crown vic to t-bird... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

crown vic to t-bird...

swapping a 97 crown vic motor into my 96 bird.i wanted to use the motor AND transmission out of the vic,because i bought the t-bird with a dead engine and i don't know if the tran. is any good.
was told that the tran. wouldn't fit because the tailshaft is too long.doing rough measurements under the vic,it looks as if the transmissions are the same length.
the vic does have a speedometer cable though.would the birds electronic speedo bolt up?
would the transmission work right because of the different years of the cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Is it a CVPI? To check, look at the VIN if possible and see if it has P71, if it does, then the tailshaft is too long. If it is P73 or P74 then it should be fine. Both should have the same thing for the speedometer, both are 4R70Ws, no need to change around the wiring, I don't know about the MLPS and the TCC, should be a direct swap both engine and tranny.

Some of the intake stuff will need to be reused from the thunderbird like the fuel rails, but since they are both already composite intake cars, should be an easy swap.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:37 PM

i swapped a transmission out of a police car into my 95 tbird 4.6L. I had to get a custom driveshaft cut for me and it worked fine. My speedo is off by 5-10mph.

1995 Thunderbird LX/4.6L/152,000/crown vic tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

definitely not a PI motor...mlps...tcc...??? the tcc is somethong in the valvebody of the trans.?...whats mlps?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 01:25 AM

MLPS = Manual Lever Position Sensor (aka Neutral Safety Switch, Trans Range Sensor). It's a switch on the side of the trans that detects what gear you manually select the trans to be in.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

just got the vic motor out and have a few morequestions

the transmission from the vic has the shiftlever that moves uver the top,the bird has one that moves on the bottom.like their 180 degrees out.
can i unbolt the levers and swap them?i'm assuming some of the stuff(wiring) is the mlps....

also had to change exhaust manifolds,bought a new set of gaskets but decided to use the old ones.good choice????
the new gaskets look just like gaskets that i used to get in a smallblock rebuild kit.the stock gaskets looked like they were engineered for dissimilar metals.like they could expand and contract at different rates on each side. anyone ever re-use original exhaust gaskets?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Jack of all trades, Master of none

Yes, that shift lever your talking about needs to be swapped. I used a 99 Vic transmission in my bird, and just unscrewed the big nut on the inside of the transmission holding that shift lever in place, and put the birdy one in. The MLPS is going to be a black thing on the outside of the transmission that connects to that shift lever. You should use the MLPS from the bird. The TCC solenoid is located inside the tranny, just remove the pan and it is one of the sensors on the bottom. Does the Vic tranny have loose wires connecting all the sensors or is it a hard piece of molded plastic connecting them. Either way, you need to use a TCC solenoid for your year model of bird. It is short, about an 1 inch and half or so tall and will be cylinder shaped. You will also need to repin your wiring harness that plugs into the transmission. The one in the tech articles is wrong, so do a search over on modular depot for the 4R70W wiring harness pinout.

Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
what you need is someone strong to guide you
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ok, no repinning or TCC swap is needed. As long as the transmission is the same length then its a direct bolt in from a 97 to a 96.
You do need to replace the lever and make very sure that you put the nub that drives the manual lever in the same slot that it came out of on the manual lever.
The engine and transmission are mostly direct swaps other than very minor stuff.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Jack of all trades, Master of none

Oh, thats right, the 97 would have the same harness, correct? Was it 99 and up that used a different harness? Is that the same for the TCC?

Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
what you need is someone strong to guide you
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Nope, the TCC was the same after 95. On our cars it was just the 94 and 95's that need to worry about reusing or geting a new TCC for their year car.

Now, all of the stuff changed to hardwire in 98. So the connectors are different from 98 on and won't hook onto the old wire harness. If you choose to use a 98 or newer transmission in a 96-97 version of our cars then you either need to

(1) Repin the harness in the car to work with the newer electronics

(2) Change all of the electronics including the internal harness, temp sensor, shift solenoids, TCC and EPC to the 97 or older stuff

(3) Reuse the temp sensor and solder the wiring onto the shift solenoids, TCC and EPC.

If you have a 94-95 the above is the same except for that you need to use the proper TCC for the year of the car. You can't use the newer style TCC so you won't be soldering the new style one in because it will burn up the driver in the computer.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in