not so good discovery - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

not so good discovery

i havent been driving the bird as of late becuase of an elusive misfire... however when i finally got around to pulling it apart, i found an inch of standing coolant in the number 1 spark plug passage for the number 1 cylinder... ive already replaced the intake once for cracking along the seam behind the alternator..... however anyways today im going to attempt to find the source of this mysterious coolant leak.... my hunch is that its the intake gasket around the number 1 cylinder that went, alllowing coolant to leak into the number 1 spark plug passage..... i just wish that i lived closer to my school so that i can use their WDS diagnostic machine so that i can do a power balance test and see exactly WTF is going on.... ideas you guys? ill be in the garage... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
it could be that the intake manifold was not torqued down correctly......proper torque spec is 15-20 ft-lbs......there is a specific pattern that you can find by doing a quick search here or on modular depot in the resources section

so let out some coolant from the radiator, loosen all intake manifold bolts, then properly torque them down, then refill the reservoir with the proper coolant/distilled-water mixture.....and go from there
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well..

im pretty sure that i did the torque sequence correctly... i remember doing it and doing it right... the fact that it held up toghether for so long... something like 5 years ago i did it... almost 100K miles ago too... soo hmmm lemme see... i took a look at it, and i went to go and have it scanned, and the main culprit is exactly what i thought a p0301 cylinder 1 misfire, but i knew that already... there is an evap and iac code in there too, but i already know why those are there and what theyre about... somehow theres coolant getting into the spark plug passage... and i dont want to tear the upper intake off just to figure out something else... like a small crack in the head just enough to let coolant into the spark plug passage above the threads... i freakin hate being ghetto, but until this new job goes though i have to drive the bird like this so i can get my hands on a winter beater so my bird can finally have her rest until she can undergo surgery and be reborn a 12 sec n/a Navi powered mod motored missle...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in