overheating issues, please help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Blaze
overheating issues, please help

About 2 weeks ago it was 100 degrees in west TN, and I had my ac on. My red check gauges light came on, so I rolled the windows down and turned the a/c off. The needle on the temp gauge was climbing fast. It finally went as far as it could go and my engine started rattling like a diesel. I recognized the sound of the valves chattering and lifters knocking, but at this time I was only a mile from home. I nursed the car home and of course coolant was boiling out of the resovoir.I replaced the t/stat and changed hoses. The water pump was fine. The engine turned out to be fine too, but my mechanic noticed my cooling fan was not coming on. He tapped the cooling fan module behind the headlight and it came on. He replaced the module and called me and said it was fixed. His shop is only a mile from my home so it did not have a chance to warm up on my trip home. Later that night on my way to work, the temp started rising slightly on the hwy, but as soon as I slowed for city traffic, the red light came on again and I was losing all my coolant again on MCDonalds' parking lot. I take the car back the following monday and the mechanic replaced the cooling fan ( i have had about 5 c/f's over the years). I thought surely it is fixed now. On FRIDAY SEPT 1, it was about 20 degrees cooler outside, and I had my 3 yr old girl w/me. The car started getting hot again! I pooled over at the park to which we were going, and I lost a lot of my coolant boiling out of the resovoir again. I noticed the fan was not running. I turned on the a/c to see if the fan would come on, but it did not. What the hell is wrong here? I'm going crazy. This car has ALWAYS had a cooling problem when driving in the city with the a/c on. I was told last year by the Ford dealership I had a bad temp gauge and the engine was not getting hot. I never replaced the gauge, b/c I did not believe that. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bradley Blaze
I'd Love to Live Life in the Fast Lane, but I'm Married to a Speed Bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 11:45 PM

Well the following things must be working properly for the fan to come on: PCM, constant control relay module, coolant temp sensor, the fan circuit, and the fan motor itself. There is also a fuse in the underhood power distribution box (60A, #5) for the cooling fan. It's hard to say what the problem might be, but here's a quick way to test it out. Unplug the coolant temp sensor and then turn on the engine. You'll get a check engine light but without this sensor input, the PCM turns on the cooling fan as a fail-safe. If it does turn on, then everything in the circuit is working properly and the temp sensor is probably to blame. If it doesn't come on, again try tapping the CCRM (relay box behind the right headlight) and see if the fan comes on. If it doesn't, carefully wiggle the connector to the fan. If it still doesn't come on, check that fuse. If all seems well and it still doesn't come on, either the fan motor is shot or there is problem with the ground. The ground for the fan is also behind the right headlight. Good luck!

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Blaze
where is the coolant temp sensor?
I dont think my check engine light will come on b/c I had Jerry turn it off when I removed my cats.
The fan will come on, just not sure if it stays on
I have repalced the ccrm and the coolin fan
Thanks

Bradley Blaze
I'd Love to Live Life in the Fast Lane, but I'm Married to a Speed Bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:17 AM

The coolant temp sensor is located near the front of the intake manifold. I believe it might be behind the alternator, but I'm not sure as I don't have a 4.6. It will have two wires going to it.

A tune doesn't eliminate the CEL entirely. If he turned off the rear oxygen sensors, then the computer won't set a CEL for those sensors, but it should if there is any other problems. Doesn't it come on the moment you turn on the key?

If the fan comes on but doesn't stay on, it seems like the problem lies in the circuit or the PCM. But with the A/C on the fan should come on no matter what the coolant temperature is when you are at idle. The fact that it doesn't would actually take attention away from the coolant temp sensor. Check the ground for it, and try unplugging the temp sensor and see if the fan comes on and stays on. If it doesn't stay on and everything in the circuit seems fine, the PCM or the tune might be affecting the fan's operation.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in