Need help; Strange Noise and A/C died; I'm confused - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Need help; Strange Noise and A/C died; I'm confused

This one has thoroughly confused me, and I don't know what to diagnose here.

I was on my way back home from Miami to Orlando yesterday (about 3.5 hour trip), and at about the 1.5 hour mark, I notice the A/C is no longer cooling properly. I turned the A/C off and on a few times, jiggled the temperature a few times, but to no avail; the A/C officially crapped out...........since it was still kinda hot, I left the A/C running as was for another hour or so, since it was still blowing mild air, and my power windows don't work. I heard NO strange noises at all......everything seemed fine.

When I get off the Turnpike to pay my toll, I hear a horrific constant wheezing noise from the engine; it's loud, and crazy, and I don't know what it is. Fearing the worst, I turn off the A/C, but the noise continues. I stop at the first gas station, turn off the car and pop the hood to see if I see anything strange; I see nothing. All my gauges indicate proper levels of everything, and the car was running fine. I turn the car back on, and the noise continues, but I have no choice but to continue home, which is still an hour away.

For the full hour, there are essentially NO traffic lights; the car ran perfectly fine, and I decided to turn the VENT on rather than the A/C. AFter about a good 30-35 min., I finally hit my first red light, and I notice the sound is gone. No strange noises for the remaining 30 or so miles, so I'm thinking it's obviously something A/C related (i.e. compressor, pulley, a/c clutch, etc.).

However, this morning, I turn it on, and that God awful noise is back........It sounds like it's coming from the A/C compressor area, but I'm confused.........if the A/C is off, why would it continue to make noises like that...........and furthermore, why would it have eventually stopped last night after driving for 30 minutes........

I'M SO CONFUSED..................HELP!!!!

THX,
jc

'06 Black Trailblazer SS; '13 Grey GLI

Gone but not forgotten:
'03 Black Mach 1 A4 (13.7 @ 104); '03 Torch Red Mach 1 M5 (13.4 @ 106), '01 White SVT Lightning (13.4 @ 103), '78 Silver Z28, 2 Mark VIII's, 3 T-Birds, '98 Black SVT Contour #4115
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 04:57 PM
PostWhore

It sounds like your AC clutch has died, common problem on these cars. Look for the 3? rubber rings on the front of the clutch and see if they are still there. Mine was so bad I had to bypass the AC as the pulley was bouncing all over the place.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmckinney
It sounds like your AC clutch has died, common problem on these cars. Look for the 3? rubber rings on the front of the clutch and see if they are still there. Mine was so bad I had to bypass the AC as the pulley was bouncing all over the place.
2 questions...........
First, if I were to bypass the A/C, do I need a shorter belt?
Second, can I replace the A/C clutch without having to replace the compressor? If so, how much am I looking at..........?

So much for thinking I can afford to do my complete exhaust now.............UGH!!!!!!

JC

'06 Black Trailblazer SS; '13 Grey GLI

Gone but not forgotten:
'03 Black Mach 1 A4 (13.7 @ 104); '03 Torch Red Mach 1 M5 (13.4 @ 106), '01 White SVT Lightning (13.4 @ 103), '78 Silver Z28, 2 Mark VIII's, 3 T-Birds, '98 Black SVT Contour #4115
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 03:43 PM
PostWhore

Yes - I still have my shorter belt somewhere around here........

Yes but it is a royal PITA as there is little space to work

Cost - up to your skills. I got a new Ford compressor with new clutch off Ebay for $100 shipped and installed it myself with some good coaching, YMMV

Since you are in Orlando I can take a look at it for a pulled pork combo on garlic bread from Bubbalous with sweet sauce, mac & cheese, beans - and a diet coke.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Since you are in Orlando I can take a look at it for a pulled pork combo on garlic bread from Bubbalous with sweet sauce, mac & cheese, beans - and a diet coke.
i have nothing to contribute to this thread other than, damn that sure sounds good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in