC about how much air the engine is getting. And B) Make your wallet a lot lighter after shelling out the big bucks for it. For looks, yes it's good, for "high performance" you need to start looking at things bigger than intake/exhaust.

for a 94-95 though, the Violin case can be a restriction, so I would go with the Richard M tube unless you want to make one yourself.

And honestly, even if it wasn't for the bend I don't see why anyone would want to go through the hassle of tearing in through the wheel well every time you needed to clean the air filter.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Cool

Richard M? What's that Shadow?:
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 10:53 PM

Talking That's the second link I gave you....n/m

Quote:
Originally posted by Philippe Mentor
Richard M? What's that Shadow?:
n/m

Mager Thom
1997 AED Thunderbird LX
287RWHP 345RWTQ

"It's ALL about air flow...eveything else...is tuning..."
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Re: That's the second link I gave you....n/m

Quote:
Originally posted by MagerThom

n/m
Yeah, what MagerThom said, his second link

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Poster

Richard M is full of [email protected]#$. $150 for an intake tube, he's gotta be joking. What a rip off. You could go to home depot or somewhere and get some rubber tubing for about $20.00. Don't buy from Richard M.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 03:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBird101
Richard M is full of [email protected]#$. $150 for an intake tube, he's gotta be joking. What a rip off. You could go to home depot or somewhere and get some rubber tubing for about $20.00. Don't buy from Richard M.
YOU DONT LIKE IT THATS TOUGH ****, DONT BUY ONE.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Mushroom Stamp Layer

Quote:
And you say "Don't buy from Richard M." why? Have you had problems with him in the past? Did he take your nachos? You can keep your ghetto Home Depot intake...there are people who want something nicer than a piece of rubber. Lets see you make a piece like he makes and sell them....atleast he's trying to help people!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Bean Flicker

Send a message via AIM to BlackTbird96
I know for my 96 he told me he could get me a tube for $150. And thats connecting to a 75mm TB and a 90mm MAF. Where can you go to get a custom job like that? I know MAC or someone sells a kit for a 96 but wants more then $150

Damn cheap people, Why is everyone so damn cheap? fixing up a car for a hobby is not going to be cheap so DEAL WITH IT.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Mushroom Stamp Layer

Let me also add....$240 to get this custom made locally two years ago for my old Cougar...
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 10:07 PM
Veteran Poster

Big bird better retract.

BigBird101,
I expect you to back up your statement.
I have not seen mandrel bent oval exhaust tubing in 16 gauge steel at any home improvement store. You will also not find the correct PCV fittings, high temp reinforced smooth bore hose and all fitting under the hood for the '94-'95 cars there either.

BTW, I have no knowledge of you evaluating one or otherwise, so if you would so kindly retract your statement then i will not have to explain how much it cost to TIG weld the compound angle required to get it to line up and look soooo nice.

Most fun I ever had was with the Texas TCCOA guys making power and drag racing.

Now I am using a 2001 BMW M3 Vert for fun.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:42 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NickFL Send a message via Yahoo to NickFL
Stupid....

...comments like that are what drive good people from this board. Why in the world would you want to say some stupid CRAP like that. The tube is sweet....I was quoted prices for custom mandrel bent intakes in the Tampa area for $200 plus...I think that I got a quality intake for a reasonable price from someone who is very much trusted and knowledgable of the MN12. So unless you care to elaborate on your ridiculous comments, then keep them to yourself. I happen to enjoy being able to get valuable information about T-Birds here, without having to deal with the stupid comments of kids driving thier fathers cars who are pissed off that daddy wont let them mod the car. So when your father lets you start to mod the car, then you will be calling RichardM for one of his intakes...nuff said....sorry....

Later, NickFL
[email protected]
2004 COBRA COUPE #3036 of 3768 OXFORD WHITE; 601.5 RWHP @ 6450 RPM; 595.2 lb/ft Torque @ 3750 RPM; 18* Timing | 18.5 PSI Boost | 11.94 AF

Whipple 2.3L | Steeda idler | Reichard idler pulleys | Metco 2# Lower | Reichard 3.0 Upper | Magnaflow Catted X-pipe | Magnaflow Catback | Focus Pumps | 8AN lines | CPR rails | SD 60lb injectors | TR6 Plugs | Revolution chip | MAFiA | BBK T-body | Steeda CAI | Custom heat exchanger | Royal Purple coolant additive | Kenny Brown super subs | Steeda lowering springs | IRS bushings | IRS weld in braces | FPDM rewire | MT ET Street Radials | Centerforce clutch | Steeda billet quad and cable | Lunar boost and fuel gauges | Autometer gauge panel
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:55 PM
Bean Flicker

Where does everone get those hose pieces used as connector on those tubes? I need to get an intake tube and need to find those pieces. Im gonna have someone i know make one for me hopefully or I will be calling richard up.

