More questions... valve covers/chip - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Lightbulb More questions... valve covers/chip

So I tore apart another 4.6 v-8 thunderbird's motor for those counting.... thats 2 4.6 thunderbirds off the road for mods and rebuilds 1 alpine green 97, and 1 white 96.

This ones white, and will not getting as much attention to detail as the other one, probably just old parts off of the alpine green one... but while I was in there it got me to thinking.... maybe I should put 5.4 PI heads on the alpine green one and my old stock heads on the white one, than the white ones could go on ebay because they have like 185xxx miles and the green ones have 81xxx miles,

BUT...

right after thinking that it brought up some more questions I want answered, so please chime in... Will BBK windsor valve covers and 5.4 heads fit on my thunderbird (green one)? Because I can get windsors a lot more easily than romeos and would need valve covers so why not right? I just wanted to know if they will fit in between the shock towers.

Also... just to clarify... if I go with PI heads, a PI intake, and kooks headers I need to get a chip and use the stock maf and injectors right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

So you wanna put 5.4 heads on your stock 4.6 block...so then you'd need the 5.4 intake manifold and probably the front cover also. Why do you want to do this swapping may I ask?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Baby Huey

5.4 heads are the same as 4.6 heads. If you have windsor heads you need windsor valve covers, timing cover is same as well(has nothing to do with the heads)

For the heads, intake, and headers, as long as you leave the maf and injectors alone you dont need a tune (although one would make it run even better)

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Hotbird, 5.4 PI heads and 4.6 PI heads are the same, the only difference is windsor or romeo, I can get windsor heads easily but would need valve covers.... which brings me back to my question.... will BBK valve covers fit between the shock towers? Either way I'm going to need to buy valve covers, I just want to make sure they'll fit. Someone please chime in.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:12 AM
PostWhore

Chris, are you wanting to use the BBK covers for better looks? If not, you can easily get a set of stock valve covers for those heads on ebay or elsewhere. If you wanting a nicer looking engine, then you might want to look at the Team Breed Valve Covers, they IMO are much better looking than the BBK's and also are the same size as stock covers, so no fitment problems as far as I know. Also, Moroso is coming out with some Modular Valve Covers as well, they arent out yet but I saw pictures of them over on Modular Depot and they look great. I think I'll either be doing Moroso or Team Breed Covers when I do my PI swap. I dont know if the BBK's will clear your shock towers or not, I wish I could help you there. If you want links to Team Breed or to see the Moroso Covers just let me know.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
The BBK's will fit, but its close. If I remember right, thunderbird96 (Jason) has a set. He has to raise the engine just to get the Valve cover bolts loose.

Rule of thumb for needing a tune.

If the computer reads it, or controls it, you need a tune if you change it. (I.E. MAF, Fuel Injectors, etc.) The computer doesn't "read" the heads, intake, cams, etc. just the amount of air that flows past them (and the MAF meter reads that) So the stock computer will work with the PI heads and intake. However, a tune is recommended to get the most out of all your hard work.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>

Last edited by Traveler; 11-02-2006 at 11:30 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
there is a problem with BBK covers that dont sit well with me. I have team Breed Covers and they have a groove machined into them to accept the factory gasket, the BBK covers dont, so you have a risk of a gasket not seating properly.

if you want aluminum covers, get team breed.

www.bullittmansparts.com

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the gasket groove the great obuncina, I almost bought a set, also 281 tbird yes I am doing it pretty much for looks, I just didn't think it was very nice of ford to stick aluminum valve covers and tube manifolds on the 3.8 v6 and give the 4.6 v8 plastic valve covers and cast iron manifolds.

So it looks like I'm going to be getting team breed covers, thanks for all of the help everyone, and I'll probably get a chip in about 2-3 weeks, all these mods come at a price $$$

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in