AZ emissions? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
AZ emissions?

Whats the vehicle inspection program like in Arizona, in the Phoenix metro area?

Do they sniff, or just scan for codes on a 96?

Thanks,
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
I believe they sniff the car.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
6th Gear Poster

Justin, I know they scan but can't remember if they sniff too. I will find out tomorrow and post up if no one else pipes in.

Mike K

Stock '96 LX
Best ET 15.69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 AM
6th Gear Poster

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

In Tucson they just plug into the OBD-II port and check readiness and function of the SES light. I imagine Phoenix metro is the same.

They also check the gas cap.

In my experience with my 1997 Cougar, 2000 Grand Marquis, and my fathers experience with his 2000 Expedition, they don't pop the hood, they don't look under it with a mirror, nothing. BUT in the link provided above, they MIGHT do a tampering check. I have not seen them do it on an OBD-II car, but all my pre 1996 cars they check them out underhood (and they even sometimes appear to know what they are looking for, but don't), entire exhaust system, holes in cats or injection tubes, etc.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
In Tucson they just plug into the OBD-II port and check readiness and function of the SES light. I imagine Phoenix metro is the same.
They also check the gas cap.
Yep that's it, no sniff.

Mike K

Stock '96 LX
Best ET 15.69
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 02:23 PM
It is nice

i had mine done about 6mnths ago. they popped the hood is all, hooked up a code reader, don't think they even checked the gas cap. i was curious why they didn't do a smog test since it says; most 2003+ cars are excluded on the sheet the dmv sent but whatever. i guess when they are swamped they dont follow the rules??? lmao

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 02:42 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
You planning an prolonged trip to this neck of the woods Justin?

math > pasta
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

New cars are exempt from testing for the first 5 years. Even so, they have been doing ODB-II testing since 2001, and when I go in with my Grand Marquis or the 97 Cougar, they forget what there names are and what they are doing. If they can't tell me to put the front wheels of my 89 Cougar (groan) on the rollers and plug in a sniffer in the tail pipe they are lost. I mean all they have to do is ask me to step into the yellow box (so I can't remotely turn on and off the CEL???), plug in and turn the key to on, see the light is on, start it, see the light is off, and the computer checks for ready and CEL not commanded on.

--
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
I almost moved to Goodyear AZ right outside of pheonix,My good friend who now lives there was telling me they smog check them like they do in California.Could be wrong though.When I was in Cali they put my car on the rollers, ran and looked for CEL's.Funny thing,my CEL was on due to a MAF and the guy told me my air/fuel was perfect.LOL

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Destructor90 Send a message via MSN to Destructor90 Send a message via Yahoo to Destructor90
yes the do sniff and scan but if you get a PO box like i did in flagstaff you dont need emission's muhahaha

Your Local Discount Tire Hook Up
1989 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe

Drive Fast, Fly Low, Be Safe
Prick Racing
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructor90
yes the do sniff and scan but if you get a PO box like i did in flagstaff you dont need emission's muhahaha
You have your legal residence address sent to a po box in flag?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Registering it in another city might work but good luck with that if you work in Tucson or Phoenix.

They are always going around to parking lots and running plates. If they run it (or know) that it is registered in an area outside the metro area, they then check to see if a emissions test is on record. If not then you get a ticket. They check for emissions compliancy, that you have changed over your plates to AZ if from another state, current, etc.

I have a 1982 F150 that I was going to register in another city because it is failing emissions. I could never drive it to work or get pulled over, even for one of its most common usages, going to the dump, they check residency since it is a county dump you have to be a resident or you pay triple to enter.

I also know people that have registered cars in other cities and never had a problem, but they didn't work in large office complexes, or do stuff to get them selves pulled over, so it all works fine for them.

--
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

You guys don't have weekly garbage pickup?

I've heard of this in some areas but never experienced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
Registering it in another city might work but good luck with that if you work in Tucson or Phoenix.

They are always going around to parking lots and running plates. If they run it (or know) that it is registered in an area outside the metro area, they then check to see if a emissions test is on record. If not then you get a ticket. They check for emissions compliancy, that you have changed over your plates to AZ if from another state, current, etc.

I have a 1982 F150 that I was going to register in another city because it is failing emissions. I could never drive it to work or get pulled over, even for one of its most common usages, going to the dump, they check residency since it is a county dump you have to be a resident or you pay triple to enter.

I also know people that have registered cars in other cities and never had a problem, but they didn't work in large office complexes, or do stuff to get them selves pulled over, so it all works fine for them.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I live outside the city limits, I pay for weekly pickup, but with construction debris and spare autoparts I still need to make dump runs.

--
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Destructor90 Send a message via MSN to Destructor90 Send a message via Yahoo to Destructor90
but even if they do that it wont matter because all my stuff for the car and drier license is set to the po box so they can screw them selfs LOL

Your Local Discount Tire Hook Up
1989 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe

Drive Fast, Fly Low, Be Safe
Prick Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in