chimney - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
5w30 Guzzler

Send a message via AIM to chilipepprflea
chimney

for a while now my exhaust has been a little smokey. blue smoke. and i realize that these engines' valves start to leak. but it's gotten much worse. it happens when cold or hot. probably more smoke once the engine is warm. it's a steady flow that's noticeable from across the yard and when i rev it up to only 1500rpm, it just fills the air with smoke and it's enough that it goes about 20ft high and drifts into my neighbor's yard! i've heard of a hung open injector causing a lot of smoke, so i unhooked each injector one by one. and unless there's more than one that's messed up, the smoke never stopped. i put in some oil leak stopper and that didnt do any good, that was a couple thousand miles ago and i'm not gonna do it again. but it's a big problem. i dont know yet if i'm losing a lot of oil, but i'm gonna measure now and then again in a week. can anyone help me?!thanks
rob

btw-my MIL is on, but that's been on ever since i gutted my cats a few months ago. unless another code is getting thrown...i'll have them scanned. anyone know if anyone does it for free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 04:52 PM

Talking Try an Autozone to get your codes read....n/m

Mager Thom
1997 AED Thunderbird LX
287RWHP 345RWTQ

"It's ALL about air flow...eveything else...is tuning..."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
5w30 Guzzler

Unhappy codes found

ok. my codes are in from autozone. my MIL has been on ever since i gutted my cats, so i assume at least one of these codes is for them. by they way, the guy tried forever to find the ODBI hookup and i kept telling him i thought it was OBDII so he finally listened and found out he had been wrong. the codes are as follows:

171 system too lean BANK 1

1131 Lack of H20's Switch-Sensor indicates lean

ok, i would think these are just about the same things, but he said one of those codes is reading lean before it even gets to the second set of O2's. he said it's coming lean right out of the engine. can anyone help me out with what's going on? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:07 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to wkenneth
As far as codes go, the 171 I've never seen but I have a P1151 (Lack of H02 Sensor, etc)
As far as that goes, if it gets that code, it'll throw more and more gas in there to get it to run right, which is where all the black smoke is coming from, the computer will only allow it to compensate so much before it throws a code and then it will still be dumping the excess gas in. To test: Flip your o2 sensors, right and left, left and right(it wont hurt anything) then clear the code. Then drive it around and see if it throws a code...if its the same side, you know its internal. but if its the other side, theoretically should be the o2 sensor.

Also, part of the code explanation S21 or S12 (should be anyway) and it'll tell you what side its on. 21 should be driver side, and 12 should be passenger. Maybe its backwards. Hmm...Someone I bet could answer that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
5w30 Guzzler

if it was the O2 sensor, and it effected driveability that much, could i just reset the EEC and it should seem better? til it runs the OBDII cycle again.

i looked in my Haynes manual and it said "Oxygen sensor unable to switch, right side." is the right sensor the passenger side? and what does that mean "unable to switch"?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:28 PM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

You never mentioned the mileage on your engine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
5w30 Guzzler

mileage

98k miles. i reset the EEC and NOT NEARLY as much smoke came out. so that lets me know that a lot of that smoke is an electrical/computer problem and not a mechanical problem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
5w30 Guzzler

Question importance of o2's

i've been told that the first set of o2's isnt necessary either. that yes they do effect the air/fuel ratio based on what's they're reading, but that they're just govt required to keep emissions low and they'll sacrafice performance for better emissions. if you reflashed the computer, would you be able to delete the o2 sensors? and everything would run fine?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 04:00 PM

Talking Re: importance of o2's

Quote:
Originally posted by chilipepprflea
i've been told that the first set of o2's isnt necessary either. that yes they do effect the air/fuel ratio based on what's they're reading, but that they're just govt required to keep emissions low and they'll sacrafice performance for better emissions. if you reflashed the computer, would you be able to delete the o2 sensors? and everything would run fine?
Talk to Dennis....he's got the answers....

Mager Thom
1997 AED Thunderbird LX
287RWHP 345RWTQ

"It's ALL about air flow...eveything else...is tuning..."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in