Hey, can we still call it the richardM tube or is that something against that now? no more "-"mod for the trans
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 05:49 PM
4th Gear Poster

Okay...Here is a better picture....

I was sent an email telling me that I had a nice looking car, but that it was tooooo dirty, especially the engine. Well, I took some time today cleaning my engine. I think that it looks much better....Well, AverageJoe...thanks for the advice...how does it look now?

It is a little bit better...still not perfect...but at least it is cleaner

One more....

Later, NickFL
[email protected]
2004 COBRA COUPE #3036 of 3768 OXFORD WHITE; 601.5 RWHP @ 6450 RPM; 595.2 lb/ft Torque @ 3750 RPM; 18* Timing | 18.5 PSI Boost | 11.94 AF

Whipple 2.3L | Steeda idler | Reichard idler pulleys | Metco 2# Lower | Reichard 3.0 Upper | Magnaflow Catted X-pipe | Magnaflow Catback | Focus Pumps | 8AN lines | CPR rails | SD 60lb injectors | TR6 Plugs | Revolution chip | MAFiA | BBK T-body | Steeda CAI | Custom heat exchanger | Royal Purple coolant additive | Kenny Brown super subs | Steeda lowering springs | IRS bushings | IRS weld in braces | FPDM rewire | MT ET Street Radials | Centerforce clutch | Steeda billet quad and cable | Lunar boost and fuel gauges | Autometer gauge panel
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 05:53 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Re: Okay...Here is a better picture....

Quote:
Originally posted by NickFL
I was sent an email telling me that I had a nice looking car, but that it was tooooo dirty, especially the engine. Well, I took some time today cleaning my engine. I think that it looks much better....Well, AverageJoe...thanks for the advice...how does it look now?
You missed a spot!

Kidding.. looks alot cleaner, and I've seen much dirtier than yours was to begin with.

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:15 AM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Ok Nick, now you can just bite me. :p I can only wish that my car looked that good. Or that I could even afford a RichardM tube. (are we still allowed to call it that?) Although I do still love your car. BTW, has anyone considered dynoing their stock 94-95 TBird before and after the RichardM tube to see if it makes a true difference? (I'll front the money for the dyno session if someone will front the money for a RichardM tube for "evaluation" purposes )

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 09:56 AM
4th Gear Poster

Just a little push!!

That is all it took for me to clean that engine bay. I just needed to take the time to do it. Thanks for the compliments AverageJoe...

Later, NickFL
[email protected]

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Poster

If you people want to get ripped off go ahead, but some people on this forum go to college and have to pay the bills along with keeping their car working. I don't come from a rich family that pays my bills so I have to go with cheap and effective. The only reason I even have this car is because my friend's dad had a car lot. Got my bird for $1,000, and i'm still paying the bank back. Go ahead and pay $150 for an intake tube and give Richard M. a profit of about $100. Have a nice time spending your money.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
If you people want to get ripped off go ahead, but some people on this forum go to college and have to pay the bills along with keeping their car working. I don't come from a rich family that pays my bills so I have to go with cheap and effective. The only reason I even have this car is because my friend's dad had a car lot. Got my bird for $1,000, and i'm still paying the bank back. Go ahead and pay $150 for an intake tube and give Richard M. a profit of about $100. Have a nice time spending your money.
and what does mac sell their cai for?? about the same price. so yea ill spend my money with Richard anyday because his stuff is nicer than the mac stuff.

you should try finding stuff for a 66 tbird. haha
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Rebel Without A Clue

And that is the main point against bb101's post. If you have the money you can buy whatever you want. Being expensive is all point-of-view. $150 for a good part is not expensive for me. But no one should tell anyone not to buy from someone simply because they can't afford what's being sold. I'm confusing myself.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:00 PM
4th Gear Poster

Ummm....

Quote:
...why dont you make sure you know what you are talking about before you go spouting off like that. There are a lot of members here that work hard for what they have, myself included. I admire the fact that you are going to college, and you are keeping track of where your money goes. No, I dont have anyone paying my bills. Does that make me a bad person, because I am now established in the world, make an above average income, and decide to spend $150 on something that I like? I dont think so. I believe that the price is fair in the market compared to the other choices. So, you have been involved in building the intake with RichardM? So, then of course you know how much it costs him to build the intake as far as materials? And then of course you can determine exactly how much his time is worth? Well, I would have to say that congrats to RichardM if he is turning a $100 profit on each intake. He has found a way to produce a product with competitive pricing, and make a profit. Let see I believe that is called retail. Of course if the materials cost him $50, and it takes him a total of 1.25 hours to produce the tube (just pulling numbers), and at an average shop rate of $50-70/hour, now how much profit is he making? I dont have any idea what RichardM does for a living, so I have no idea how much his time is worth.

