WOW! DOHC swap costs included - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
WOW! DOHC swap costs included

Ok, so last weekend I just putzed around the neighborhood a little. Everything is not done yet, but I had the car out tonight and last night, tonight with the tranny mod done, see more on this is the drivetrain section. I will have all the motor related stuff finished up tomorrow. This car is a blast to drive now, not that it wasn't before but it is like having a whole new car. That little engine revs forever, I think some of the wiring that is still not completely done may effect the shifting, I had to crack the gas to make it shift after I saw 6000 on the tach, my guess is that it should have shiftied itself before this, it was in Drive.

The power difference is noticeable right off the line, I don't know what the power curves for the two motors look like but you can tell the difference from the beginning even without launching the car hard by getting the revs up by holding the brake.

PITA will be after me for cruelty to animals but Birds don't like cats so something had to be done because they were choking the Bird. The exhaust sounds great. Only slight drone cruising at 2000 and it roars when you get it working a little harder. Someone had asked for prices, here is a pretty good list of what I spent on the motor swap.

$700 for DOHC 4.6 motor with incomplete wiring harness
$25 for intake tube (one with motor was broke) and relay control module from junkyard (piece that was broke making harness incomplete)
$180 for Cobra Valve covers (Valve covers were cracked, Mark VIII covers are $100 more a piece, the part # for both the Mark and Cobra covers are stamped inside the new covers...hahaha)
$110 for blue FRPP plugs wires from Dan N
$1.40 each for two step colder plugs
Free radiator hoses (4 hoses required)
Free serpentine belt
$22 for new throttle position sensor (old on was broke)
$68 for used thottle Body (lip was broke where the intake tube goes on, notice allparts in tat spot were broke) from private party
$55 for used MAF from junk yard on car-part.com
$40 for new IAC
$370 for exhaust - 2.5 inch pipe, x cross over, flowmasters
$4.09 per quart fo Mobile One synthetic at Wal-Mart (engine uses 6 quarts, pan has extra little area on passenger side the SOHC motor didn't have)
Free A/C compressor stolen off old motor
Also bought Motorcraft stock T-Bird air filter and an oil filter, don't remember cost.
Subtract $125 from expenses for sale motor

Non engine parts:
$80 Mark VIII drive shaft
$125 + freight and tax for Mark VIII TC
J-mod parts, I am pretty sure price lists can be found in the drivetrain section if you search a little, total around $125 for parts and Mercon V (bought 14 quarts)
$37 Perm-a-Cool Tranny Cooler

I think this accounts for all the money spent. I put on the new valve covers after the enigne was in the car, I had to jack up the pasenger side of the motor to get that cover off and remove the master cylinder to get the other cover changed, not fun, if you re doin anything with these, do it before the motor goes in! The intake tube rubs the hood insulation slightly. Since I painted this I cut the insulation in that spot to get rid of the rubbing. It is painted silver to match the valve covers. Some black engine identification letting maybe purchased for this soon.

Pictures by the end of the week.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 12:23 PM
5w30 Guzzler

Send a message via AIM to chilipepprflea
did some of those prices include the discount for being a tccoa member?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

The plug wires from Dan list at $140 so they were discounted, got them for $105 +S&H, I think that is more off than the TCCOA discount, maybe not, don't remember what it is. My dad works at a dealer, I got the other new parts through him, probably cheaper in most cases than from Dan @ 5 Star. The Valve Covers werent actually that much, most parts were rounded to the dollar but that one was rounded to the nearest 10.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 01:55 AM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Send a message via AIM to Rossf84
HOW do you get a motor for $700?nm

asdfadhfasdh
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
I paid $500 with tranny with 71000....

Its all who you know,lol.
Chris
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Guy in Lincoln named Doug, runs a body shop here in Lincoln everyone may have heard of known as Auto Kraft. You know, the one that shortened the T-Birds. Well, he shortened a Mark VIII, but it took him two Mark VIII's to make one short Mark VIII. One car although it would kick ***, does not need two engine. Thus, I got a motor for $700 and I would bet that problaby about paid for the car that it came from.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:52 AM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Well, I guy I know here in town just acquired a junk Mark VIII with a throw rod or something. anyways, I plan ot beg him into keeping it for a parts car for a few years so I build me a cobra motor to drop into my car. Pull the wiring harness and EEC out of that lincoln, maybe a few other parts. If its a 93, tht driveshaft is mine DEFINATELY!

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 08:05 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in