Weird temp issues - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Weird temp issues

I've noticed that when its warm outside, my temperature gauge is usually between the N and the R in NORM. When I have the AC on, it stays closer to the R. When it gets cooler out, the needle usually stays below the N. If I turn the heater on, then the needle stays very low. Sometimes its barely above the blue mark. Is this normal? The themostat was new at the beginning of the summer and and its an OE replacement. Its not a cooler stat. The coolant level is also good.

'94 Thunderbird LX

Lowered 1.5", K&N Cone, Optima Red Top, 80% Tint, Clear Corners, Panasonic Deck, Coustic 600 Watt Amp w/ 2 Kicker Comp 12s.

Wish List:
Full Front Mask(?), Rear Blackouts, Rust Repair/Paint, Wing, 17s, XCal 2 and MAJOR Engine and Drivetrain Mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Sounds normal to me. When you run the heater the heater core acts as an extra radiator taking heat from the engine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:24 PM

Smile hello fold and others

Hi everyone! My first post here! I have to say that that may be normal but may not be how it originally came from the factory. My '95 LX is doing the same thing. For the first 70,000 miles, I used to marvel at how the temp marker in the guage was stuck on the N in NORM in all kinds of weather, even idling in summer with AC on-very stable. However, it recently started to fluctuate between the N and M. I replaced the thermostat and the temp sensor with no change. I found out the radiator fan operates on a slow speed and a high speed, turning on at the slower speed at a lower temp and then switching to high speed if needed at the higher temp (about at the R in NORM). I theorized that the low speed was not working. I have taken it to a Ford dealership and the tech used his diagnostic tool and showed me the low fan and high fan are still working but couldnt explain the fluctuation. I guess as long as it stayed in the NORM range and a fan of some kind came on at some point preventing overheating, then all was well, and they were considering me a perfectionist. However, I know how it is supposed to work. The funny thing is, if my AC is ON, the temp will stay stuck on the N like it used to, but if it is off like on a cold day, the temps will fluctuate and will move up to the R or M before the fan comes on. In other words it works properly with the AC on, but not with it off. Consequently, I have run the AC on coolish days just so the engine temp will stay down. The other weird thing is when the AC is ON, the cooling fan will cycle on and off, even when the engine is stone cold and that can't be right. This is a complicated problem and I dont think the techs can figure it out and I got tired of worrying about it. If I had an temp "idiot light" instead of a gauge, I wouldn't even see the fluctuations, so I move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 PM

When your AC is on the fan is supposed to be on high. Even when cold. It should also come on with the defrost even if you just got in your car in the morning in 32* weather.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:10 PM
6th Gear Poster

Wow, your guys gauges get all the way up to the R and the M? My engine must be running incredibly cool then! At 2 AM when I commute with the heater on, the needle goes about 1-2mm above the cold line, almost like the engine never warms up! and on a hot day it will go up to the N, but never above! I guess the cooling modification did help a lot. Althought the stock gauge is nothing to marvel about when it comes to accuracy.

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 PM

Well, on the hottest days this summer with my AC on my gauge barely made it to the N. I also have done the cooling mod and I have an oil cooler with a fan on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in