Here are some pictures of Project Snake Bite - In kit form (some assembly requred) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Here are some pictures of Project Snake Bite - In kit form (some assembly requred)

Here is the Lucky car that was chosen to be Snake Bit - sitting on a trailer in Austin TX just before it's ride to it's new home in Ocala FL.

Here's the suprise I have for it

Notice it is still sitting on the Cobra sub-frame with the Tremec Transmission attached. Anyone interested in a Tremec? I got the front hubs and lower control arms from the donor car as well as about 3 inches of the driveshaft:p

Here is that signature plate

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to modify the steering shaft on the T-Bird so I can use Cobra shorty headers - Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 10:24 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

I'm courious...you didnt happen to get that car off ebay with a thrown rod (or something similar wrong with it) did you? What year Cobra motor is that? I'm gonna have to check that beast out when your done

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 05:52 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ruffledfeathers
Im in ocala

I am a service writer at pepboys in ocala.
Any parts you may need that we have, come see me and ill get
you a good discount.
Email me if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

You have a good memory

Aaron K,
This is that very same car that was on e-bay. The car didn't auction off, so I called the owner and he said he needed $2500 for it. I was specifically looking for a black '96 to do this project with so we made a deal. (I didn't want a '97 because I don't like the lack of gauges). I rented a truck and drove out to Austin to pick it up. The car is loaded (sun roof too) and everything except the engine appears to work. I think it has the "sport" package as well. How can I tell? I would love to show it off to you when I get it done. I need more cash now before I proceed. I figure about $3000. I am going to have Dennis re-flash the computer($250) and re-build the tranny ($1500) to Jerry's specs - he also has the Lightning MAFS (Jerry, can we do a package deal? ). I also have to buy headers and have a dual exhaust system fabricated($???). Plus I need some junkyard parts from a Mark VIII. And a hood.

Speaking of hoods, which one of the Cobra style hoods is the best?

Ruffledfeathers,
That would be great. I'll get in touch with you

Mark D, Mark J, and Chris,
I want thank you for helping me out with this project. Your input is invaluable.

One last thing,
I'm still looking for Alex Baynard. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him, please let me know.

Oh yea,
One more thing, does anyone have an idea of what that Tremec transmission is worth?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

I had a funny feeling that was the same car. I was thinking of buying it an putting a 99+ GT engine in it...but I like your engine choice better I'm pretty sure that it's a sport, unless the owner before you put the 16" sport wheels on it. Is there something wrong with the tremec? If I were you, that would go in with the engine As far as exhaust, I've heard a lot of good things about the ART true dual kit from http://www.speedfreak.cc/

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 01:54 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Re: You have a good memory

Quote:
Originally posted by gkasper
I think it has the "sport" package as well. How can I tell?
Check the door jam sticker, the spring code should read JJJJ. Check the front brakes for the larger 11.57" rotors. The caliper mounting bracket will have a 16 scribed in it. You need the 16 inch Sport rims with these brakes. Hope this helps.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

A little history on the Motor and Transmission

The motor and transmission I bought came out of a 1999 model Ford Motor Company test vehicle. The car was never titled. I don't know what they were testing on the car. Greenleaf in Ft. Worth, who I bought the engine from, says that they have bought several motors this way from Ford and that the only thing they have seen is that sometimes the motors have different components in them that a stock motor does not. I hope they didn't do a destruction test on my motor. The motor is supposed to have less than 10K miles on it. One of the pictures I got from Greenleaf showed the build ticket still attached to the motor.

As far as the Tremec goes, it should be pristine if it has less than 10K miles on it. I don't want to use it because I don't like to have to shift gears all the time. I have a Mustang GT with a five speed that I can drive whenever I want to shift gears.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:53 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NickFL Send a message via Yahoo to NickFL
We need to get...

...all of these central FL birds together sometime...We could all meet up one evening...or afternoon...Who wants to plan it?? I think it would be a nice time....Would like to see the Snake bit Bird!!!

