Starting Problems, No A/T shift....just bad ECU??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Starting Problems, No A/T shift....just bad ECU???

Well I have gone through a lot with this car. Some may have read some past posts both here and in drivetrain about my chain of problems. I know I am so close, but sometimes I just wish I didnt blow $6K on a FORD. I will try not to go into to much depth, but basicially the story goes:

New PI engine at 110K
new T/C at 111K
Intermittent starting problem/short starts at 115K
Blueovalchip xcal2 at about 124K
new trans and T/C @ current, 127K due to long, delayed, harsh harsh harsh OD upshifts and slipping after tune

Now, I have a car with a great engine, a pro-built (Darrin) 4R70W that is stuck in 2nd gear, and an intermittent start problem. $6K later.....

The transmission has been diagnosed as being in perfect and shifting condition when shifted manually. I have troubleshooted the shifting problem to the ECU, because: When the trans wiring is unplugged, I get the same symptoms as I do when it is plugged in, stuck in 2nd with no intent to shift. And NO Check engine or flashing overdrive light.

The intermittent start problem:
VERY RANDOM. 4 months, the car starts up fine, but one day, turn key, ALL vehicle power gone just one click and every single electronic device is DEAD, even the lights on the bottom of the door, clock, everything. could happen 5 times in a day, or 5 times in a month. I have even got smoke coming from the battery before. Unplug battery ground, reconnect, it will fire up fine about 95% of the time. But the other 5% of the time It might take like 4 reconnects of the battery before the starter will spin.

The battery has been tested good. It is not being drained, the power is there. Something is just shorting out. Engine grounds are connected, tight. I have tried wiggling the crank sensor wiring, the battery ground to the starter wiring, everything, it is the weirdest, randomest short I have seen.

ECUCould the ECU be the cause of BOTH problems? I have an ECU on the way, but I dont want to short out the second ECU with a short in wiring somewhere.

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 04:20 AM

I don't know about the smoke from the battery, but have you considered the ignition switch?

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Poster

Loose connection to the starter or grounding wire from the positive lead to the body?- Might even be a bad battery cable-just sounds like things get better when you move the battery cables from what you described .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Actually, my ignition cylinder went bad on me, that was when I decided to put the new trans in. The ignition would go 360 degrees and do nothing. I could start the car with the switch under the wheel, but I could not shift the trans out of park because the cylinder was bad. So now that I have the ECU in, and it hasnt shorted yet, but the trans will still not shift at all. The battery has been tested good but maybe I will just replace to see if that is what is shorting.

thanks for any help possible,
Sean

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod

Last edited by 96_LX; 10-06-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in