MAF or Coil Packs?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
MAF or Coil Packs??

Ive noticed a little probelm from my 97, after i got back from pittsburgh. About mid throttle, it hesitates, but not all the time. I do have CEL on, but its for the rear oxygen sensors. Idling or 3/4 throttle it goes away. The MAF and coil packs are original on it.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 12:22 PM

I'd say try cleaning the MAF first and if that doesn't work, it could be your 02 sensors. The MAF could easily cause your hesitation problem.

Is the code for catalyst efficiency below threshold? If yes it might just need a good tune up. How old are the front and rear 02's? If they've got more than 75k you might want to replace the fronts in conjuction with cleaning the MAF and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, the rear 02's might need to be changed. I doubt your coil packs are to blame at all.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well I cleaned the MAF. Literally 2 Q-tips of blackness. I used CRC QD Electcic contact cleaner, or something like that. Put it back on, MAN it runs like a scolded dog, or should I say cat My CEL is still on, but im going to delete it next time Im at work.

P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

its still doing it, sorta. The A/F ratio gauge doesnt bounce around like crazy anymore when its not doing it, but when its going to do it, in bounces around like crazy.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
unless its a wideband A/F ratio gauge, i wouldnt use it to diagnose any problems.....did you reset the computer after cleaning the MAF?......a dirty maf, as we know you did have, will cause the adaptive learning strategy in the EEC to learn fuel-corrections that will stay in the KAM (keep alive memory) and will be still be utilized in open-loop long after a dirty maf is cleaned, even though now they would not necessarily be needed......point is, reset your EEC.....pull out the EEC fuse and crank it a few times with it out....then put it back in and start your car and let it idle for 5 min, then take it out for a spin

Last edited by guitar maestro; 09-05-2006 at 02:04 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

wheres the ECC fuse? Could I get the same effect if I just delete it with my actron OBDII scanner?

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:47 AM

EEC fuse is in the power distribution box in the engine compartment, #15. But no, clearing the codes won't reset the computer's adaptive learning strategy as guitar maestro mentioned. You've got to start from a clean slate. Pull the fuse, wait a minute or two, pop it in and go. Your car might not feel all there for several miles, but it should all go away.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear Poster

The Code For My Bank 1 Number 2 02 Sensor Has Been Going On And Off For About 3 Weeks, But I Just Had My Maf Cleaned. Does It Sound Like I Have The Same Problem? I Havent Noticed The Car Running Bad But I Have Noticed That I Cant Get Over 24 Mpg With A V8..please Help
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavy
The Code For My Bank 1 Number 2 02 Sensor Has Been Going On And Off For About 3 Weeks, But I Just Had My Maf Cleaned. Does It Sound Like I Have The Same Problem? I Havent Noticed The Car Running Bad But I Have Noticed That I Cant Get Over 24 Mpg With A V8..please Help
If it's referencing Bank 1 Sensor 2, then that would be the catalyst efficiency monitoring sensor and it won't affect the way your car runs. Just curious, what was the code?

You not getting above 24 MPG is dependent on many things. Is the car well maintained (i.e. plugs, wires, low-mileage oxygen sensors, fuel filter, etc.)? Are the tires good (properly inflated, aligned)? Also, how's your right foot?

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear Poster

i usually don't step on it too much and i run interstates around 78mph. The car has 75k miles, new tires, new plugs, new fuel filter, new tranny fluid, new wires, and my tires are properly inflated. i'm not sure of what the code was exactly....you know how specific those autozone guys are
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I pulled the fuse, cranked it, and the CEL went away. I was driving down the interstate, around 70 mph, and it came back on . Whenever I start my new job and get alot of extra cash, Ill replace all the sensors.

Oh, those auto zone guys are working with equipment that isnt too accurate. If you want an accurate reading, pay 30 bucks and go to a dealer or shop.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear Poster

i work at a dealership...but i unlike a lot of people am very tight with the little money that i have
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
i usually don't step on it too much and i run interstates around 78mph. The car has 75k miles, new tires, new plugs, new fuel filter, new tranny fluid, new wires, and my tires are properly inflated. i'm not sure of what the code was exactly....you know how specific those autozone guys are
Well, your MAF and oxygen sensors play a huge role in your gas mileage. How many miles are on the oxygen sensors?

