A few 4.6 issues (noises and oil psi) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Warlockguitarman Send a message via Yahoo to Warlockguitarman
A few 4.6 issues (noises and oil psi)

i have an after market oil psi gauge and when i go above 3 grand my stock dummy one drops down in the red but my aftermarket one is between 60 and 95 depending on hot or cold motor, why does this do this?

also ever since i broke my stock harmonic balancer and tensioner pullie from the belt slipping off (after installing a used working altenator) ive had an annoying and a lil bit nasty rattle sound at the high rpms, but when that stuff broke i installed underdrive pullies and a brand new tensioner.

please give some suggestions i need to fix these before it starts to get cold.

96 pearl white 4.6 tbird: rebuilt npi block with pi heads, pi intake, crower stage 2 cams, shm high lift springs, L-MAF, 3.73's, marauder converter, jmod, kooks headers, xpipe, no cats, 2.5 in exhaust, no mufflers, a dyno tune, lots of interior work, 1 in drop with lots of new bushings, 18 in rims. 279 hp 319 tq. curently running 13.9 at 101 mph with a 2.1 60 time in 100 degree weather while having some nasty spark knock. Soon to have higher stall, aftermarket intake manifold, weight reduction, and hopefully a nice shot of the giggle gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
I am assuming that the aftermarket oil gauge is running from a separate sending unit/tap than the stock. This sounds like the OEM oil sender is bad. Make sure the oil level is correct and that the aftermarket gauge is at 0 when the car is off (with the key on if it is electric).

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Warlockguitarman Send a message via Yahoo to Warlockguitarman
well it is coming out right next to the stock one and it reads 0 when off and i think it is mechanical, and oil level is good, i guess your right about the stock one going bad, so im assuming not a bad problem mjust a nusience that will bug me till i replace it. but that rattle is more allarming to me.

96 pearl white 4.6 tbird: rebuilt npi block with pi heads, pi intake, crower stage 2 cams, shm high lift springs, L-MAF, 3.73's, marauder converter, jmod, kooks headers, xpipe, no cats, 2.5 in exhaust, no mufflers, a dyno tune, lots of interior work, 1 in drop with lots of new bushings, 18 in rims. 279 hp 319 tq. curently running 13.9 at 101 mph with a 2.1 60 time in 100 degree weather while having some nasty spark knock. Soon to have higher stall, aftermarket intake manifold, weight reduction, and hopefully a nice shot of the giggle gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The factory oil pressure guages are jokes on these cars. There are several other people that have experienced the same problem you're having. I know, because I found them when mine started doing it.

I thought I was having oil return problems leading to pump starvation because at first mine only did it at WOT at the top of first gear (6200 and up). I put a mechanical guage on to get the real story, and realized it was an instrumentation error.

It's gotten worse with time. Now under any heavy throttle with higher engine speed the factory guage drops to zero and the idiot light comes on. It's on most of the way down the track, but my mechanical guage tells me I've got consistent 90-95 psi. I can't really explain it. It doesn't seem to be an overpressure issue, because when the engine is cold, I've got 100 psi at start up until it warms up, and it doesn't do it then. Only under heavy acceleration.

Oh well. The only reason I leave it hooked up at all is because it would still indicate a problem during normal driving. I just disregard it when I'm racing.

Mike

edit: If you want to read about my experiences, check out this thread.

- DOHC 4.6
- 4.56 Trac-Loc
- DirtyDog Converter (3,800)
- SCT Micro Tuner from Blue Oval Chips
- 13.24 @ 103mph

ToombsRacing.com

Last edited by Toombs; 10-04-2006 at 11:08 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
thanks, im gonna replace it, its only like 3 bucks, but im more worried about my rattle.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

How did you break your damper (engine is neutral balance so "balancer" would be incorrect)? What brand Under drives did you get?

I'm thinking you'll want to look into Romac, ATI, Innovators west, ETC.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
well the damper is steeda and im unsure on the water pump it was anodized blue off of a wrecked tbird i think summit.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird
How did you break your damper?

96 Alpine Green V8

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:17 AM

How did you break your damper?

96 Alpine Green V8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in