I appear to be back - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
I appear to be back

I've actually been back from my adventures in South Korea for a few months now. I'm mostly focused on obtaining gainful employment (which is proving much more difficult than I anticipated).

I seem to have found my way into another Thunderbird. It's a 1994 with a 4.6L and a ton of miles (over 200K, though the motor was replaced at some point).

Just checking in

math > pasta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Welcome back, good luck with the job search.

My 97 is in the back yard waiting for a front clip, 89 needs put back together from head gaskets, i bought a mark viii with part of the 4200 settlement from the 97 cougar, and my mark viii just got hit front end...

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 06:19 AM
PostWhore

Hello, welcome back to the forum. That an AZ. car you bought? Wondering how the rust is. Interested too, if you don't mind disclosing, how much?

Post some pics!

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Thanks! Yeah, it's an AZ car. Not planning on selling it, for now at least. For what it's worth, there's no rust, though the clear coat and paint have recently taken a turn for the worse (fairly seriously). The car has been in our family for a few years, and looked nice (Midnight blue) up until about a year ago, when suddenly the clear coat went and the paint underneath started oxidizing badly. I was surprised how quickly it happened.

If you're looking for a rust free AZ project car, I'm sure we can all keep our eyes open for one .

math > pasta
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidFly View Post
Thanks! Yeah, it's an AZ car. Not planning on selling it, for now at least. For what it's worth, there's no rust, though the clear coat and paint have recently taken a turn for the worse (fairly seriously). The car has been in our family for a few years, and looked nice (Midnight blue) up until about a year ago, when suddenly the clear coat went and the paint underneath started oxidizing badly. I was surprised how quickly it happened.

If you're looking for a rust free AZ project car, I'm sure we can all keep our eyes open for one .
Welcome back to the states..

I always thought that 92 LX you had was pretty sweet..If you don't mind me asking..What ever happened to it?..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to KJH95
Welcome back. You can never be done with these cars. If you sell one you will always end up getting another. Trust me. I know. I just started pulling the motor on my 4v yesterday. Sending my Extra cylinder heads out tomorrow. Where exactly in AZ you settling down in?

Kevin
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidFly View Post

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I wanted to buy your car. I was wondering how much a rust free car like the one you have cost.

Yes, I am in the market for a rust free 'bird. Specifically, a low mileage stock '96/'97 4.6 with four wheel discs.

Thanks man, and good lookin' out.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Welcome back to the states..

I always thought that 92 LX you had was pretty sweet..If you don't mind me asking..What ever happened to it?..

Rayo..
Thanks man, It's actually sitting behind my father's machine shop. It's technically his now. I don't believe he has any immediate plans for it. It's been sitting for a few years and the clear coat is starting to finally deteriorate (tires are likely flat-spotted). The body is otherwise rust free and in good shape (with one ding on the DS front fender and some old rub marks on the front bumper). The motor and tranny are pretty tired and it would be best to rebuild/replace them (I have most of the parts for an m5r2 swap: rebuildable m5r2, swing pedals, center console). The dash has had the stereo ripped out of it one too many times (thieves...) and isn't in great shape.

Notable parts:

- '94/95 style Cobra intake manifold (upper has allegedly been extrude honed)
- 65mm BBK TB
- Ceramic coated MAC shorties (better than the stock units, but still nothing to write home about)
- Koni adjustables all around
- 1.25" Addco rear sway bar
- JL front and rear STBs
- 13" front brakes (DBRU calipers, silver with Tbird logo, 4.5" bolt circle)
- The IRS subframe (4.5" bolt circle, 11.25" disc brakes, MK8 LCAs, AL MK8 center section w/3.73s and a trutrack carrier assembled by Allan aka DirtyDog)
- '97(?) Cobra wheels

There's also a set of long tube headers for a Fox body mustang floating around here somewhere that I was going to try and shoehorn in along with some steering shaft work. I had a set of GT40p heads that I had ported and polished too, but I'm pretty sure my Dad has laid claim to those for his SBF swap in his Volvo 1800.

Honestly, at this point, it would probably be best used as a shell for a race car of one stripe or another. The parts I listed above should probably be stripped off and find new homes (I have dibs, btw )

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH95 View Post
Welcome back. You can never be done with these cars. If you sell one you will always end up getting another. Trust me. I know. I just started pulling the motor on my 4v yesterday. Sending my Extra cylinder heads out tomorrow. Where exactly in AZ you settling down in?

Kevin

Yeah, I really like this platform as hard as I try to move on.

As far as where in AZ, it depends on where I can find work. Likely Phoenix or Tucson. I have been having zero luck so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushtonracing View Post
Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I wanted to buy your car. I was wondering how much a rust free car like the one you have cost.

Yes, I am in the market for a rust free 'bird. Specifically, a low mileage stock '96/'97 4.6 with four wheel discs.

Thanks man, and good lookin' out.
no problem. As far as how much these go for, I'm not sure. The Tbird I'm in now was my mother's for a few years. We essentially swapped titles (the '94 was more reliable and had working AC... which is more in line with what I need these days).

There are tons of MN12s around down here, though most aren't in great shape and would need some serious TLC, though the bodies and frame are generally rust-free.

math > pasta

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-20-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

(one more post)

I just got back from a trip to Phoenix (job searching) and my transmission is having a helluva time staying engaged in 3rd and OD. I think I tracked down a low-mileage 4r70w from a Crown Vic at a yard in Tucson. I need to call them on Monday and make sure it isn't a police interceptor unit. I've already contacted Alan at DirtyDog about some rebuild parts.

*sigh* so it beings. Next thing I know I'll be prepping an Explorer PI motor.

math > pasta
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Poster

Got that tinker itch have you, glad your back!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Thanks!

There's a low mileage CV 4R70w sitting on a pallet at the shop. DirtyDog has (or will shortly have) upgrade/replacement parts and a new TC in the mail. I still need to source a compatible flexplate. With any luck I'll be able to get the tranny in next weekend.

Interior courtesy lighting, 3rd brake light and back up lights are all switched over to LEDs. On Monday the remote oil filter goes in (I've changed the filter on a modular Tbird ONCE.... that was enough).

math > pasta
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Poster

With a police trans won't you rebuild it any way?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

It's a non-Police Interceptor unit. You're right though, the Police Interceptors have a longer tailshaft that won't work for us. Mine is a low mileage (<30K) regular duty unit.

math > pasta
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Poster

That good to know, i thought there was a adapter.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to KJH95
If you guys ever need a driveway to work on your cars. Mine is always open. I live in the edge of El mirage and surprise. You guys could help me with my car too. Lol

Kevin
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Poster

Sounds like a plan, we can do!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Yeah, thanks for the offer, and I don't mind wrenching on other people's cars one bit

BTW, up in the Chandler/Gilbert area right now for an interview tomorrow. Wish me luck. I may

math > pasta
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
PostSkank

It's been a long day, but a good one. Got a job in Tempe and arranged an apartment. I'll be moving over the next few weekends.... been a good birthday, 32 is shaping up to be a good one.

math > pasta
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 06:45 AM
̇

Garage
Congrats on finding a job..Plan on staying stateside long?

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Happy birthday, and good luck with the job!

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Happy Birthday and congrats finding work!!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Congrats on finding a job..Plan on staying stateside long?

Rayo..
Yeah, I'll be here for awhile this time No plans currently to leave.

math > pasta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in