Congratulations on going to college, making a wise decision on purchasing a car, and working hard to pay it off. However there are also people on this forum who work hard, earn good money, and choose to spend it HOWEVER they choose, so how about keeping your comments to yourself, because RichardM is a well respected member of this club.

I think I have said my peace now...

Later, NickFL
[email protected]

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Poster

You don't even need 16gauge steel for an intake tube. How often are people showing off their engines to other people unless it's a show car. If you have a show car then I can understand buying an intake from richard m. When it comes down to performance, cheaper rubber tubes do the same as the steel ones. I saw your car Nick nice body kit.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Bean Flicker

Why do some people think making a car go fast is cheap? Im only 19 and make good money and its really easy to spend a whole pay check ($1000) on car parts. I do have bills and everything too and work hard for my money. Fixing up car is an expensive hobby so if you dont want to spend money then maybe you so go start sewing or something. To get a bird going fast (i mean in the 13's) its really easy to spend a couple $1000 to get there. And thats really the only way to get there, without nitrous. And if you want to drag race, the faster you make your car the more you have to spend to make your car safe. I think its faster then 13.99 you have to wear a helmet. So look in the summit catalog ($300) If you go faster then i think 11.99 you need a roll cage, (try finding one for a thunderbird, I haven't)

So you want to go fast, SPEND THE MONEY!!!
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Poster

This is not about going fast for me. I'm trying to save money on fuel. I would have got a civic if I could have found one for the same price. You can fill those up and drive everywhere without going to get some more gas. Someday when I get some money and I want to go fast, I'll buy a Chevy. Maybee a 650 hp monster chevelle. To get that out of a T-bird you'd have to get a whole new engine. Until then I'll be economic.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:35 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
I myself have do not have a RM tube BUT I have met the man (in RI Ithink you came to a meet) and he was replacing tubes because HE didnt like how it fit on other peeps cars not that they complained he did this on his OWN name a company that would do that? Try to make a HIGH quality tube on your spare time and see what you would sell it for? Have a bad day at work TOUGH need to get those orders out want to work on your car TOUGH! need to get those orders out.... I think we need more peeps like RM who give up there time and effort for the benifit of other [email protected] owners what have you done for us BigBird101.. what modifications have you designed? I say make one cheaper and sell it to the club on your own time OR Apolige to RM and to the club which you insulted as a whole and retract that statement.

1998 Toyota Supra

with fresh rebuilt T12b x2
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Bean Flicker

Just about everyone in this club does stuff to there car. Its just from a chip to a engine swap with a blower. It depends what people can afford and do. And thats fine that you don't want to do anything to your car but dont rip on others for doing things. What is the point of you coming to this site if (from what it sounds like) you really dont care to much about your bird? There are people here that spent $1000 on their car and are out there washing there car everyday, trying to make it look the best.

So a good question would be is, Why do you come to this site? what do you get out of it?

Just go buy your chevy
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:50 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Robinson
Quote:
This is not about going fast for me. I'm trying to save money on fuel. I would have got a civic if I could have found one for the same price. You can fill those up and drive everywhere without going to get some more gas. Someday when I get some money and I want to go fast, I'll buy a Chevy. Maybee a 650 hp monster chevelle. To get that out of a T-bird you'd have to get a whole new engine. Until then I'll be economic.
you know what i always find amusing? anyone, yes anyone, who will spend any negligable amount of money on any car in order to save money on gas. i can see maybe the $50 for a K&N for better gas mileage... MAYBE. anything more is just silly if thats the outlook you have.

more amusing is anyone who spends money on their car to make it faster then complains about gas mileage.

i dont care if its $150 for an intake tube, $300 for a chip, or $3500 for a new engine. complaining about bad mileage or boasting about good mileage when youve spent so much on modifications is just silly.

www.innerlusion.com
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
89 SC 5 speed

FCoNE President

Last edited by Robinson; 08-01-2002 at 05:55 PM.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Poster

I come to this site because my bird is old. It always seems to breakdown. Since I don't have much money I can't just take it to the mechanic to get it fixed. I have to fix it my self. This site does have some good info that can help me fix my car. I think I will buy my Chevy, because Chevy is better. They will tear up ford and their T-Birds. Any V8 stock camaro from 90 to 02 that they built would smoke these V8 birds. Face it Chevy's are the best if you want speed. If you want a slow car go for ford or dodge or imports. T-Birds are big heavy granny cars.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in