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear Poster

they're probably stock so 73k
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 PM

It wouldn't hurt to change them. With the age and mileage they have, it's guaranteed they aren't as fast and accurate as they once were. Oxygen sensors can give you upwards of 4 MPG better fuel economy.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcline
I pulled the fuse, cranked it, and the CEL went away. I was driving down the interstate, around 70 mph, and it came back on . Whenever I start my new job and get alot of extra cash, Ill replace all the sensors.
Well, since you said you cleaned it and it made a difference and then the problems started again, it might be that the MAF needs replacement. I'd start with replacing that and see if it goes away. Then the only other likely thing would be the 02's, that is if the rest of the engine is OK. Are the plugs, wires, and fuel filter all in good shape?

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

plugs are new from what ive heard, wires are original (200K+), and ill probably end up changing the fuel filter this weekend. When I took the MAF off, all the connections were fine, and the filaments were still intact and not burned out. They were just dirty. Ill run the computer check tomorrow and post up the exact code and what its saying.

After i cleared the computer, its not hesitating anymore, just that annoying CEL again.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:38 PM

That's a lot of miles for plug wires!! If those rear 02 sensors are original, they may be switching too slow now which may be the cause of the CEL.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I lied, it is starting to hesitate again =(

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 04:48 PM
4th Gear Poster

Probably the MAF, like everyone is stating. It will cause that problem and is a fairly typical problem, it seems. It was affecting my car when I bought it, and the previous owner had already had new coil packs put on it (that's a plus for me). I put new plugs and wires on, and while it ran somewhat smoother (2 wires had cuts in them, anyways), the hesitation and slow revving was still there. Then I bought a MAF sensor and it was a night and day difference. Like a brand new car.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 12:41 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

if you're not sure if the plugs are new, replace them with new copper Autolite or Motorcraft spark plugs...its cheap enough.......if the jacket on a spark plug wire has been compromised, it may be arcing at high engine loads, especially if the plugs are old and/or improperly gapped

get the code scanned, and look at the code reader and write down the code, period
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 07:40 AM
3rd Gear Poster

my cel came on again last night but i havent noticed any difference. i believe its still the 02 sensor...what do ya think?
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
my cel came on again last night but i havent noticed any difference. i believe its still the 02 sensor...what do ya think?
Get it scanned and record the code to be sure.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

P0430 Catalyst Effeciency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
got the code twice, so logic dictates both sensors are bad.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear Poster

mine is doing the exact same thing....the code shows up twice everytime, although i believe mine is bank 1

Last edited by Cavy; 09-07-2006 at 03:00 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear Poster

a mechanic at the dealership i work at said it could be the fact that my exhaust isnt stock anymore and it could have somethin to do with the backpressure..by the way my cel shut off on my lunch break today
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcline
P0430 Catalyst Effeciency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
got the code twice, so logic dictates both sensors are bad.
Well it's not flagging Bank 1 so only that 1 sensor seems to be the reason for the code. But the reason for the code isn't necessarily the sensor. If the engine is running perfectly and that code is showing up, it could be that sensor or it could be the cat. When I got that code, it definitely wasn't the sensor.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
a mechanic at the dealership i work at said it could be the fact that my exhaust isnt stock anymore and it could have somethin to do with the backpressure..by the way my cel shut off on my lunch break today
Backpressure and catalyst efficiency are unrelated. If the cat is working right and assuming there aren't any restrictions in the exhaust that there shouldn't be (i.e. broken muffler) then less backpressure isn't going to affect the functionality of the cats.

That code is caused by either the condition of the engine (plugs, wires, cricital sensors), the oxygen sensors, or the cats.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

could hollowed out cats cause that code? Im going to change the wires this weekend, and see what that gets me. I remember my 5.0 doing the same thing, and my wires were bad.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in