what trans to put into my 94 bird with explorer engine, need the engine too - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

what trans to put into my 94 bird with explorer engine, need the engine too

i am finally able to do this 02-04 explorer swap, i just need to buy everything and hope i can figure it all out.. I really want a 5 speed manual trans to throw in there, what will fit without modding or at least as little as possible because i dont know what im doing. An ex-mechanic will be assisting me though so hopfully we can breeze through this..

The trans needs to be beefy because i do plan on getting the best quarter mile times possible, so some hard shifts will happen. I think i will get better gass mileage with manual trans and probally better quarter mile time with experience, This is correct right? I just plain like to shift too.

I have not purchased the engine yet, greenleaf is a little high with prices at 1500-2500. WHat does this mean in the description on greenleaf?
"VIN W (4.6L)- XXK" vurses this description "-4.6,AOD,4X4,VIN W (4.6L)-ND MLS,RVLC/NG"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Who is John Galt?

If you're wanting faster 1/4 mile times, a properly built automatic transmission will be better than a manual.

However, if you're just wanting to row through the gears, I believe the transmission most use is the T45.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The T45 isn't that complicated of a swap. The hardest thing is the shifter extension box, however it is possible to not use the extension and just modify the center console and shifter handle, however this doesn't have the factory look that most people want. The other option is to use an M5R2, which is the trans found in the SCs, however on a 4.6 you would have to use a case from a 5-speed truck with the 4.6 and then use the internals and tail shaft from an SC trans, then use the SC master and hydraulic throwout bearing. This would be an easier install, however it requires you to buy 2 transmissions and make one out of them. Also the M5R2 doesn't shift as smoothly as the T45, so if you want to speed through the gears, the T45 would be better. Also the M5R2 can handle more power than a stock T45, however with just an explorer swap, either trans would hold up just fine.

Mike

PS. I did my T45 swap for $1500 so it isn't that expensive a swap if you shop around and do a lot of stuff yourself. Also I used all off the shelf parts for my swap. The only custom pieces on the whole swap were the bracket to hold the slave on the trans, and the hydraulic line going between the master and slave.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

is the '02 - '04 mountianeer the same engine as the explorer? If not is the install the same? for some reason i though the montianeer had like 20 less hp but after googling it a bit it has the same rating, i just want to make sure its the same engine / same reliability and simplicity for a swap before i buy it..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:04 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

mountaineer is the same

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have a very low mile 04 Explorer long block for sale.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

i am intrested, but i dont know what parts i will need to get if its just the block and not the whole engine assembly.. like the chip and w/e else might not be included.... all the explorers 02 -04 are aluminum long block?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
I have a very low mile 04 Explorer long block for sale.

Darrin
Hey now. You said you was gonna hold onto that.

Is the 04 Aluminum too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in