Driving without keys in ignition - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Blaze
Driving without keys in ignition

I accidently realized I could pull my keys out of the ignition while driving. What do I need to fix this?

Bradley Blaze
I'd Love to Live Life in the Fast Lane, but I'm Married to a Speed Bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 11:49 PM

Eh, I have that same problem. I believe it is common with these cars. There's supposed to be a pin that holds the key in the lock cylinder when it's in any position but OFF but I guess it's just a bad design because it doesn't work very well. My original lock cylinder let the key come out. I got a replacement because the metal thing outside of the steering column trim panel was breaking off. The new lock cylinder came with its own key and it held it in like it was supposed to, but I then got it rekeyed to my original key and after that it was able to come out again.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Ok, so one time I had to pick up my cousin and her friend from a party, and her friend was really drunk. Anyway she's in the back seat talking about all kinds of stuff and singing random songs and other things that drunk people do, and all of a sudden she leans up to me and says in a very slurred voice "Michael, you're drunk, and friends don't let friends drive drunk, so I'm taking your keys" I laughed, said OK, and pulled the keys out of the ignition and threw them in the back seat on her lap and continued driving to my cousin's house. About 5 full minutes later she leans up with the keys and goes "wait a second..." and my cousin and I laughed for a long time at how long it took her to realize what had happened. Anyway that's the first funny story I have about that "problem" with our cars.

Another time shortly after my girlfriend got her first tbird she was speeding down the highway and I was sitting in the passenger seat, and I look over and remembered that my cougar did that, so I said "I wonder" she says "you wonder what?" and I then reached over and pulled the keys out of the ignition. She immediately slammed on the brakes and started screaming "PUT IT BACK! PUT IT BACK!" Apparently she didn't appreciate the usefulness of that feature like I did.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 AM
PostWhore

Have you guys tried another Key?? (IE usually you have two keys that come with a car, or maybe it's just my cars )

But with my '91 with one key i can remove it in any position.. but with the other Key it will not come out unless the ignition `switch' is in the locked/off position..

I Believe it mostly relies on the condition of the Key itself...

Personally i like the removable Key.. I can remove the Key when it's running, lock the door and not to have to worry too much, mind you i usually only do this well moving around cars, if i have to run back in for a second, or just plan letting it warm up in the winter
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 5.0 bird
My old town car did that, but it was only because one of my keys was worn. I still had the originals in good shape and they wouldn't come out. It was fun to mess with people with the worn key, someone would ask for the keys to get in the house and I'd say "OK" and hand them the keys, car still running. Then I would just put it back in and take off.

Matt

1986 Cougar 5.0

1989 Mk VII LSC 5 speed (sold)

1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0 (sold)

Last edited by 5.0 bird; 09-04-2006 at 10:22 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

My 89 Cougar is the same way. The switch/column are slightly jacked up. They didn't say anything about it when I had the recall done for the flaming steering column. I can remove the key also while in RUN or ACC. I can't say that it is the key or the column, my keys have no sharp edges left or sharp ramps, very rounded and worn.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 AM
It is nice

lmao, my 91 cougar did the same thing. I loved it as I could warm my car up in the winter get out with the keys and lock the door (even though I did have a spare key basically would be the same thing but who wants to carry two). Also liked it if someone was riding along and it was already running, and had to run into the house for a sec. Just pull the key and go to the house with car still running and music playing for them lol. Most likely its the key. My key was pretty worn and thats why it did that (original key). My spare key which I never used wouldn't pull out when car was running. I also loved driving the car without keys in. Start up car, remove key and put in pocket, drive to destination and shut off car without key even in and still in pocket lmao.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Carlover007
I hate getting pulled over without keys in the ignition
The cops don't find it as funny as I do.

Current rides: 09 CTS-V (went to dark side) & GSXR-1000

Still miss her: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304264/1
Unknown 4.6L Vortech V1, 42# injectors, 255lph fuel pump, 90MM MAF
3200 Stall DirtyDog TC, 3.73's w/ trac lok, MMX drive shaft
SCP True dual exhaust, J Mod, tranny cooler, 17" Cobra R's,
ADDCO front and rear sway bars, Koni Shocks, Sport Springs & poly bushings
DBRUS Dual Piston Front Calipers w/ 13" Drilled & Slotted pwdr coated rotors
Xenon grfx, Reverse gauges, 97 Console, Dual DVD player,
JL Audio & Pioneer speakers, Hifonics amps, 1 farad Cap, Monster cable, etc.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I had a beater pontiac 6000 with that quote unquote "feature" actually i loved it, came in handy many times
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I've had a few lock cylinders go out, but they just jammed, no pulling the key out. Cool.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Street Freekz

Send a message via MSN to 96_Cougar Send a message via Yahoo to 96_Cougar
My Cougar has the same problem but only b/c one of my original keys is worn; my other original key won't come out of the ignition in RUN or ACC.

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Veteran Poster

haha this makes me wonder if my car does it
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcorby
I had a beater pontiac 6000 with that quote unquote "feature" actually i loved it, came in handy many times
Sounds like my old Cavi . . . I could even start that thing without the keys if you turned it just right

*while car is running*
"Hey man, open your trunk"
*take keys out of ignition without shutting car off*
"Here ya go."

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wolrah
My Crown Vic does the same thing. One key can come out at any time, the other doesn't come out except when it's supposed to. I often miss that "feature" when driving the T-Bird. It was nice to be able to leave the car idling on a cold day but still lock all the doors.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 PM
4th Gear Poster

I just use the keyless entry on the side of the door, lol, but I will have to check to see if I can remove the keys while running.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
My oldsmobile did the same thing. If the wheel was straight, you could just turn it on without the key, it was pretty fun, and useful.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in