Oil Filter relocation kit - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94tbird46
Oil Filter relocation kit

Im looking for as much advice as possible for an oil filter relocation kit. I was looking at the kits on summits site as a start but im not wure where i could mount the new filter. Any help or pics would really help alot. Thanks, John

1994 Thunderbird Lx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:44 PM
The Parts Guy

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=oil+filter

Run a search and you'll find MANY more threads on the topic.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:56 PM

awww comon. The filter aint that hard to get off. Try a VW or a Crown Vic or Expedition. When you change oil for a living you get used to the birds and mustangs. Id do an oil change on a bird aa million times before touching a VW. Especially the new V6 Jettas.

1995 pearl white LX 4.6L bird
SOLD to good home
Assorted parts for sale email [email protected]

www.racingsyndicate.net Check it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94tbird46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorBirdman
awww comon. The filter aint that hard to get off. Try a VW or a Crown Vic or Expedition. When you change oil for a living you get used to the birds and mustangs. Id do an oil change on a bird aa million times before touching a VW. Especially the new V6 Jettas.
i work in a garage too but when you dont always have access to a lift having a better filter location makes a lot more sense.

1994 Thunderbird Lx
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
I have to agree. I have NO problem getting the filter off of my T-Bird. Sure, it's not as easy as getting one off a 3.8 on a buick (Yes, it's in PLAIN site DIRECTLY beside the oil pan bolt, and you can fit your whole hand around it on a 2000 Park Avenue).

But, I just go up and through a certain spot. I'd have to show it in a picture or something. And, then I bring the other back through there. After putting the adapter plate gasket on, I'm not messing with that area of the car UNLESS I'm changing the oil.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 PM
The Parts Guy

True, it really isn't THAT bad to swap oil filters, but no matter what you do, you'll spill some oil during the process. That fact, and the fact that I could run a larger filter by relocating it, was enough for me to move the oil filter to the driverside fender in my XR7.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 11:02 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
I bought the relocation kit and i hated it. Honestly it took longer to change that filter then it did with it on the motor plus it was cheap quality. I can get the filter off in about one minute these days so if you practice enough it gets very easy.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

yea first time was intimidating, when you have to LOOK for it you know your in for some fun. the more you do it the faster you get at it moving your arms in positions you never thought were humanly possible.

-Mike
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
CV's you just turn the wheels all the way to the left. The 4link steering moves the pitman arm and stuff out of the way so its easy to take out.

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 06:01 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop2oo2
yea first time was intimidating, when you have to LOOK for it you know your in for some fun.
Isn't that the truth. I happened to have seen where it was in a 4.6 in a crown vic of my uncle's when we had it apart putting new headgaskets on. I was like "WTF is the filter doing THERE?"

That was before I knew I was going to get a Thunderbird. Even though I KINDA knew where it was, I still had to look.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Crown Vic is simple. T-Bird is ten times as hard.

http://images19.fotki.com/v358/photo...Tbird01-vi.jpg
1994 White (WT) TBird - 4.6 L SOHC with 4R70W

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
-Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
-His reply

Rehab progress link
Today's Progress
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Save the Panther

Heres another thread for you discussing a cheap kit with 30" crimped neoprene hoses instead of rubber and hose clamps...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ghlight=filter

The kit is made by Trans-Dapt. $42.99 at Northern Auto Parts.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ctModelId=9480

Actually I just checked and it looks like the same kit Summit sells for $42.95

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Not sure if thats the same kit you were looking at on Summits site or not...

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society

Last edited by Southpaw; 11-11-2006 at 04:30 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:28 PM
6th Gear Poster

I use a Cobra oil cooler (water/oil heat exchanger) on my 96 - the type that mounts to the block and I still manage to get my oil filter off without much of a problem. Not fun though... A lot of oil spills on the K-frame, so I have to use some spray solvent to clean the mess.

