Lets talk Windage Trays -- - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Lets talk Windage Trays --

From how I understand it, Windage trays are used to keep the oil controlled better, and hold it in the sump away from the rotating assembly...

What are some pros and cons of this? Pros obviously would be keeping the oil closer to the pickup, but isn't it beneficial to have some of the oil splash on the rotating assembly to lubricate it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
somebody correct me if i'm wrong but as i understand it there should be plenty of oil (if u have enough enough pressure) dripping down on the crank from above. any oil coming up from below is just going to create drag which will put a slowing force on the rotation of the crankshaft robbing power. pro's would be decreased drag and the oil pump shouldn't get starved. no real con's to think of. now if u really wanna go top notch (and spend some bucks) you go with a dry sump set up. which stores all the oil in a seperate tank and allows the oil pan to really be small. just enough to clear everything and give the dripping oil somewhere to drain to.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

All of the important areas (bearing journals) of the crank are force oiled. There aren't really any cons that I can think of in a modern engine. In older pushrod engines with flat tappet camshafts (non-roller) sling off of the crank is what lubed the cam.

Mike

- DOHC 4.6
- 4.56 Trac-Loc
- DirtyDog Converter (3,800)
- SCT Micro Tuner from Blue Oval Chips
- 13.24 @ 103mph

ToombsRacing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Cheers! Thats just what I wanted to know. Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:26 PM
6th Gear Poster

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone priced out a dry-sump system for the 4.6?

Peter M

SOLD 1996 4.6l Thunderbird-(fast) PI intake, custom exhaust, Bullet-Resistant Tranny™, blah, blah, blah
2007 VW GTI-(faster) United Grey, 18" wheels, APR stage 1 chip, and... uh... that's it for now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Actually the primary job of a windage tray is to keep the slinging oil that comes off of the crank from introducing air into the oil.
which is why its called a windage tray.

A crank scraper mounts close to the crank to help remove the oil that would be slung off of the crank.

Baffling is what keeps the oil in the oil pan where its supposed to be.

Better windage trays will have elements of all three items.

The pros are less parasitic drag, better oiling of those critical engine parts, I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting.

As far as I know there are no cons in a 4.6.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ok, lets take this one step further -- Would a canton windage tray provide enough benefit over the fins in the bottom of a DOHC (Mark 8) oil pan to justify installing? I know that you can't use the tray if the fins aren't ground down, and I'm wondering if it is even worth my time to worry about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in