Later, NickFL
[email protected]
2004 COBRA COUPE #3036 of 3768 OXFORD WHITE; 601.5 RWHP @ 6450 RPM; 595.2 lb/ft Torque @ 3750 RPM; 18* Timing | 18.5 PSI Boost | 11.94 AF

Whipple 2.3L | Steeda idler | Reichard idler pulleys | Metco 2# Lower | Reichard 3.0 Upper | Magnaflow Catted X-pipe | Magnaflow Catback | Focus Pumps | 8AN lines | CPR rails | SD 60lb injectors | TR6 Plugs | Revolution chip | MAFiA | BBK T-body | Steeda CAI | Custom heat exchanger | Royal Purple coolant additive | Kenny Brown super subs | Steeda lowering springs | IRS bushings | IRS weld in braces | FPDM rewire | MT ET Street Radials | Centerforce clutch | Steeda billet quad and cable | Lunar boost and fuel gauges | Autometer gauge panel
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:53 PM
Veteran Poster

Is it a T-45 or the T-56 six speed and would you like to trade for a 4R70W from a 97 with ONLY 50,000 miles on it.

97 LX sport 4.6
T-45 5 speed, 3.73 with track lock; PI heads, 02 MAF, #24 injectors,190 fuel pump,JBAs, 75mm TB. ect,ect.; Aluminium drive shaft. 13" PBR Brakes; Dennis chip, lowered with solid sway bar bushings and hiem joints; console mounted E brake WITH the cup holders; C&l Plenum, Steeda U/D; VERY big radiator; 2.5" duals, Magnaflows;B&M ripper shifter; bla..bla...bla...

Lincoln MKVIII 93.........sweet ride.
Bag-less, lowered.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 01:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
Exhaust

Just so you have some idea of what exhaust may cost, I used some cats I had, lets call them 'high flow' cats. I think you all know what I am talking about. I don't know if you have cast and can't see your picture again til after I post this to see, but uness you know someone you will problaby need cats to get exhaust put on it. My exhaust for 2.5" pipe wth an x cross over and 2 flowmaster 40 series originals was $370. Just so you have a ballpark figure. This sounds AWESOME!

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ruffledfeathers
Lightbulb Calling all central Fl. birds (and cats)

I think a gathering would be a great idea.
We need to find a center piont so none of us have to drive very
far.
I live in Ocala.
Where are the rest of you from?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Illinois Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to TydlwavS
Mark Jones used a set of offset rack bushings with FRPP shorties if I remember everything correctly. He didn't have issues after the new rack bushings went it. I see more and more people doing this swap and I like the idea....Someone needs to get an 03 Cobra motor in the car and make it look a little more interesting.

"That is the worst looking car in the whole world. I'd rather look at one of your dingle berries"

Check out what we've been up to....
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Hey gkasper. Have you figured out if that Tremec is th3e T-45 or the T-56 yet? Hows the progress on your project anyways?

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Cobras don't have tranny options. If it is a 99 motor, that tranny is whatever a 99 Cobra came with. It is defintiely a 99 or newer motor as it has the covers for the coil on plug on the valve covers and not the covers for the spark plug wires.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Sheepish

Well, the reason I asked is because he said it was an SVT test motor. You never know what SVT is going to be working with at any given time, ya know? BTW, how much would you consider selling that tranny for?

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Tremec Transmission

I would assume that it is a T-45, but I don't know how to tell for sure. Does anyone know how to tell the difference? As far as what it's worth, I have looked at various sources on the web and in the Mags and it looks like the going price is between $1000 and $1400. Based on this, I would think that I should get at least $1000 for it.

As far as progress on Project Snake Bite, I am still gathering data from several different sources who have done it. I am also mapping the engine harness connectors from the motor to the T-Bird using the '96 and '97 Ford shop manuals. I also have to accumulate more cash for the miscellaneous parts, transmission mod, and exhaust system. When everything is planned out and all parts are acquired, I will do the swap.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Veteran Poster

It looks like a T-45. Try moving the shift lever through the gears and try to tell if has 5 forward gears (T-45) or six (T56)

97 LX sport 4.6
T-45 5 speed, 3.73 with track lock; PI heads, 02 MAF, #24 injectors,190 fuel pump,JBAs, 75mm TB. ect,ect.; Aluminium drive shaft. 13" PBR Brakes; Dennis chip, lowered with solid sway bar bushings and hiem joints; console mounted E brake WITH the cup holders; C&l Plenum, Steeda U/D; VERY big radiator; 2.5" duals, Magnaflows;B&M ripper shifter; bla..bla...bla...

