Mark VIII Redline? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
Mark VIII Redline?

What is the redline on a 94 Mark VIII, sounds like a dumb question but I have the motor, its in my car, and my car runs like a raped ape. But I had her in drive, and the Tach kept going. I know the redline is higher, but how high is it? When should I expect the shift to come? When will I hit the rev limiter? There is still a rev limiter right? I really need to do something with gears pronto...50 MPH in first gear is ridiculous.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:11 AM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Mark Limiter....

The first time I hit mine was about 5250 I believe.Well,in around there.Once I got the chip for it would shift around 6000.50 mph in first sounds kinda high but is possible,how does the engine sound at that RPM?32 valves rev for ever,that is actually where the pwer comes in,at a high RPM.Dennis could answer that one correctly though,mine is just a guess from what I have experienced.
Chris
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:34 AM
Mushroom Stamp Layer

You need to bring that beast over dude!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 07:21 AM
4th Gear Poster

My MK VIII shifts at about 6K in drive at WOT so I'd imagine actual redline from the factory to be about 6200 rpm maybe 6500 rpm tops.

Just passing through
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Weird man, I have gotten a lot of different answeres on this. Someone told me 6500 shift and 6800 limiter, so I went out and took it to 6500 and it shifted at 6500. Not gonna try the limiter because I have been getting told that there isn't any power up there any more and I don't want to abuse it that much. This motor is problaby the first time that when I shift I do it before the car would have done it itself.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 04:17 PM
4th Gear Poster

That's weird. The redline on the in dash tach is painted red at 6K but the needle usually goes a little over that when you let the car shift itself in drive under WOT. You know about how accurate factory tachs are though I had been told by a Ford tech that it was set for 6200 rpm shifts from the factory. I don't doubt the motor will spin over 6500 rpm but like you were told, the factory motor makes no more power up there.

Factory power specs were [email protected] for the base MK VIII and [email protected] for the LSC. Torque was [email protected] base, [email protected] LSC.

Just passing through
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

The numbers for the LSC's are in the overall section of the tech articles, I had to go search for the non-LSC numbers, I knew the numbers but had to find what RPM they occured at, pretty close to what I found, the thing I read said 5500 for peak power. Any one know where I could see an actual curve for power and torque on a slightly modded non-LSC Mark? Just kind of curious, slightly modded or stock since I have exhaust, colder plugs and the FRPP wires, just kind of wondering how high it is actually advantageous to rev the motor to in a racing situation, balance of the power falling off at higher RPM and where the RPM falls back to after the shift.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 07:57 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Dennis will know....

Call Dennis and ask him.His Mark is slightly modified(lol,a Vortech isnt slightly modified) and I am sure he will know the red line,when it supposed to shift and how high you can rev it before you have to shift.
Chris
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:28 PM
4th Gear Poster

Yup, Dennis would know. He might be able to come up with a DynoJet sheet for the torque curve etc for a MK VIII as well.

Just passing through

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in