Radiator replacement Qs. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to maxmk8
Radiator replacement Qs.

My GF currently drives a 4.6L 97 T-Bird. The car currently has 62300 miles. I believe the radiator sprung a leak on the right side. I checked all the hoses and looked good. At first I thought the drain-plug was loose (pathetic I know), since it is about the general area where her coolant is leaking. But it doesn't seem to be the problem.

What are some good OEM replacement radiators? I do NOT want to modify the car, I just want a simple swap, don't have a need for additional coolant capacity etc.

The OEM replacement from FORD is an outrageous $235 AFTER discount...
I checked rock-auto.com and they list a SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU1551 for $114 and a PROLIANCE Part # 432344 for $134.

I did a search in the forums and found that people dislike the factory aluminum/plastic combo radiators... but since I want OEM i think I'll have to stick with them. Has anyone used the above mentioned radiators? And are they any worse than stock?

I added a tranny cooler to her car (Tranny>Radiator>Tranny cooler>Tranny) and I want to bypass the radiator once I swap the new one in. Is a 24k tranny cooler enough to bypass the radiator without seeing increased tranny temperatures? Or should I hook everything up the same way it was before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:49 AM
PostWhore

Not sure about the radiator aspect of the setup, but that tranny cooler is more than adaquate to cool the trans on its own. In fact, you will most likely see lower trans temps. I kept my factory trans cooler in the loop to help keep the fluid warm in the winter. But even in the 108 deg temp this summer, running the A/C, and a 3500 stall converter, I never saw more than 190 deg on my trans temp.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
9.0 @ 78 (1/8 Mile only in Abilene )
2.06 60' on Street Tires (BFG G-Force Super Sport 245/50/16)
3805 Lbs, Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Density Altitude = 4132'
That Run, Corrected for Standard Day
1/8 mile: 8.75 @ 82
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
I got a Visteon manufactured OEM radiator on radiator.com for 156$ It even came with FoMoCo trans line fittings. Ive had mine in since early 2003 and have had no problems.

With the trans cooler, you are going to want to use both the heat exchanger on the trans and the aftermarket cooler, it will help the fluid warm up to operating temp in the winter better. Mine is mounted on the bracket between the AC condensor and the PS cooler.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to maxmk8
Car is located in california, and it will probably never see temperatures below 40 degrees F. So I am not sure if the fluid needs heating up during winter months.

Thanks for the heads up on the radiators.com website.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

some of us don't have the option of inline heat exchangers in the radiator

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:22 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbird96 Send a message via MSN to thunderbird96 Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbird96
well i maybe able to help i work for a automotive cooling products.we sell all the above rad's.I think we could sell ya a visteon for around a 100.00 that's ballpark #'s.I do know you would have to pay with a credit card. call this number 913-438-4884 ask for phil.Tell him buddylee said for you to call.I will talk to him tommorow about it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I just checked out the site radiator.com, and they have some pretty cool articles (no pun intended). I will have to talk to the guys in my MG car club and show them the article on who probably does not need a custom Griffin aluminum radiator for the 80 HP MGB.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in