Pros and Cons.... Cleaning time.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Question Pros and Cons.... Cleaning time....

I finally have the time to work on the project I spoke of in my very first post ever to this website forum... which is a 1997 4.6 V-8 alpine green thunderbird with blown head gaskets....

I pulled both heads over the weekend and it was obvious which gasket blew... seeing as the 4 pistons on the passanger side head looked brand new (steam clean effect from the coolant in the cylinder from the blown gasket) and the 4 pistons on the drivers side looked normal (from not having a blown gasket).

I'm replacing all of the seals and gaskets I encounter along the way so that I have that assurance factor of the other head gasket not going out and everything on the engine being basically new.

While I'm in there... I'm also replacing the radiator, water pump, water pump seal, hose connecting the coolant tube in the valley, valve stem seals, timing cover gaskets, front seal on the timing cover, valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, intake (for one with an aluminum crossover), intake manifold gaskets, belt, belt tensioner, spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, cat-back exhaust, oxy sensors (all 4), timing chains, timing chain guides, thermostat, thermostat o-ring, head bolts, head gaskets, fuel filter, all of the fluids... including brake, trans, oil, power steering, diff. oil, gas, etc... also I'm adding an oil cooler, oil filter relocater, and trans cooler.

Now to my question can I clean the carbon off of the pistons on the drivers side? Would it hurt any to do so? Also how about the inside of the plenum? I know it says not to on the throttle body but why not? would this cause harm? I just want it all to be new and feel new and have that reliability factor that it will last for a long time to come... by the way this car has 81xxx miles on it... I want it to run like new...maybe even better than new.

Thanks in advance to any and all replys

-Chris Murder-

P.S. My Icon is the car we speak of.... I also have a few other birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:40 AM

I'm thinking the Seafoam application would do the trick.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...hlight=seafoam

I don't have a rear view mirror because the only thing I'm going to see in it is the competition.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
you can also use a small (soft) buffer wheel on a dremel with some generic carb cleaner to clean the top of the pistons if you dont have access to a steam cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
GMacTbird seafoam sounds like it would do the trick but I'm looking more along the lines of cleaning it before I put the heads back on....

guitar maestro thanks for the tip.

any one have others suggestions? does anyone know if any harm can be caused to the engine by cleaning carbon off pistons and intake parts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in