TCCoA Forums banner

Anybody know?

772 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  The Stevinator 
#1 ·
Alright i've searched the site. My dad and I were talking earlier tonight about the possibility of finding another 3.8L and adding some ponies to it. Then got into the talks of just going with a 4.6L instead. Now my question is....

Does anybody know the P2W (Power 2 weight) ratio comparing the 3.8 to the 4.6? I'd be interested to know if anybody knows off the top of their heads. Oh yes and the stock HP of the 3.8 and 4.6

I know the 3.8 is like 145hp@210ft lbs tq. but what exactly is the 4.6L?

Thanks

#2 ·
Well, this is for a 96 cougar, but some of the numbers may be prevolent for you here:

Curb weight:
w/V6 - 3558 lb.
w/V8 - 3725 lb.

Engines:
Standard - 3.8 (232 cid) V6; 145 hp @ 4000 rpm; 215 lb-ft torque @ 2750 rpm
Optional - 4.6 (281 cid) SOHC V8; 205 hp @ 4250 rpm; 280 lb-ft torque @ 3000 rpm

#3 ·
you also have to remember the 94-95 v8 power rating was overrated and actually sits around 190hp. But Id assume if you're going to do a motor swap, you would pick a good motor, and also tweak it a bit :)
-Thomas

#4 ·
definately would pick a good motor and tweak it. Dad is willing to do it with me, and he's got a lot of experience in building high performance engines, and also building racing engines too.

What vehicle would be the best to get a used 4.6 out of? would it be better to go with one after 96, or go with a pre-96 one. Thanks for the help

#6 ·
if you want, you could grab a 4.2 v6 out of an f-150, put 99+ mustang upper intake on it, and it'll fit under the hood and require only splicing a few wiring harnesses, rather than redoing the entire wiring for the car. It should put out about 220-225hp, or even more if you do port work and other things.
-Thomas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.