A few questions on swapping - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
5oh Transformer

Send a message via AIM to ZeroRain
A few questions on swapping

Alright. i may have a chance to get a 4.6 95 cat and i was wondering what has to be done in swapping the motor over to my 96 3.8 bird? from what i gather some wiring has to be changed but how much? is it a worth while swap?

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX EFI Swapped 311 5spd "TT 5oh project"
1998 Ford Taurus SE 24v Duratec auto "DD"
1966 Ford Galaxy 500 352 Cruise-O-Matic "Restoration Car"

We don't just dream about fast toys, we build them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 PM

You basically need to rewire the whole car, not to mention change the suspension, transmission and rear end to support the different engine. Could be worthwhile but very time-consuming. It all depends on what your goal is and what you're willing to invest (time/money-wise).

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
5oh Transformer

would need that much rewiring? could the harnesses be spliced together so to say? and stop myself from having to behind the dash and rip wires out? i know the suspension work and all is a cake walk but its the wiring that scares me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 PM

As I have it done it myself, I can't say for sure. But I know for sure pretty much all the wiring in the engine compartment has to go and the wiring that goes from the ECM to the junction connector in the engine compartment has to be changed. I don't know the specific about behind the dash or to the trans, but someone else who has the experience might be able to help more.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
5oh Transformer

yea?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Poster

You know, for all the blood,sweet, and tears you are about to endure,,,,,,wouldn't it be easier to just find a cheap use long block of the same size and swap it out? I mean, the ECU needs the right O2 sensors(besides a dozen other sensors) plugged in to make this engine run right. You could always build up a powerfull smaller engine with a few mods and have a wieght savings over the 4.6(my Probe GT would do easy 1/4 runs under 11.5 sec with some lower end work/heads/twin turbos---all on 2.5 liters) . Im no expert, but as mentioned above, you would probably need a complete engine wiring harness swapped along with the computer.....but if you do this your way, let us know how it turns out--
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
5oh Transformer

its turning out that im still going right back to the 5.0 carbed. my main prob is that i dont have the300-400 to get a head job and get the block cleaned

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to kraken2026 Send a message via Yahoo to kraken2026
I don't know if you have a ton of money / mods tied up in the 3.8 car but as cheap as you can pick these cars up now a days I personaly would just go out and buy a halfway decent 4.6 model and transfeer over any custom mods from the 3.8 to it. I only paid about $300 for mine and all I had to do was switch the trans out. I'd never worked on these cars before that and it took me like 3 weekends to do it and that was only because I ended up spending 3 of the 6 days screwing around drilling out the exhaust manifold studs. I only snaped one but they were so rusted that I just did all 4 and put a nut and bold setup in there instead so I'd never have to worrie about it again. I figure it this way if they rust up again who cares they are just nuts and bolts I can just cut them off and but new ones for like $5 and save myself the hassle. If I had to do the trans again I could probably do it in one weekend now that I know how it all comes apart and goes back together.

-94 T-bird 4.6L SOHC "Driver"
Full Pioneer sound system, 3rd muffler delete, PBR front Calipers, Rear disc conversion, Strut Tower Brace, Marauder Torque converter, True CAI & Silencer removal w K&N.
Planned upgrades: SC trac-loc pumpkin, Magnaflow SS mufflers & SS resonator tips, SC ground effects.

-93 Eddie Bauer Bronco
5.0L, E4OD, FatBob 2" Suspension lift, K&N CA, 2-1/2" flowmaster exhaust, sixliter ignition, 96 EB interior, Alcoa rims with 33's.

-92 Firebird 5.0 TBI, 4L60 "Project"
Accel / Holly Annihilator ignition, Dynomax cat back, adj. panhard Bar & T/A Sways, Formula 17x8 Rims, LT1 4L60 conversion, rear disc w posi conversion.

What can I say, birds of a feather flock together
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
5oh Transformer

yea but i cant find deals like that lately. and th eines i do find i dont have the cash

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRain
yea but i cant find deals like that lately. and th eines i do find i dont have the cash
Yea I know how that goes. My t-bird sat for 6months before I got the cast to do the trans.

Full Pioneer sound system, 3rd muffler delete, PBR front Calipers, Rear disc conversion, Strut Tower Brace, Marauder Torque converter, True CAI & Silencer removal w K&N.
Planned upgrades: SC trac-loc pumpkin, Magnaflow SS mufflers & SS resonator tips, SC ground effects.

-93 Eddie Bauer Bronco
5.0L, E4OD, FatBob 2" Suspension lift, K&N CA, 2-1/2" flowmaster exhaust, sixliter ignition, 96 EB interior, Alcoa rims with 33's.

Accel / Holly Annihilator ignition, Dynomax cat back, adj. panhard Bar & T/A Sways, Formula 17x8 Rims, LT1 4L60 conversion, rear disc w posi conversion.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

cash I mean.. man neither of us can type lol

-93 Eddie Bauer Bronco

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRain
its turning out that im still going right back to the 5.0 carbed. my main prob is that i dont have the300-400 to get a head job and get the block cleaned
If you cant afford 300-400 i wouldn't recommend starting a project like this. You really have to have the cash to do it all at once so you dont have a car just sitting there half done. Besides 300-400 wont get you any further then a standard head cleanup on a 4.6l engine. The toleranceing is alot more prescie then the 5.0l of the 3.8l. In addition skip the carb job its 2006 and not 1976. The carb will be an easy swap but it has alot less potential and in the end it wont be worth it in terms of fuel econmy. Just something to think about though.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Tbirder
You know, for all the blood,sweet, and tears you are about to endure,,,,,,wouldn't it be easier to just find a cheap use long block of the same size and swap it out? I mean, the ECU needs the right O2 sensors(besides a dozen other sensors) plugged in to make this engine run right. You could always build up a powerfull smaller engine with a few mods and have a wieght savings over the 4.6(my Probe GT would do easy 1/4 runs under 11.5 sec with some lower end work/heads/twin turbos---all on 2.5 liters) . Im no expert, but as mentioned above, you would probably need a complete engine wiring harness swapped along with the computer.....but if you do this your way, let us know how it turns out--
No offense but... what!?. Twin turbos come on thats not exaclty a standard mod plus heads, your still talking serious money there. A twin turbo kit has to be like 3-4K plus the head work and to get it tuned that is at least another 1K. So in the end your suggesting almost the same cost as a built 4.6l longblock. Plus the 4.6l dohc weights the same as my 2.3l ranger engine approximately 525lbs i believe.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in