Power Steering Pump - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TBirdsRMachismo
Power Steering Pump

So since I had the Bird the power steering pump has always whined like someone bein violated with a screwdriver. When I rev it gets louder blah blah. Heres the kicker, on occasion when my car is idling and I turn the wheel the rmps drop quite low that the thing almost stalls out. I can conclude maybe something in the pulley or the pump is being quite parasitic? Should I replace the pump or what? Any insight?

96' 4.6l LX Sport - Modding put on hold for awhile
91' Chevy 1500 - Can't wait for the 383 Stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
If there is excesive whine from it than yes replace it, don't bother trying to re-condition it or any of that non-sense, just replace it and it will be your best friend for a long time to come, just think its how old? and gets driven how often? think of how much use its seen, its probably about that time for a new one.

I never understood people trying to recondition things that need to be replaced, like voltage regulators in alternators... just replace the whole thing, or sand blasting spark plugs... they are like 2 bucks each buy new ones... god people can be cheap...

Sorry my advice is so rant-full

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Also make sure that the whine isn't a squeel coming from a worn belt or belt tensioner, but is in fact the power steering pump.

227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TBirdsRMachismo
Well when I had a tune up done the mechanic commented on the pump whining like a bit ch and not to mention the car has almost 160k on it and it's the original unit.

96' 4.6l LX Sport - Modding put on hold for awhile
91' Chevy 1500 - Can't wait for the 383 Stroker
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sounds like its about that time then, I just replaced the power steering pump on my v6 today.... it was not fun. Although In my opinion taking the one off of the v8 is easier as long as you have a 10mm box end wrench, I had to remove the one on my v8 when I took the timing cover off although I didn't take the lines off, just moved it out of the way I needed a 10mm box end wrench to get around the line... although... if your removing the whole pump anyway I suppose you really don't need a box wrench for the problem bolt, just a socket wrench.

Sorry for my babbling

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:48 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
mine whined a little until i added lucas

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in