help, punctured a/c radiator? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

help, punctured a/c radiator?

I removed the lower part of my front bumper to install my tranns coolsron my 98 Mark VIII. I drilled two holes to attach a bracket and I ended up puncturing that "wanna be radiator." What the heck is it, looks like a radiator but it is actually infront of the radiator, part of the a/c? Nothing is coming out of it. What happens if I drive with it punctured?
Any one ever replace one and how much $$$$
Thanks

Mark of the Cobra

98 Mark VIII LSC Black N' Tan aka PowerSlave 4.10's, DynoTech shaft, Koni adjustables, Cobra brakes up front, Cobra rotors and hub swap on all fours, 99 SVT Cobra wheels-17x8, Kumho Ecsta SPT 255/50/17 on all fours, B&M SuperOil Cooler.
94 Mark VIII Opal White

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2422205
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:13 PM

It's the power steering fluid cooler. If you had punctured the line that had fluid in it, there would have definitely been fluid dribbling out. If you drove with a hole like that in the line, then you would quickly lose all your power steering fluid and you'd know when that happened. Since no fluid came out, you probably just punctured one of the heat transfer tubes.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
The Parts Guy

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the AC condensor. If it didn't hiss and spray freezing cold vapor out of the hole, either your system isn't currently charged or you didn't actually puncture it. You're not going to hurt anything by driving the car, but you won't have AC.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 PM

I think you're right. I missed when he said in front of the radiator. I was thinking right behind the bumper since that's where he was drilling.

On my T-Bird, the very bottom row of tubes wasn't actually part of the system. They were there, but there definitely wasn't any refrigerant in them. As Rod said, if you didn't hear any hissing and your A/C works, you have nothing to worry about. If you A/C didn't work before and you actually did puncture it, expect to pay around $150 for a new condensor.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it is the condender. When I punctured it there was no hissing. I ran the a/c on for about 2 miutes and it was still blowing cold. Hopefully it is not part of the system like Chris says and I can save some $$$. When I shut her down I heard a hissing for about 30 seconds and then it stopped. Don't remember hearing it before, but then again I wasn't listening for it. Would the discharge only occur when the vehicle is running? I will run it more tomorrow.

Mark of the Cobra

98 Mark VIII LSC Black N' Tan aka PowerSlave 4.10's, DynoTech shaft, Koni adjustables, Cobra brakes up front, Cobra rotors and hub swap on all fours, 99 SVT Cobra wheels-17x8, Kumho Ecsta SPT 255/50/17 on all fours, B&M SuperOil Cooler.
94 Mark VIII Opal White

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:33 AM

That hissing after you turn it off is normal. Just the pressure in the system being relieved.

If you punctured the line, you'd know real quick. It would have been very loud and noticeable. Looks like you've got nothing to worry about.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 AM
5th Gear Poster

Cobra, I suggest you drop everything and go play your local lottery. You are sounding real lucky!

Bob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys I was going to buy a new condensor for nothing! I'll keep you guys posted if the a/c starts to weaken or act up.

Thanks again

Mark of the Cobra

94 Mark VIII Opal White

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in