MAF Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Question MAF Question

Hey guy's, I've got a question for ya'll. IS the 4.6l maf the same as a 3.8 maf? I went to buy a new one and was told that the 3.8 and 4.6 are the same and will work properly on my car. Anyone got any info on this. Also I have some major stuttering going on when I accelerate what are some common reasons for this on a 130k mile car?

Thanks for all your help in advance,
Randy B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Poster

I don't know if the 3.8 and 4.6 maf is the same. The cause of your stuttering is probly a bad MAF or something related to that. I doubt it's a bad transmission. The tranny might shift rough at 130,000 but if it's stuttering it's probly not the tranny unless you have been driving it very rough.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:55 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBird101
I don't know if the 3.8 and 4.6 maf is the same. The cause of your stuttering is probly a bad MAF or something related to that. I doubt it's a bad transmission. The tranny might shift rough at 130,000 but if it's stuttering it's probly not the tranny unless you have been driving it very rough.
Have you had much experiance with the 4r70w Bigbird? The tranni is prone to Torque converter shuddering. My suggestion would be to drain the tranni fluid (dont forget the converter) and go with Merkon 5.

1998 Toyota Supra

with fresh rebuilt T12b x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:20 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Robinson
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBird101
well, good input and thank you for the advice, but its probably not the MAF. the stuttering is more likely to be a shuddering torque converter, like MadDog said, than a bad or dirty MAF. a bad or dirty MAF would give you horrible throttle response and possibly slow acceleration. it would make the car just drive rough around town. hes talking about all out acceleration, in which case the ECU is closed loop anyway.

when was the last time you drained your torque converter?

www.innerlusion.com
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
89 SC 5 speed

FCoNE President
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Cool

hey guy's tks for all the help. I went and cleaned the MAF, the K&N and then replaced my spark plug wires (because they were msd 8.5's with about 60-70k on them) and then pulled the positive battery cable to reset the comp. Now it works fine (actually better than ever). Though one thing wierd was then when iIwent and had a diag. done at auto zone it said that my purge vaulve was bad ( I idn't even know I had one much less where it was) but when I reset my comp the light went off has not come back on yet ( and that was over 300 miles ago). Thanks again for all the help

Randy B.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in