Help!!spark plug boots tight - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Help!!spark plug boots tight

Did anyone had a hard time taking out the spark plug wires?? i was chaning my sprak plug today. it was very hard to took the boots out of the spark plug( is that like normal problem) and when it came to the 3rd one i couldn't took it off, i've tried the hardest i can. It felt like my feet almost left the ground. Anyone have suggestion of how to take it off without damage them because i don't want to change the spark plug wires.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
wuss

nah just kiddin....maybe the plug rusted itself onto the spark plug boot....see if you can spray some wd-40 or pb blaster in there and wait a while before yankin on the boot some more
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:45 PM
PostWhore

I have no idea what got them stuck in there to that degree, but one thing you might want to do is remove the fuel rail. With the injector rail out of the way, it's a lot easier to get a good grip on those guys.

When you go to put the boots back on there, just be sure to spooge a bunch of di-electric grease in the boot. It makes taking them off a piece of cake the next time. The di-electric grease trick works on anything rubber and metal, including radiator and heater hoses, and I swear by it.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
9.0 @ 78 (1/8 Mile only in Abilene )
2.06 60' on Street Tires (BFG G-Force Super Sport 245/50/16)
3805 Lbs, Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Density Altitude = 4132'
That Run, Corrected for Standard Day
1/8 mile: 8.75 @ 82
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

i'm just woudering will the pincher for spark plug boot help? it's like $10 CAD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
liquid wrench.... time... muscles, if the plug is rusted to the boot by the time it comes off your probably going to need to get new plug wires, if its a matter of getting a hold of the boot than yes those pinchers will help, but if it just wont let go than it sounds like the metals have become one and those pinchers will probably just be a waste of $10 toward your new wires.... if your really desprit maybe check a scrap yard for wires you break.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:49 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
when you put them back, put on some dielectric grease so you wont have the same problem again

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

thanks guys. I'll think about it. i've done two spark plugs already. I coudn't took off the 3rd one. Other side it's like that too. I saw the 1st owner just changed the wires like 40,000km ago by Ford.
An other reson is i might be driving the car for an other two months and i guess the wires are still new so i don't really want to change the wires but the plugs is like 60,000km already. The car still runs great but i would like to see if it can run more soomth before i sell the car(Due to i'm leaving the country for awhile)Anyways Thank you all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in