experts needed inside not your normal question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

experts needed inside not your normal question

ok guys heres the deal 97 bird 46 my car is pretty much bone stock air silencer gutted 3rd cat flowmaster muffler.my manifold finally busted so i go to auzone and get one from a 2002 mustang gt so i know its a p.i its a dorman intake?anyways long story short the manifold has those preformed gaskets?i listed to my buddy intall it with no rtv with 15 lbs trq and the car strarted rand and drove fine for 5 miles with a horendous hissing noise it rann great for 5 miles real strong then it started missing cooloant on plugs.so im pissed at this point take it off real sealed everything with rtv air ports and coolant ports.the car ran fine for two weeks but there was still some hissing noise and i lost a LOT of power .recently my CEL came on bank 1 bank 2 lean po174 174? the still a his not my brakes started to act funny the pedal is so stiff you need 2 legs to depress it cause it dont want to stop no shop in vegas can vigure this out we sprayed brake clean around everything trying to find a leak PLEASE HELP tia bobby p.s the second time i retorqed the intake to 25lbs trq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You don't want to use the aftermarket PI intakes with the built in gaskets to do the NPI head to PI intake swap. It doesn't work well, I wouldn't have guessed you would have huge unmetered air leaks, but that is exactly what you have, from the hiss and the lean DTCs for both banks.

Does it have ABS? I would guess vacuum leak someplace, could be your hiss and maybe causing the above symptoms, and you don't have an intake air port leak, but I have never seen anyone with any luck with the aftermarket PI intakes on NPI heads.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:06 PM
5th Gear Poster

check the fuel injecters. When you swapped the intake check to make sure each injector has an o ring around the nozzle. If not it gives a hissing vaccum sound.

94 tbird- 00 pi stang motor, Steeda intake system, Accufab 70mm throttle body,upper plenum, dual flows from flowmaster, transgo shift kit, B&M tranny cooler, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10 frpp, Mark8 TC, ScT chip,18x9 Rims.

04 cadillac ctsV--my monster, that takes the wife n kids out,and gets the groceries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
You don't want to use the aftermarket PI intakes with the built in gaskets to do the NPI head to PI intake swap…

I have never seen anyone with any luck with the aftermarket PI intakes on NPI heads.
Ok, which is it...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=90220 Post #9

Can we get a consensus on this issue: PI Intake w/integrated gaskets on a NPI head. :

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys i forgot to mention sometimes it has a fluctuation at idle goes to 1500 rpm and then its normal where can i get the CORRECT manifold for this car and they charrged me about 240 after tax did i over pay
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Ok, which is it...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=90220 Post #9

Can we get a consensus on this issue: PI Intake w/integrated gaskets on a NPI head. :

Yes, it works!

You need RTV around the coolant ports as you would with the Ford manifold, but other than that it works great and provides the same boost in power as the Ford part. Mine has a cracked seam in the #1 runner, but other than that it seals up perfect (both vaccum and coolant).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I can't seem to find the post here or on Crownvic.net where they showed the huge difference and they had no luck, maybe that was also trying to use the NPI gaskets in addition to the built in ones (and they are better described as spacers with sealing surfaces on both sides).

The problem the poster is tracking down could be a vacuum leak from a busted or not hooked up vacuum line, or a huge amount of unmetered leaks around the intake ports.

Lack of assist for the brakes, hiss, lean condition, moving idle does sound more like a vacuum leak that sucking air after the TB.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I vote for brake booster line not connected.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown
I vote for brake booster line not connected.
I'll second that vote. On the '97, the vacuum connection to the brake booster is tucked up under the cowl; you won't see it unless you look for it. I believe there is a fitting on the back of the plenum that should be connected to it.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's freaking hilarious.

Adventures in ChumpCar Racing
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

definite vac leak or unmetered air entering

you need to either RTV around the coolant ports, or RTV the intake ports depending on the gaskets

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys for all the responses i looked at that car up side down inside out i cant find no leak.what im going to try to do is redo the manifold with some gaskets hope to god this fixes my problem my car runs donkey slow right now before the manifold i was destroying bolt on mustangs
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 PM
PostWhore

Check the DPFE...it's that little silver box in the back by the EGR. There are some vacuum hoses back there, and I knocked one off when I did my PI swap, couldn't figure out for about a week why my engine would stumble and hiss really bad at about 1300 RPM out of nowhere and continue to be choppy. Turns out at that RPM, the EEC would ask for EGR, pull vaccuum on the DPFE, but the hose wasn't connected, causing the vacuum leak that behaved weirdly. Just slid the hose back on, problem solved.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
9.0 @ 78 (1/8 Mile only in Abilene )
2.06 60' on Street Tires (BFG G-Force Super Sport 245/50/16)
3805 Lbs, Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Density Altitude = 4132'
That Run, Corrected for Standard Day
1/8 mile: 8.75 @ 82

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in