Starting Problems, No A/T shift....just bad ECU???
Well I have gone through a lot with this car. Some may have read some past posts both here and in drivetrain about my chain of problems. I know I am so close, but sometimes I just wish I didnt blow $6K on a FORD. I will try not to go into to much depth, but basicially the story goes:
New PI engine at 110K
new T/C at 111K
Intermittent starting problem/short starts at 115K
Blueovalchip xcal2 at about 124K
new trans and T/C @ current, 127K due to long, delayed, harsh harsh harsh OD upshifts and slipping after tune
Now, I have a car with a great engine, a pro-built (Darrin) 4R70W that is stuck in 2nd gear, and an intermittent start problem. $6K later.....
The transmission has been diagnosed as being in perfect and shifting condition when shifted manually. I have troubleshooted the shifting problem to the ECU, because: When the trans wiring is unplugged, I get the same symptoms as I do when it is plugged in, stuck in 2nd with no intent to shift. And NO Check engine or flashing overdrive light.
The intermittent start problem:
VERY RANDOM. 4 months, the car starts up fine, but one day, turn key, ALL vehicle power gone just one click and every single electronic device is DEAD, even the lights on the bottom of the door, clock, everything. could happen 5 times in a day, or 5 times in a month. I have even got smoke coming from the battery before. Unplug battery ground, reconnect, it will fire up fine about 95% of the time. But the other 5% of the time It might take like 4 reconnects of the battery before the starter will spin.
The battery has been tested good. It is not being drained, the power is there. Something is just shorting out. Engine grounds are connected, tight. I have tried wiggling the crank sensor wiring, the battery ground to the starter wiring, everything, it is the weirdest, randomest short I have seen.
ECUCould the ECU be the cause of BOTH problems? I have an ECU on the way, but I dont want to short out the second ECU with a short in wiring somewhere.
All Glory to God!
RIP JOHNNY LANGTON
96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod