Moving to minn. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Importskyline22 Send a message via Yahoo to Importskyline22
Moving to minn.

Alright. My car specs are below my name. Im living with my parents currently. In april i will be moving to minnesota for awhile with my g/f so she can finsih school.

IN order for my to take my tbird (without my mom worrying her *** off) would be to fix what needs to be fixed.

So far this is what needs to be done.

new power steering pump
rack and pinions need to be replaced
annd new shocks

What kidna of money do you think i need to spend for this?

We know a mechanic who has worked on our cars for 12 years running. So hoepfully i can get a deal with the cost of labor (being i dont have acess to a garage and woudlent know what i was doing neway).

Is there any thing you think i need to do to prepare my car, which is an instersate virgin, to travel 22 hours and then live in the cold winters?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Adam B.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it will be over a grand. The rack and pinion assembly isn't cheap. If I wasn't at work, I'd look up prices for those parts. Sorry.

Stuff goes here.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
PS Pump $105 (FordPartsCounter)
Rack & Pinion $200 (O'Reilly's)
Shocks (2x$18.99 AutoZone - Gabriel OEM Replacements)
Struts (2x$78.99 AutoZone - Gabriel OEM Replacements)

I don't know if you need both struts (front) and shocks (rear) but here are the prices I have found. If your friend will let you bring him the parts and only charge you labor to install all of this stuff then I would guess about $1000 for parts and labor. If you have never done any suspension work then I would guess that the front and rear sway bar links also need to be changed (2x$14.99 and 2x$18.99) and the strut bushings (I don't know the price from Jason on these). . . .hope this helps.

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Importskyline22 Send a message via Yahoo to Importskyline22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wether
PS Pump $105 (FordPartsCounter)
Rack & Pinion $200 (O'Reilly's)
Shocks (2x$18.99 AutoZone - Gabriel OEM Replacements)
Struts (2x$78.99 AutoZone - Gabriel OEM Replacements)

I don't know if you need both struts (front) and shocks (rear) but here are the prices I have found. If your friend will let you bring him the parts and only charge you labor to install all of this stuff then I would guess about $1000 for parts and labor. If you have never done any suspension work then I would guess that the front and rear sway bar links also need to be changed (2x$14.99 and 2x$18.99) and the strut bushings (I don't know the price from Jason on these). . . .hope this helps.

yes it does help. thanks alot man.

Me and my dad are going to talk to him either 2morrow or thursday and see what we can do.

To my knowledge. Its just the front end that needs the work....at least i hope thats it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Poster

test your antifreeze, make sure its good to -30. get some good tires and make sure you carry what you need to stay warm with you. cell phones a must if you havnt drove in snow-ice much. might wanna get some sandbags for the trunk.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:37 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95moneypit
test your antifreeze, make sure its good to -30. get some good tires and make sure you carry what you need to stay warm with you. cell phones a must if you havnt drove in snow-ice much. might wanna get some sandbags for the trunk.
Excellent advice!

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95moneypit

looks like your in mn. What part?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:09 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
Ah...Minn isn't that cold...I live in Northern Iowa and (Minn does too prob) we have some of the strangest weather anywhere on the face of the planet...one day it will be 60 and sun shine, next morning you'll have snow on the ground (couple weeks ago...) But good luck up there in the north

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:12 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94mncougar
Wash your car or you will develop rocker rust. Agreed with the sandbags and keeping warm. If you are coming to the twin cities expect idiots on either extreme... there are some that see snow and forget that they had to drive in it last year so they will honestly go 25mph in a 55mph zone when it is not bad out, then there are the ones that forget that it did snow so they will turn sharply and slam on brakes. Anyway, hope you enjoy MN, it's a good place!

Winter mods included:
- Developing Rocker Rust
- Saggy Suspension - fixed!
- Chipped paint
- I'm sure more to come... TOTALED
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Poster

i live about 5 miles south of rochester. winter has been mild for quite a few years but we still get a weak or 2 of -10 to -20. lately we have got most our snow around february but you just never know when the snow or cold is coming.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecoug
Ah...Minn isn't that cold...I live in Northern Iowa and (Minn does too prob) we have some of the strangest weather anywhere on the face of the planet...one day it will be 60 and sun shine, next morning you'll have snow on the ground (couple weeks ago...) But good luck up there in the north

Joe
It depends where you are... around the Red River Valley you can figure on seeing a low in the -30's in January. I just redid my coolant mix (new rad and w/p) and went with 8 qts antifreeze and 6 qts water for -55 or so.

1996 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L/auto, 195k miles, semi-retired
2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 4.7L/auto
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi/auto
Gone but not forgotten: 1973 Mercury Cougar XR-7 351C-2V/FMX - 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7L/manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in