Running bad, O2 sensors? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned, duplicate account

Running bad, O2 sensors?

my car has been running great all until about a week ago...
i started the car one day and it began to idle hard and run poorly when pressing on the throttle, it would kind of clear up on WOT but right back to running rough as soon as i let off the pedal. when the car gets to operating temperature it clears up alot of it but i can still feel the problem.
A few different people have said it is more likely an O2 sensor gone bad so ill try that first, but how do i know which one it is? i realize i should replace them all but that will need to wait a month or so. the computer isnt throwing any codes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
keep in mind that oxygen sensors are expensive to just be throwing them randomly at the car to try to fix a problem.....dont get me wrong, it wont hurt to get new upstream O2 sensors (the ones after the cats do not affect how the car runs at all)

first try cleaning the MAF and check/replace your spark plugs/wires as necessary......regular maintenance is key here, to isolating your problem
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

the MAF is cleaned regularly, the plugs and wires and all new, not even 6 months old. the fuel filter has been changed recently as well, the air filter is also new. its been maintained pretty well....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
Is it making any noises? A bad IAC (Idle Air Control) valve will sometimes give a high pitched whining noise when it is going out. If this is the case then you can test it by taking this procedure:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...r_IAC_Fix.html

The voltages in this artcle may not be applicable to your vehicle, but I will look to see what the correct voltages are when I get home in a little bit.

The other think to check is the TPS. Has anything been done to the intake/throttle body lately? (http://www.blueovalchips.com/tech/th...tleposadj.php). One of my T-birds just wouldn't run right until I got the voltage down to 1.0 V. . . . .The previous owner had been "playing" around with things when I bought it and he wasn't very good at "playing"

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

hmmm thats another symptom... yeah it was making a loud "whining noise" then one day it stopped, now this.....
you can smell a raw unburnt fuel stench and see large puffs of smoke when pressing hard on the throttle.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 AM

I wouldn't be thinking about the oxygen sensors causing the problem, especially if it runs crappy right at start-up AND when it's cold. The 02's aren't used during start-up and open loop, which is the mode in which the car runs for the first few minutes of operation. If you've got everything pretty good (plugs, wires, filters, etc.), then I would say the likely problem is your MAF. Just because it is clean doesn't mean it's working properly anymore, and the problems you described go hand-in-hand with a malfunctioning MAF.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:44 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLyfe83
hmmm thats another symptom... yeah it was making a loud "whining noise" then one day it stopped, now this.....
you can smell a raw unburnt fuel stench and see large puffs of smoke when pressing hard on the throttle.
I think that the whining could be the IAC. I will look up the voltages, just give me a bit. The smell of unburnt fuel means that it is running rich and the running rich can cause it to run as described. Is the smoke that you are seeing white or black?

white=oil
black=unburnt fuel

1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 AM
6th Gear Poster

All voltages/resistance readings are as posted in the article for the motor listed in your profile. Hope this solves the problem. Let us know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in