rough start - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

rough start

when it first started it was only after the car sat for a long time but now its almost everytime it is gettin colder here now if that has anything to do with it but it makes this wierd clanking like lifters tappin or something any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 05:56 AM
4th Gear Poster

When does it make that noise? If you are talking about DIRECTLY after the engine starts, that's the oil coming up to the top of the engine. Not the greatest design/sound, but it has to happen. Too thick of oil will cause your chain to wear out fast/cause other premature damage. I use 10w-30, although I should probably be using 5w-30. Now that this cold weather is coming on, I will probably use 5w-30 for sure the next time I change my oil.

On my 4.6, when I crank it in the morning, or after it hasn't been running for 2 or 3 hours, I have to hold the starter over for around 4 seconds before it cranks. Now, if I'm cranking it up after 10 minutes or so of being running, it will crank up instantly. Anyone know what that could be? Weak fuel pump? Clogged fuel filiter? I didn't have the special tool to take the fuel filter off, but I have a new one sitting here.

BTW, speaking of special tools. I hate changing the brakes. TWO different caliper bolts? WTF?!?! The star bit one was already stripped out when I went to take it out, so I had to fit a pipewrench around the outside of it (worked perfect). THEN I had to use a 3/8" socket (which, thank god, worked perfectly, too) on the top caliper bolt that requires a tool that I haven't seen. Well, it didn't LOOK like a normal hex head to me. I dunno, it was dark, but the 3/8" fit. Ok, enough rambling about brakes.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:11 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanV8
When does it make that noise? If you are talking about DIRECTLY after the engine starts, that's the oil coming up to the top of the engine. Not the greatest design/sound, but it has to happen. Too thick of oil will cause your chain to wear out fast/cause other premature damage. I use 10w-30, although I should probably be using 5w-30. Now that this cold weather is coming on, I will probably use 5w-30 for sure the next time I change my oil.

On my 4.6, when I crank it in the morning, or after it hasn't been running for 2 or 3 hours, I have to hold the starter over for around 4 seconds before it cranks. Now, if I'm cranking it up after 10 minutes or so of being running, it will crank up instantly. Anyone know what that could be? Weak fuel pump? Clogged fuel filiter? I didn't have the special tool to take the fuel filter off, but I have a new one sitting here.

BTW, speaking of special tools. I hate changing the brakes. TWO different caliper bolts? WTF?!?! The star bit one was already stripped out when I went to take it out, so I had to fit a pipewrench around the outside of it (worked perfect). THEN I had to use a 3/8" socket (which, thank god, worked perfectly, too) on the top caliper bolt that requires a tool that I haven't seen. Well, it didn't LOOK like a normal hex head to me. I dunno, it was dark, but the 3/8" fit. Ok, enough rambling about brakes.
The bolts can be replaced by buying a "brake hardware kit" for the front brakes. The internal star head bolt is a T-50 if I remember corectly and I am not sure what size the external star bolt is. They sell a special set of sockets for brakes. If I remeber I paid $15-$20 for this set of sockets. It has been well worth it since everyone and their dog seems to ask me to "help" them change the brakes on their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan
when it first started it was only after the car sat for a long time but now its almost everytime it is gettin colder here now if that has anything to do with it but it makes this wierd clanking like lifters tappin or something any ideas?
This definately sounds like an oiling issue. In colder weather make sure that 5w oil is used and not 10w. This can also be more pronounced if parking on a hill and/or a low oil level so the pick up is not "constant" when the engine first fires/turns over. Check the oil level and see if you maybe a quart or more low on oil!

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in