Lincoln MKVIII 93.........sweet ride.
Bag-less, lowered.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NaPalmfsr
Re: Calling all central Fl. birds (and cats)

Quote:
Originally posted by ruffledfeathers
I think a gathering would be a great idea.
We need to find a center piont so none of us have to drive very
far.
I live in Ocala.
Where are the rest of you from?
I am up for a meeting. I live in Leesburg, FL. hey Ruffledfeathers, I was still waiting to hear back from you about going racing this weekend. Lemmie know something man, [email protected]

'94 V8
Custom Ram Air System
Custom Upper Intake Tube
3.73 R&P, with Trac Loc
Kenwood Headunit
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 09:48 AM
4th Gear Poster

very nice... thats my plan someday. thats why im not spending anything on my sohc. all suspension for now. are the newer engines still aluminm block? maybe i'll build a mkVIII motor instead. were there ever any 5.4s with an aluminum block? only a year left of school so after that, i might actually get stuff done! good luck with the project- keep us updated

Dave
still stock: 15.6 @ 88.5
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The 5.4 L DOHC in the Navigator is an Aluminum block as was the DOHC 5.4 in the Cobra R but telling you that does you no good, that would be some trick finding a motor that there are only 300 of, ALL 4.6L DOHC engines EXCEPT the 03 Cobra have Aluminum blocks.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Automatic Weapon

gkasper: do those front hubs have brakes on them? I would be interested in hubs and brakes.
Thanks!

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Hubs from the Cobra Donor

Unfortunately, the hubs did not come with the brakes. If they had, I would probably be looking at utilizing them on the project car.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:12 PM
4th Gear Poster

cool, thakns for the info... only 300 DOHCs made huh? i like displacement but i guess building a mark motor would be the easiest.

Dave
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Only 300 DOHC from Cobra R's rated at 380ish hp, that is why that one was irrelevant, they only made 300 Cobra R's, Navigators are everywhere, they have DOHC 5.4's, they are rated at 300 HP, Cobra's were rated at 305...Cobra swap is easier...

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Blaze
attn gkasper

are you sure that the cobra engine will squeeze between the fenders of your bird? The motor looks considerably wider than the tbird 4.6. Blazz

Bradley Blaze
I'd Love to Live Life in the Fast Lane, but I'm Married to a Speed Bump
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Tight Squeeze

Others have gone before me.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Its only an inch wider than the SOHC engine, and the Cobra engine width is the same as that of a Mark VIII engine. All the under hood dimensions of a Bird and Mark are the same as far as I could tell when I dropped the Mark engine in my Bird. It'll fit like a glove.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 01:16 PM
4th Gear Poster

but the 5.4 has more torque right? more displacement. if you build a 4.6 4 cam and 5.4 4 cam using similar mods, the 5.4 should give you more power. they are both a large project, might as well go for the 5.4! (as long as theres room for the procharger!) its fun to talk but eventually one of those will go in. just gotta jump in to these things head first. if you plan things out, you'd be scared off by all the obstacles.

Dave
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 01:53 PM
Sheepish

Will a 5.4 DOHC even fit in our engine bays? I know the 4.6 DOHC is a tight fit, and a 5.4 SOHC is a tight fit. But I think the 5.4 DOHC would be just a tad too wide. But I could easily be wrong. Good luck with both of your projects.

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 10:02 PM
4th Gear Poster

yeah, hightwise i wouldnt expect it to, but width im not sure. the sohc's in our cars have the same clearance as the dohc in a mark which is the same basic car. so if a sohc 5.4 was fit into a bird, im guessing that the dual would too. still possible it might not though without mods to the strut towers. that and you might have to stiffen the rest of the car so it dosnt twist up like a tin can. just some random thoughts. anyone know about exhaust clearance issues? the steering column thing is a factor but others have worked around it. i'll worry about it when i have the money

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in