Mitch
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Save the Panther

Agreed it's not terribly hard to get it on and off, just terribly messy.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 AM
6th Gear Poster

Well, here's my $.02.
I put my filter relocate in about 4yrs ago now, and used Perma-Cool parts to make my own kit. I decided to use rubber hose and clamps to save $$$. Well, I did saveht e money, but a few weeks ago I started noticing oil on the ground under the car. The hoses stiffened up after time, and started leaking.
I replaced the hoses with stainless braided hose and AN fittings. Works fine, and looks better... Now, the cost is greater but I'd still say that if you're gonna move it, do it right the 1st time.
I put my filter under the front bumper, cutting some of the lower shrouding. I can replace the filter with all four wheels on the ground.

Peter M

SOLD 1996 4.6l Thunderbird-(fast) PI intake, custom exhaust, Bullet-Resistant Tranny™, blah, blah, blah
2007 VW GTI-(faster) United Grey, 18" wheels, APR stage 1 chip, and... uh... that's it for now.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
It seems to me that all of yall are 3.8l and 4.6l owners. Try it on a 5.0l. It is a pain in the arse. Not just a little oil gets spilled. It is a freakin mess. That is why I am going to put one on my car.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Save the Panther

^^^ judging from your description I'd say it isn't any less messy doing it on my 4.6L. You've got to dump the filter during the gymnastics of routing it out of it's cubby hole.

The couple of times I've done it I flip the filter around and try and plug the whole as much as possible by sticking my finger deep in it, then work it out as quick as possible. lol

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:56 AM
PostWhore

They are all a pita to do. Owning a both types of V8s there's really no difference. The 5.0 you have three places oil will come out and make a mess. Actually the back drain plug drains clear where as the front will splash up against the lines directly in front of it and splash everywhere. So there's two potential messes. Add in a Mark 8 and it is a little more frustrating. I just put a pan under the cars and dump the oil out onto the K member since you have to flip it around any ways to get it out. Then use some simple green after I'm done and hose it off.

www.blueovalchips.com
[email protected]
1992 5.0 Thunderbird Sport, 328 rwhp 347 rwtq
1995 Mark VIII, 287 rwhp 305 rwtq

I have seen the truth and it makes no sense
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The Mark VIII makes it even worse? I don't have a problem with the front drain plug. Just the filter. I like to keep my painted garage floor clean. I don't like to mop. My K member seems to hold oil no matter what I do. I've even gotten some plastic from work and made a funnel type thing to catch the oil. It is even more of a pain.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

oohhhhhhhhhhh man, I hate changing tbird oil filters. I went to do the oil change for the first time and spent about 30 minutes looking for it before I found the thing, going back and forth under the car, out the other side, looking for it from above, looking for it from below, and after 30 mins I finally found it lol

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I use a small piece of oil absorbant pad and make sure I keep the filter open end up as much as possible.

http://images19.fotki.com/v358/photo...Tbird01-vi.jpg
1994 White (WT) TBird - 4.6 L SOHC with 4R70W

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
-Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
-His reply

Rehab progress link
Today's Progress
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I geuss I could do that. Or, I can just relocate the darn thing. Hmmmmm..... I'll relocate it.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear Poster

just changed the filter on my 4.6 bird today, and on my mark viii and girlfriend's 3.8 bird yesterday. the mark viii was the hardest of course due to the lack of room which makes EVERYTHING hard to change in that car.

tried for about 5 minutes to get my oil filter wrench around the filter, then gave up and did it the fun way, stabbed it with a screwdriver! the mess wasn't all that bad, can be cleaned up with some degreaser and a pressure sprayer, i really don't see the need to relocate the filter though.

the mark though, that's a different story... putting that filter back in without denting it was NOT easy!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
There is a factory relocator kit for the modular engines. Some of the 97-03 ford f-150s and expeditions have them. The filter is relocated to right behind the bumper. The lower coolant manifold/oil filter base plate is changed to a different manifold that has no filter mounting spindle. Instead there is a inlet and outlet for the oil lines. The base plate uses the factory 820 filter.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in